How the term Devil Dog came into being.

SniperWannabee

This well known term came into being during WW1. the name was given after the battle of belleau wood. the name was given to them from the germans because of our unwillingness to retreat. they wood shell them and blast them, but they never stoped the attck untill they were either or the position or positions were taken.

The term that the germans used is TEUFELHUNDE!!!!!
DEVIL DOGS RULE!!!!!

silent driller said:
YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW! That is one rich bit of history there! Dan Daly won the CMoH here.

I know this is an old friend but ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Nope Sorry.

Gunnery Sergeant Daley won one Medal of Honor during the Boxer Rebellion and his Second Medal of Honor in Haiti before the First World war.

He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for actions dring WWI .

03USMC said:
silent driller said:
YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAW! That is one rich bit of history there! Dan Daly won the CMoH here.

Gunnery Sergeant Daley won one Medal of Honor during the Boxer Rebellion and his Second Medal of Honor in Haiti before the First World war.

so the history books we use for jrotc are wrong? :?: :shock:

rotc boy said:
03USMC said:
silent driller said:

so the history books we use for jrotc are wrong? :?: :shock:

Yeah. 1st award to PVT. Dan Daley 1901 for actions in the Boxer Rebellion in 1900.

2nd Award of MOH to GySgt Dan Daley 1915 for actions in Haiti.

Recieved Distinguished Service Cross for actions at Belleau Woods Authorizing authority Commanding General J.J. Pershing AEF.

Btw, only 19 men have been awarded the Medal of Honor (MH not CMoH) twice. Gunnery Sergeant Daley is in a very select group.

History Books can be wrong quite often as in this example: Audie Murphy was the most decorated solider in WWII and in American History.

False. Goes to Lt. Col. Matt Urban, however, due to paperwork mixups did not recieve several awards, including the CMOH until President Carter's Administration.

what is the difference between teh Medal of honor and the congressional medal of honor?

There is only the Medal of Honor, Locke. It is often incorrectly called the "Congressional Medal of Honor" because it requires Congress to approve the award but also, I'm sure, because people like the longer name as it sounds more honorific. It is offically named the Medal of Honor (MH).

i love the little part in black hawk down where Bowden relates that he went to i think it was Gary Gordons home town to do a talk on the medal of honor and he went to the local library to read up on the medal and he was flicking thorugh the pages of this book, and he found that before him, the last person to borrow the book had been gary gordon when he was in his teens.
and the reading of that part from Henry V, its awesome

Both sides used dogs for trench clearance, the Germans used their German Shepherds, the British used Airdales. The Airdale is almost the same size as a German Shepherd and is a Terrier and is the largest one of the dog family and when goes in it will happily kill.

Back