How under-equipped were the Americans in WWI?

Yin717

I was watching a documentary last night that was looking at the end of the war and it talked about the Americans entrance to the war. Now, I knew that the Americans wouldn't have been up to date on trench warfare and wouldn't have had as much good technology as Britain or France but I was shocked to discover this. They had very little combat experience (supposedly) other than clashes in southern America. They had no tanks (not the end of the world) a poor navy, poor rifle's and no helmets. They had to borrow French ones until they adopted the British. What I want to know is, were they really this badly equipped? And if so, did Britain want them to join the war just for their manpower (which would of had to be provided by conscription for I remember the documentary mentioning they only had 100,000 men). Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I was watching a documentary last night that was looking at the end of the war and it talked about the Americans entrance to the war. Now, I knew that the Americans wouldn't have been up to date on trench warfare and wouldn't have had as much good technology as Britain or France but I was shocked to discover this. They had very little combat experience (supposedly) other than clashes in southern America. They had no tanks (not the end of the world) a poor navy, poor rifle's and no helmets. They had to borrow French ones until they adopted the British. What I want to know is, were they really this badly equipped? And if so, did Britain want them to join the war just for their manpower (which would of had to be provided by conscription for I remember the documentary mentioning they only had 100,000 men). Any information would be greatly appreciated.
The Army was very small. Pershing got to be the Commander because he was the most expierienced General, having led a few thousand troops into Mexico on an expedition chasing Poncho Villa after Villa's Raid on Columbus, New Mexico. The 1903 Springfield was a good rifle, just not a lot on hand & the Springfield Armory had limited capacity. Fortunately Remington & Winchester was set up making P14 rifles, and the design allowed them to be redesigned & manufactured for the 30-'06 with out much of a problem. The UK did look @ the US as a source of cannon fodder. Pershing, fortunatly, was able to get Washington to refuse US service under the British. Interestingly enough the B.A.R. was available late in the War, but not deployed because they were afraid(reportedly) that the Germans would capture some & copy it.

The Americans lacked Steel helmets when they arrived in France, they tried the French style and then went over to the British style which many of them were provided by GB. Also they lacked both Aircraft and Artillery in any numbers and again this was provided by GB. I don't think that any one was to worried about who commanded the Americans but the additional manpower was greatly welcomed. Okay there was a question about the American working with either the French or the British Army, and Pershing insisted that it should be under his control which it was and they were given there own section of the front as soon as they were strong enough in numbers to take on this role. The thing was were as the British and French had learned from some of their set battles where they had lost a large number of troops when making a frontal attack, the Americans then went on to do the same thing that rest of allied forces had stopped doing. The British by the time the Americans had arrived were using creeping artillery barrages and and massed tanks to assault the German lines, which gave them immense advantages.

Also, the AEF received the French Chauchat MG which was surely not the best available, though possibly the cheaper and easier to build. I think it was chambered to the American standard ammunition, but I'm unsure about this.

Also, the AEF received the French Chauchat MG which was surely not the best available, though possibly the cheaper and easier to build. I think it was chambered to the American standard ammunition, but I'm unsure about this.
Yes, redone from the original rimmed 8mm Lebel to rimless 30-06, Hard to say it it made the Chauchat worse than normal or not.

The US Navy was second only to the British Navy. The USN had more and better ships that the German High Seas Fleet, and, like the British and unlike the Germans, the US Navy was fit for duty after a long sea voyage. The Best US ships stayed back because the Brits (ed. al) had plenty of coal, and not a lot of oil, so the US Navy sent coal fired ships.

As for the soldiers' kit, the only weapons the US had at the beginning of WWI that were "world class" were the Springfield Rifle and the Colt(.45) Pistol. All the rest was (insert derisive expletive here).

By the end of the war, Browning had created the .30 and .50 Machine Gun and the BAR. The US learned from their errors.

By the end of the war, Browning had created the .30 and .50 Machine Gun and the BAR. The US learned from their errors.

I also believed they created the Thompson Sub-machine gun to end trench warfare...but they ran out of time to try it.

Thanks for that info by the way.

The M1897 Trench Gun earned its name in WW1 as well. It was very effective in the trenches. It was so effective that the Germans actually tried to outlaw its use diplomatically.

Back