How Smart Is Your State?

Missileer

States Ranked: Smartest to Dumbest
The smartest state in the union for the second consecutive year is Massachusetts.

The dumbest, for the third year in a row, is New Mexico.

These are the findings of the Education State Rankings, a survey by Morgan Quitno Press of hundreds of public school systems in all 50 states. States were graded on a variety of factors based on how they compare to the national average. These included such positive attributes as per-pupil expenditures, public high school graduation rates, average class size, student reading and math proficiency, and pupil-teacher ratios. States received negative points for high drop-out rates and physical violence.

How does YOUR state rank?

1. Massachusetts
2. Connecticut
3. Vermont
4. New Jersey
5. Wisconsin
6. New York
7. Minnesota
8. Iowa
9. Pennsylvania
10. Montana
11. Maine
12. Virginia
13. Nebraska
14. New Hampshire
15. Kansas
16. Wyoming
17. Indiana
18. Maryland
19. North Dakota
20. Ohio
21. Colorado
22. South Dakota
23. Rhode Island
24. Illinois
25. North Carolina
26. Missouri
27. Delaware
28. Utah
29. Idaho
30. Washington
31. Michigan
32. South Carolina
33. Texas and West Virginia (tie)
34. Oregon
35. Arkansas
36. Kentucky
37. Georgia
38. Florida
39. Oklahoma
40. Tennessee
41. Hawaii
42. California
43. Alabama
44. Alaska
45. Louisiana
46. Mississippi
47. Arizona
48. Nevada
49. New Mexico

Where does this info come from, and why are there only 49 listed states? Don't tell me it comes from MA ! MA has always tried to be #1 in expenditures, they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing ;)
Not that they don't deserve every cent, but the average teacher's salary in MA in 2003-2004 was $51,181, behind only Michigan and D.C..
Regarding salaries, the teachers' union (NEA) said "Teachers should never have to choose between doing what they love and supporting their families," the group's president, Reg Weaver, said Thursday. "We can't continue to ask them to fulfill such an important mission without providing the support they deserve."
For the same year, New Mexico paid their teachers an average salary of $38,067.
BTW, I have two daughters who are teachers and the more money they make, the less they ask of me.
My point is that it makes sense to me that the more that is spent on education, including salaries, the better the results. I say that even though I am a product of the MA public school system (including UMass) and I'm not regularly accused of being overly intelligent :confused:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-25-teacher-salary-raise_x.htm

Back