How would you handle this Green Blue issue?

@ senojekips and I3BrigPvSk

I think you miss the point. What you are saying happens in the west too. Although not on a tribal basis but on a village level or neighborhood level and surely not as violent. All over the world people flock together in groups and defend their group against others.

The Bin Laden files clearly shows that the Taliban are not a collection of loosely knit 'tribals' with a common goal. They were created in Pakistan and ruled most of Afghanistan until they were ousted. They want their power back and when Nato leaves and the Afghans are not up to their task they will reign again, as will islamic fundumentalism.

The problem of the conflict lies in Pakistan. You cannot dry out a flooded room without turning off the taps. Problem is, Pakistan is a nuclear power. And that alone is enough to keep everyone out.

a question put forward by a student from Balochistan studying at Quad-e-Azam University, Islamabad, to a senior member of the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad was : "If [the] United States claims to be a humanitarian power set out to free the people from tyranny, then why does it refrain [from intervening] in Baluchistan?"
(The quiet rise of the Quetta Shura)

well said...first take care of pakistan then all problems will be solved...the talibs, Lashkar a taeba (Let),Jais e Mohammad all are creation of pakis and are ably supported by large influential section in pakistan i.e ISI.It was the Pak govt that supported taliban in overthrowing the then Afghan govt in 1996, it is Pak where you found OBL,it is where haqqani network operates.It is where L-e-t,jais like groups operate and kill innocents in Kashmir.

For a start, Bin Laden was the figurehead of AlQuaeda not the Taliban, and as I said in my last post he was only an appeaser, not a ruler, he was no more than a figurehead created mainly by the western Press. Had he have tried to "rule" the Taliban, the instant he tried to over rule any group or individual they would have at worst turned on him, or at best ignored him.

The Taliban will only be allied with Pakistan so long as it is in their interest.

For a start, read the Bin Laden files or here.

Is India going to do it?

remeber my post about the power of a nuclear weapon without firing one? That's why they (India, US, Nato) don't act on Pakistan.
Remember, those guys go even nuts from a cartoon or movie they don't like.

@ senojekips and I3BrigPvSk

I think you miss the point. What you are saying happens in the west too. Although not on a tribal basis but on a village level or neighborhood level and surely not as violent. All over the world people flock together in groups and defend their group against others.

The Bin Laden files clearly shows that the Taliban are not a collection of loosely knit 'tribals' with a common goal. They were created in Pakistan and ruled most of Afghanistan until they were ousted. They want their power back and when Nato leaves and the Afghans are not up to their task they will reign again, as will islamic fundumentalism.

The problem of the conflict lies in Pakistan. You cannot dry out a flooded room without turning off the taps. Problem is, Pakistan is a nuclear power. And that alone is enough to keep everyone out.

a question put forward by a student from Balochistan studying at Quad-e-Azam University, Islamabad, to a senior member of the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad was : "If [the] United States claims to be a humanitarian power set out to free the people from tyranny, then why does it refrain [from intervening] in Baluchistan?"
(The quiet rise of the Quetta Shura)

It rather happened in the West a long time ago. These clans, tribes, and extended families are related to each other by blood or by marriage. In the US and Canada, religious groups can settle together. These clans and tribes are more like the aboriginal tribes in the US and Canada. I don't know if there are different tribes and clans in the aboriginal societies in Australia and New Zealand.

For a start, read the Bin Laden files or here.
I say again, Bin laden was NOT the leader of the Taliban, and has never been recognised as such by anyone, below is a list of the acknowledged past and present Taliban leaders both dead and alive. Bin Ladin is not mentioned.
NamePosition Situation
Mullah John Smith First Deputy Council of Ministers
Abdul Rahman Zahed Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs
  • Allegedly created an impression that he entered Pakistan after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, but had returned before the end of 2001 to his home village in Loghar province;[2]
  • at large
Reported to be a leader in the Taliban's Quetta Shura.[1] Reported captured in late February 2010.[1]
Mullah Ubaidullah Akhund Minister of Defense
  • Captured by Pakistani forces, late Feb. 2007 [3] Died of heart disease in a Pakistan prison in 2010[4][5]
Mullah Abdul Razaq Commerce Minister
  • Afghan forces captured Razaq while scouring a rugged mountainous region north of Kandahar, April 1, 2003.[6] Razaq's son, Abdul, had been killed on September 5, 2002 as he tried to shoot President Hamid Karzai.[citation needed] Abdul Razaq testified he had merely started out as a civilian, conscripted into Afghanistan's civil service by the Pakistan[clarification needed] who was promoted to Commerce Minister, without ever becoming a member of the Taliban.[7] He testified he had taken advantage of an amnesty Karzai offered when the Taliban fell, and had not been involved in politics since the fall of the Taliban.
Mullah Khaksar Akhund Deputy Minister of Interior Affairs
  • Staged a public press conference in Kabul, late November, 2001 and denounced the Taliban; by August 2002, he supports the U.S.-backed Afghan government of Hamid Karzai;[8] at large
Qari Ahmadullah Minister of Security (Intelligence)
  • Killed in late December 2001 by a United States bombing raid in the Paktia province [9]
Mullah Nooruddin Turabi Minister of Justice
  • Allegedly sheltered in Quetta by Pakistani officials by the end of 2001;[2] captured by United States forces and then set free and given general amnesty in early January 2002 [10][11]
Amir Khan Muttaqi Minister of Culture & Information
  • Allegedly moved to Peshawar, Pakistan before the end of 2001 and still "hiding out in the Pakistani frontier" March 19, 2002;[2][12]
  • still at large
Mullah Ghausuddin

