How do you think I'd fare?

Wolf

Hi guys,
I haven't posted here in a while; life's been busy... but I'm visiting to check up on some friends and receive some opinions or advice. I'm coming up to the point, now, where I'll be enlisting into the USMC between a year and a half to two years. I have ambitions in the service and want to be as prepared to take on the first steps into and after Basic as I can.

I'm approximately 5'9'', 120 lbs.. Not a big guy. I'm moderately athletic, slim but not bony, with what I would believe to be a light-to-medium build. I can lift my own weight -- if it counts for anything -- and enjoy a physical challenge, especially when it involves actively moving.

My primary concern is that, again, I'm not a big guy. One of my buddies in the corps told me the smallest guy in his platoon was 130 lbs., but was an experienced cross country runner. This was slightly worrying for me, because, although I love to play sports and exercise, I have no formal athletic conditioning.

Per set, I can currently do about 50 push-ups, 10 pull-ups (dead man), 50 squats, and 50 crunches. I can swim. My weak spots are my chest and my buttocks/hips (working on it). I'm left-handed. I have an interest in linguistics as a secondary skill. I enjoy the outdoors and hiking. I've never fired a gun in my life. I wear glasses.

I still have work to do, but any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you do 50 pushups in one minute? Same with the crunches?
Glasses will probably be a pain but some Marines wear glasses so I think you'll be alright. What's your 3 mile time?

Do you do 50 pushups in one minute? Same with the crunches?
Glasses will probably be a pain but some Marines wear glasses so I think you'll be alright. What's your 3 mile time?
Yes, I can do both 50 push-ups and crunches in a little under one minute.
I haven't timed myself running yet. I do 30 minute jogging sessions on a treadmill daily, but that's about it. Have any tips?

I've been considering getting eye surgery at some point -- you messaged me some info a while back that I can refer to later. Otherwise, I could definitely imagine my glasses being a pain. :pirate2:

Running is just different for everyone. I run on the balls of my feet. For others it seems to be uncomfortable.
As for pushups and situps, you should be able to do at least 100 untimed. But doing 50 each in under a minute is still very good.
Keep up the good work.

Running is just different for everyone. I run on the balls of my feet. For others it seems to be uncomfortable.
As for pushups and situps, you should be able to do at least 100 untimed. But doing 50 each in under a minute is still very good.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks.

100 each, untimed. I'll make that something to maintain as a goal.
As for running, I think I also run on the balls of my feet. What would be the standard time for a 3 mile run?

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO 6100.13.pdf

This is the CFT and PFT requirements. Your best bet is to make sure you can pass both of them before you get in to BOOT. Also just so you know if you are concerned with performance or a certain regulation you can search for it at the following:

http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/u...StoryDate&sortDir=DESC&pageIndex=0&FirstRow=0

You have a few options under PUBLICATIONS on the left. If you aren't sure just do an open search.

If you still can't find it and you want to know if it is good enough...

it isn't so just do it better.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO 6100.13.pdf

This is the CFT and PFT requirements. Your best bet is to make sure you can pass both of them before you get in to BOOT. Also just so you know if you are concerned with performance or a certain regulation you can search for it at the following:

http://www.marines.mil/news/Pages/u...StoryDate&sortDir=DESC&pageIndex=0&FirstRow=0

You have a few options under PUBLICATIONS on the left. If you aren't sure just do an open search.

If you still can't find it and you want to know if it is good enough...

it isn't so just do it better.
That's great info. I'll make good use of these, thank you.

I absolutely despised running when I was in.....still do, lol.

All you need is HEART. If you want to do it, you'll make it....just believe in yourself and have heart.

Good Luck and Thanks for supporting your Country,

It all depends on your attitude to every thing that you face. Just get on with your tasks with out moaning and if you can laugh as well you will do well

Back