How is the weather like where you are now?!

Bloody? Then you are a english now!

It is cold out there. It is fun to do the PT out there. OOH-RAH!!

If you were only here......

I just got done going through 72.6 hours without power.(3 days)

I live in Michigan and we got hit by a monster ice storm with winds in excess of 40 miles an hour. Heavy ice along with high winds took down power lines all over the state. Over 48,000 citizens were without power for an extended period and we had crews from all over the country come in to help restore power. Until road crews could get out and spread salt and until the sun melted some the ice from the roadbeds, roads were very very treacherous.

I was fortunate that my stove uses propane and doesn't require electricity to light the oven. During the hours that the wife and I were up and around, we lit the oven and left the door ajar to provide heat for the living room and kitchen. That was a very good thing since the temperature outside was hovering around 20 degrees or lower during the daytime and around 5 degrees at night with wind chill below zero degrees.

We used three hurricane lanterns and numerous candles for light and a little additional heat for those dark hours while we were still up. A small battery operated radio allowed to keep up with the news and periodic calls to Consumers Energy gave us updates as to when power would be restored. The lanterns allowed me to read numerous books and allowed my wife to do some of her knitting which wiled away the hours without television or computer access. Water for coffee and for drinking wasn't a problem as we have a water jug fed fountain - our well water is undrinkable. Melted snow provided water for our john flushing.

During those sleepy time hours, we used every blanket in the house to keep warm. 11 cats and 1 dog added their body heat so we slept warm and comfy even though it was cold enough that we ended up with icicles and sheet ice on the inside of our storm door windows (due to water vapor from our breaths).

When the power came back on, we discovered that our water lines were frozen. It is fortunate that I have had problems before with frozen pipes and knew what to do, I removed the dryer duct from the outside vent and aimed it at the water line where it comes out of the ground to enter the house and the pipes were thawed in about 2 1/2 hours.

The ONLY lasting damage was a poor 6 inch diameter poplar tree that the winds managed to blow over.

Due to the amount of damage to the power grid, the crews working to restore power did an admirable job under trying conditions.

Snowing and the streets full of dirt. Raining at some moments. Weird weather. Nothing pleasant. I wish it were spring.

Back