Mullah Abbas Akhund Minister of Health
  • In February 2002, he was "hiding with his military force about 5 miles from Uruzgan village";[14]
  • at large
Mawlawi Abdul Raqib First Deputy Council of Ministers
  • Unknown (is he the same Abdul Raqib as the official from the agriculture department in 2003? [1])
Mullah Omar Spiritual leader
remeber my post about the power of a nuclear weapon without firing one? That's why they (India, US, Nato) don't act on Pakistan.
Remember, those guys go even nuts from a cartoon or movie they don't like.
You should try to teach your Grandmother to suck eggs, I wasn't asking you,.... I wanted Zhaldev to elaborate.

Last edited:
What a lot of you is forgetting is that Pakistan is a nuclear power and has the bomb which then changes the game plan

I say again, Bin laden was NOT the leader of the Taliban, and has never been recognised as such by anyone, below is a list of the acknowledged past and present Taliban leaders both dead and alive. Bin Ladin is not mentioned.
You should try to teach your Grandmother to suck eggs, I wasn't asking you,.... I wanted Zhaldev to elaborate.

Read the files! I never said that Bin laden was the head of the Taliban. What I did was disprove your picture that the Taliban was a collection of loosely knit 'tribals' with a common goal. They were not!

Read the files! I never said that Bin laden was the head of the Taliban. What I did was disprove your picture that the Taliban was a collection of loosely knit 'tribals' with a common goal. They were not!
You really can't see the forest for the trees can you?

In a country where family and tribal affiliations control absolutely every aspect of life, from day to day interpersonal relationships right through to the sitting Government, you expect us to believe that the Taliban fighters, who are for the most part illiterate and superstitious tribals from the poorest and most backward rural areas are a tightly knit and highly integrated organisation? They have fought among themselves for centuries, only coming together where there is a greater common interest, and the instant that problem is dealt with, they will move to the next problem and form new alliances as are necessary to deal with it, eventually they will revert to inter family and inter tribal feuding again.

Motivation, not integration is their binding force.

Last edited:
You really can't see the forest for the trees can you?

In a country where family and tribal affiliations control absolutely every aspect of life, from day to day interpersonal relationships right through to the sitting Government, you expect us to believe that the Taliban fighters, who are for the most part illiterate and superstitious tribals from the poorest and most backward rural areas are a tightly knit and highly integrated organisation? They have fought among themselves for centuries, only coming together where there is a greater common interest, and the instant that problem is dealt with, they will move to the next problem and form new alliances as are necessary to deal with it, eventually they will revert to inter family and inter tribal feuding again.

Motivation, not integration is their binding force.

When are you going to do some research yourself instead of looking for confirmations of your own mind?

Read this.

But I'll quote some : "The Taliban, in contrast, were extremely well organized, well-financed and exhibited strong discipline.·"

And everything you told above is subordinate to Taliban rule. They have done that before , you know.

Afghan forces. Green-on-blue attacks. My solution

Split up the Afghan green force into two distinct forces -
  • a national Afghan army which Afghans pay for and is commanded by the Afghan president and whichever general he/she wants to appoint. (“dark green”)

• a NATO-ISAF auxiliary force of Afghans and others, funded by the US and other NATO countries and international donors. This would be commanded by our generals. (“light green”)

The Afghan National Army, the "green" force is rotten, if not to its core then to much of the periphery. Some of the green is more like gangrene (gan-green, get it! :wink: )

The problem I see is in the disconnect between the political control (Karzai) and the funding (mostly from the USA but anyway internationally funded).

