How would a war with Iran go? - Page 4




 
--
 
October 6th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon
 
 
A political science professor of mine once told my class that for the last century, the US has always had some type of war every 10 years. As I look back to it, I realized that it was true. My professor said that the US needs a war every now and then to boost the economy. I don't know if this is true or not (the economic boost), but it seemed pretty interesting to me.

Fyi, this is not meant to be an anti-American/Bush statement or anything. Just something I decided to throw out there.

As for hydrogen power being an alternative power source of cars, weare still decades from that. Why? The reactors to create hydrogen energy made to fit into cars are still very very expensive. Another reason would be road rage. A hydrogen reactor with hydrogen in either gaseous or plasmic form could produce an explosion enough to take out several cars within the vicinity.

Finally, a war with Iran? The US is going to need some major major intelligence. They will have to hit Iran's nuclear sites hard and decimate most of them. I don't think the US and its allies can completely take out all of Iran's nuclear sites, but they can send a strong message telling Iran (and any other nation seeking nuclear weapons) that the world will not stand idly by as they produce weapons. They would set them back so far, that it would be simply too expensive and damaging to the spirit of the people to continue on its path. In any case, the US will need strong political and military allies along with focused intelligence.
October 6th, 2006  
Maytime
 
 
Quote:
A hydrogen reactor with hydrogen in either gaseous or plasmic form could produce an explosion enough to take out several cars within the vicinity.
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but here goes:

In some of my engineering classes, we've studied hydrogen fuel cells, and I've done multiple papers on alternative fuels. The problem doesn't lie in the volitility of the fuel containers, they've fixed that with emergency systems such as quick release foam, among other fancy stuff. The real problems are 1. Leakage, and 2. Efficiency. Hydrogen is extremely hard to contain, and it will find a way out of almost any container. That means at refueling stations, you could have much more hydrogen fumes than car would give off, and if they're trapped -say, under a roof- then you might have a problem. Also, the efficiency of a hydrogen engine is not quite up to snuff with gas internal combustion engines, making hydrogen a very cost inefficient thing, and the world runs on money, so that in itself could kill it.
October 6th, 2006  
Damien435
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRALdragon
A political science professor of mine once told my class that for the last century, the US has always had some type of war every 10 years. As I look back to it, I realized that it was true. My professor said that the US needs a war every now and then to boost the economy. I don't know if this is true or not (the economic boost), but it seemed pretty interesting to me.
Political science professors have this way of downplaying what our troops do or make them look like monsters for serving their country. My political science professor decided one day to make the following statement: "The only war that America has fought where our troops were fighting for our freedoms was the War of 1812." He went on further but I wasn't listening to his b******t that day.
--
October 6th, 2006  
Donkey
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Political science professors have this way of downplaying what our troops do or make them look like monsters for serving their country. My political science professor decided one day to make the following statement: "The only war that America has fought where our troops were fighting for our freedoms was the War of 1812." He went on further but I wasn't listening to his b******t that day.
Wow....

I suppose he believed Kerry when he said democracy was never started with a gun (something like that)...Kind of forgot about the whole revolution there but meh what is that I mean it was only the founding of the USA....like that was important or anything....
October 6th, 2006  
The Cooler King
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Political science professors have this way of downplaying what our troops do or make them look like monsters for serving their country. My political science professor decided one day to make the following statement: "The only war that America has fought where our troops were fighting for our freedoms was the War of 1812." He went on further but I wasn't listening to his b******t that day.
I would have walked right out of the room.
October 7th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytime
I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, but here goes:

In some of my engineering classes, we've studied hydrogen fuel cells, and I've done multiple papers on alternative fuels. The problem doesn't lie in the volitility of the fuel containers, they've fixed that with emergency systems such as quick release foam, among other fancy stuff. The real problems are 1. Leakage, and 2. Efficiency. Hydrogen is extremely hard to contain, and it will find a way out of almost any container. That means at refueling stations, you could have much more hydrogen fumes than car would give off, and if they're trapped -say, under a roof- then you might have a problem. Also, the efficiency of a hydrogen engine is not quite up to snuff with gas internal combustion engines, making hydrogen a very cost inefficient thing, and the world runs on money, so that in itself could kill it.
Lol I'm just going to take your word for it because what I know is only from reading and reading this stuff from science journals and magazines is like reading the waterred down kid's version. Law and biology are my departments but I strayed from engineering looooong ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Political science professors have this way of downplaying what our troops do or make them look like monsters for serving their country. My political science professor decided one day to make the following statement: "The only war that America has fought where our troops were fighting for our freedoms was the War of 1812." He went on further but I wasn't listening to his b******t that day.
Errr yea, this is what I meant from it was only a "for your info" statement. I don't think my professor was trying to downplay or disrespect anything. I think it was more of an economic than a political statement. Crappy statement from your professor btw. What a moron....
October 8th, 2006  
Englander2
 

