How would you handle this Green Blue issue?




 
--
How would you handle this Green Blue issue?
 
September 16th, 2012  
USAgirl
 

Topic: How would you handle this Green Blue issue?


How would you handle this Green Blue issue?
Just curious to know how other people might handle this issue...

So now the troops in Afganistan are having to worry about a person in an Afgan uniform turning on them.

How do you handle this?

You could do a lie detector test but that would take a long time.

Some might say pull out of Afganistan today.

Some would bring in more troops and make a stronger impression.

Your thoughts?
September 16th, 2012  
Yossarian
 
 
This question would be just as valid and informative if it were asked to average Afghani Solider in the ANA.

However unfortunately this is just not an option. The insight that they could provide on their vulnerably of becoming a "ten dollar Taliban", as an alternative to government service contributes to this increasing trend no doubt.
September 17th, 2012  
USAgirl
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
This question would be just as valid and informative if it were asked to average Afghani Solider in the ANA.

However unfortunately this is just not an option. The insight that they could provide on their vulnerably of becoming a "ten dollar Taliban", as an alternative to government service contributes to this increasing trend no doubt.
Thanks Yo.

I guess there are many reasons why they would do that, cash, revenge, blackmail, they know we are leaving and are afriad not to join the Taliban..who knows

That is why my question was more about how do we handle it on our end? I just thought lie detector test but that only works if they have already turned and they would have to be on going and what if they can pass a lie test?

I know, I know, I have seen one too many bond movies.
--
How would you handle this Green Blue issue?
September 17th, 2012  
03USMC
 
 
You lift the restrictions on certain bases of locked and loaded weapons . you require all NATO Personnel to be hot. Afghanis in the ANA aren't always opening up over religion or nationalism, alot of it is a perceived insult thing, like Achmed getting a newer rifle or boots than Ahmed. They are seriously F'd in the head.
September 17th, 2012  
USAgirl
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
You lift the restrictions on certain bases of locked and loaded weapons . you require all NATO Personnel to be hot. Afghanis in the ANA aren't always opening up over religion or nationalism, alot of it is a perceived insult thing, like Achmed getting a newer rifle or boots than Ahmed. They are seriously F'd in the head.
USMC, I am a civi so I don't know exactly what those things are you mentioned but I guess it means guns with bullets but the Afgans have those too and are turning on our guys.

That is so messed up that something like a new boots or rifle would trigger such an act, I mean what can you do for that? Just have some group talk when they first arrive explaining if that is an issue to communicate it to someone and not resort to violence?
September 17th, 2012  
Capt Frogman
 
 
I don't believe there is a correct answer.

No matter what procedures you put in place, there will always be people who will find a way around it.

These attacks will continue for however long NATO/ISAF forces are there. Sad but true.
September 17th, 2012  
USAgirl
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Frogman
I don't believe there is a correct answer.

No matter what procedures you put in place, there will always be people who will find a way around it.

These attacks will continue for however long NATO/ISAF forces are there. Sad but true.
So should we not be there Capt?
September 17th, 2012  
Capt Frogman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAgirl
So should we not be there Capt?
I was part of one of the first teams on the ground when it kicked off in 2001. Things got off to a good start but 11 years on the same issues remain.

The Taliban and Al-Qaeda still operate throughout the country, and hold significant power and have endless followers. Then you have Pakistan which pretty much supports the activities of the insurgency.

But to leave now would be wrong and would send out the wrong message. We have committed ourselves until 2014 so I'd like to see us "complete" our mission. We owe that to the guys we've lost.
September 21st, 2012  
TangoWhiskey
 
 
Every way you look at this topic someone would end up offended.
Taking the rifles and ammo off the ANA would most likley result in a fued about them being treated unfairly. That could only cause more problems, especially if NATO forces were allowed to carry around weapons. If you the ANA keep the weapons, then other people are going to be angry and upset that NATO hasn't taken the weapons off them. It's really a no-win situation.
I don't personally think that we should leave Afghanistan until we have served our time over there- like Capt said, we owe that to our men and women who have sacrificed themself over there.
Australia just lost three good men over in Afghanistan to such an inccident. The only thing we can do is hope for the best, and ask that all our men and women return home safetly in 2014.
September 21st, 2012  
LeEnfield
 
 
It seems odd that Afghan troops seem to be allowed to carry loaded weapons into rest areas of Collation bases.
These days if an Afghan soldier wanted help I would make sure my mate covered him with a loaded gun with one up the breech and the safety catch off. While i was helping him i would also make sure his weapons were more than an arm length away from him
 


Similar Topics
Ballad of the Green Berets
BEE Shop Files: The Green Airman
Seals and the Green Beret
Peruvians, Chileans help guard Baghdad's Green Zone
Seals vs. Green Beret