How do these MBTs compare to the "Big 4"

Pale Rider, with respect, I disagrree. Take a look at the specified weight for the Mk 2- 65 tons. Now mentally place a Mk4 next to it. The idea that such an increase in size, along with an increase in protection, larger main armament and larger engine could be gained for a ton or two is absurd. The Mk 2 with additional armor weighs more than 68 tons, so I dont thing that 75 tons or even 80 for the Mk 4 is impossible.

Pale Rider, with respect, I disagrree. Take a look at the specified weight for the Mk 2- 65 tons. Now mentally place a Mk4 next to it. The idea that such an increase in size, along with an increase in protection, larger main armament and larger engine could be gained for a ton or two is absurd. The Mk 2 with additional armor weighs more than 68 tons, so I dont thing that 75 tons or even 80 for the Mk 4 is impossible.

You have to take a look at what exactly that add on armor consists of as far as material goes, the heaviest tank currently serving would be the M1A2 SEP with Tusk and belly armor, here we are talking in access of 72 short tons, and I do not say that with pride, this has become a bugger on the suspension.

Unfortunatly my fried, I could not tell you what the add on armor on the Mk2 consists of, even if I knew(which I dont). I certinly couldent tell you about the Mk 4. I have my ideas but even those ideas are hardly somthing I would share here, as I have a very strong intrest in the Mk 4s not being penetrated...Wouldent want to visit my friends in hospitals or cemetries. :)

Unfortunatly my fried, I could not tell you what the add on armor on the Mk2 consists of, even if I knew(which I dont). I certinly couldent tell you about the Mk 4. I have my ideas but even those ideas are hardly somthing I would share here, as I have a very strong intrest in the Mk 4s not being penetrated...Wouldent want to visit my friends in hospitals or cemetries. :)

I have a really good idea what it is also but will keep my opinion to myself due to OPSEC, I just cannot see the Merkava 4 getting to that weight class, especially the way that the turret structure is designed, even with added belly armor which 4 series has now. Maybe 67 short tons tops. Also as a side note that switching from 105mm to 120mm gave a weight gain of around 800lbs, that should be it.:)

now i am curious to know just how much of an intimate encounter you had with the mk 4. Ever seen one in person or in pictures that have things partly dismantled/damaged?

now i am curious to know just how much of an intimate encounter you had with the mk 4. Ever seen one in person or in pictures that have things partly dismantled/damaged?

Now Sherman we should not be discussing that type of information. All I will state is that Merkava 4 is more than likely the best protected tank during present times in terms of all around protection, and they did this with a modular armor package that will continue to mature with better capability in ballistic protection.

That would do it and add far greater weight to your opinions about the well...weight.

The nice thing about Israeli and French Modular armor packages is that you have taken advantage of some really good composite type materials, this reduces the weight factor, enough said and no more comments from me in regards to this. also you do realize that countries have reached out to your country for assistance in some technology advances in armor vehicle advances. The reason why the M1A1 heavy thru M1A2 is so beefy is due in part because of DU protection, very dense material.

Back