Having read all these wonderful ideas about a war with Iran, it would seem to me, the mistakes made in Serbia, Afghanistan and Iraq, are all being ignored. The USA may intend to do good by starting all these wars, but when things go wrong, it expects the EU and Nato to clear up the mess. The best war is no war.
An attack on Iran would be the last straw for those who already believe the USA wants to destroy Islam. The armed forces of Iran can be defeated, in the same way as those of Iraq, but it would lead to yet more terrorism, also in the USA itself.
If America continues along these lines, it will destroy itself from within!
October 9th, 2006  
Donkey
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englander2
Having read all these wonderful ideas about a war with Iran, it would seem to me, the mistakes made in Serbia, Afghanistan and Iraq, are all being ignored. The USA may intend to do good by starting all these wars, but when things go wrong, it expects the EU and Nato to clear up the mess. The best war is no war.
An attack on Iran would be the last straw for those who already believe the USA wants to destroy Islam. The armed forces of Iran can be defeated, in the same way as those of Iraq, but it would lead to yet more terrorism, also in the USA itself.
If America continues along these lines, it will destroy itself from within!
Funny how Europe used the US to clean up its mess back in the forties....
October 9th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englander2
Having read all these wonderful ideas about a war with Iran, it would seem to me, the mistakes made in Serbia, Afghanistan and Iraq, are all being ignored. The USA may intend to do good by starting all these wars, but when things go wrong, it expects the EU and Nato to clear up the mess. The best war is no war.
An attack on Iran would be the last straw for those who already believe the USA wants to destroy Islam. The armed forces of Iran can be defeated, in the same way as those of Iraq, but it would lead to yet more terrorism, also in the USA itself.
If America continues along these lines, it will destroy itself from within!
I don't think the US expects the EU or NATO to "clear up the mess" in any conflict they involve themselves into. I believe they only involve them because they want to show that terrorism is not only an American problem, but a worldly problem (as the bombings in London and Madrid has shown). They involve the EU and NATO because the world views them (or at least the Western half) views them as neutral parties. Only a fool would believe that only the US is in Iraq for personal interests because France and a myriad of other nations have investments over there whether it be in oil or labor. The US is more than capable of handling a military conflict in Iraq, but the American public is fickle and once you show a few soldiers' funerals on TV, the polls reverse. Whatever happened to screw political correctness because terrorism don't play by the same rules? Or let's just get the freakin job done the way we know how? What really makes me laugh is back when the EU pledged to send troops to Lebanon after the cease-fire. France, the one nation that was vocal about the whole conflict, initially pledges 200 soldiers out of a pledged force of 15k! Italy, on the other hand, a nation that was virtually neutral about the whole issue, sends 2k soldiers! Gotta love the Italians.

I don't think America will "tear itself apart from within." America has always shown solidarity and committment through hard times. Though opinions may waver (I blame the media and their quest for ratings), Americans always seem to pull together in the end.
October 10th, 2006  
Damien435
 
 
Tearing itself apart from within rarely causes the downfall of a nation, what usually happens is a nation/empire is weakened by internal strife and then another nation or group of people take advantage of that weakness. Like the barbarians who sacked Rome, that would not have been possible if Rome hadn't been divided by civil wars, but at the same time Rome would have survived those civil wars if the barbarians hadn't been there to take advantage of that temporary weakness.
 


Similar Topics
What If Iran Gets the Bomb? Good Analysis
The Second Sino-Japanese War (1937-1945)
Pearl Harbour one more lie?????
Allies and neutrals in WW2
Iran's Military