Wikipedia: Afghan National Army
The new Afghan National Army was founded with the issue of a decree by President Hamid Karzai on December 1, 2002

Karzai as the "duly" (ahem) elected president of Afghanistan is perfectly entitled to run an Afghan national army but Afghans should pay for that themselves.

Afghanistan is a poor nation and could not afford that much of an army but if they paid for it themselves, at least the Afghan national army would likely be honest, accountable to Afghans and take on limited tasks - secure the presidential palace, military headquarters and might be up to defending the capital Kabul and surrounding land, maybe.

Now the issue is this - to secure all of Afghanistan, even to secure our supply routes, we need lots of troops and it makes sense to have some kind of Afghan force to help us - but we need a bigger and better green force than the Afghans can afford to pay for. (Also why would a national Afghan force want to prioritise defending our supply routes? They wouldn't want to.)

So the West, NATO needs to pay for some green Afghan forces - that's a good idea, if, if, if, if and only if, those green forces we are paying for are auxiliary to NATO-ISAF - run by NATO-ISAF - under the control of a NATO general, maybe an American general if you could find a good one to do it.

That way we would only recruit capable Afghans into the green force we pay for and interact with daily. We'd be sure our green troops were loyal - wouldn't shoot our blue troops.

No way would we have any incentive to spend our own money on disloyal incapable Afghans in green uniform so we would not do it, if we had political and military control over our green forces, which we would have if they were called "The NATO-ISAF Afghan auxiliary force" - with no pretence of them being an Afghan national force under Karzai.

However, some idiot has come up with the idea of paying Afghans to have an army funded by us but controlled by Karzai so there is no accountability. The people in charge, deciding who to recruit, can recruit bad soldiers because they get paid more by the US for soldiers, whether they be bad soldiers or not.

Why wouldn't Karzai and this guy

250px-Sher_Mohammad_Karimi_in_2010.jpg

Lt. Gen. Sher Mohammad Karim, Commander of the Afghan National Army

recruit junkies, thieves, murderers and agents for the Taliban into the Afghan National Army?

Why wouldn't they recruit anybody they can find into the Afghan national army if, for every soldier they can name, they get paid more US dollars?

Where's the incentive for Karzai and Karim to recruit only good soldiers? There isn't any incentive at all.

Again the US ends up funding corruption.

If a green soldier kills a blue then who gets held responsible in the chain of command?

Nobody gets held responsible.

Who should get held responsible? The US and NATO should. We should blame ourselves for paying anything for an army which we do not have any political control over.

What on earth does Panetta (and what did Gates before him) think he is (was) doing trusting this guy Karzai and his general Karim with billions of US tax-payer dollars to pay for a green army?

Why are NATO defence ministers happy with the poor leadership from NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the NATO Supreme Allied Commander Admiral James Stavridis? Shouldn't the NATO leaders have spotted this fatal flaw in green troop organisation and tried to re-organise green forces as I suggest here, if they know what they are doing (which they don't)?

The competent answer to green on blue attacks is to split up the Afghan army into two distinct forces -

• a national Afghan army which Afghans pay for and is commanded by the Afghan president and whichever general he/she wants to appoint. (dark green)
  • a NATO-ISAF auxiliary force of Afghans, funded by the US and other NATO counties and international donors. This would be commanded by our generals. (light green)

So there should be two green armies - each of a different shade of green. Karzai's dark green he would use to defend himself and his capital. Our light green we would use to defend our supply routes and to support our operations in Afghanistan generally.

Only when the Afghan economy had grown to the point that they could afford to pay for a big enough army to defend the whole country would we transfer our light green army over to Afghan national control and then we could leave Afghanistan in the hands of Afghans.

So long as we are paying for an Afghan force we must retain political control over it otherwise it fuels corruption and does little or nothing to help to fight the enemy we are trying to defeat and the green-on-blue attacks simply undermine political support for the whole Afghanistan / Pakistan mission.

Is India going to do it?

Hi sorry for late reply...internet broke down,still to patch up...yes India is going to do it sooner or later but without instigating any direct conflict or probably by supporting separatist in Baluchistan or northwest front region.However direct conflict is out of question as for obvious reasons.

Hi sorry for late reply...internet broke down,still to patch up...yes India is going to do it sooner or later but without instigating any direct conflict or probably by supporting separatist in Baluchistan or northwest front region.However direct conflict is out of question as for obvious reasons.
I can't disagree with that:smile:

The Americans need to handle nothin. They need to pack up and go home leaving the Afghans to sort out their affairs.

Back