How sincere are all those yellow ribbons on cars?

--
Boots

December 21st, 2004  
Charge 7

Topic: How sincere are all those yellow ribbons on cars?

Okay first I have to make the disclaimer that this was an isolated incident and maybe not truly representational of all who have yellow ribbons by any means. I did think it was noteworthy though and thought I'd pass it on to you .

I live in a state where it gets very, very cold this time of year. On a long stretch of road the other day my car broke down with temps at -10 F. I got out and started walking the six miles it would've taken me to reach the nearest town. I was wearing Army field pants, Mickey Mouse boots and an Army parka which is the best extreme winter clothing I own. It wasn't hard to figure out I was probably a vet if not still in service. Car after car with yellow ribbons on the back passed me by as I held out my thumb and got colder and colder. Finally a car without a yellow ribbon stopped and picked me up. The driver was a Bosnian Muslim! He told me he was so grateful for US military action in his homeland that he would've taken me anywhere. There was somebody who knew the true value of those who serve. I was left wondering if most of the yellow ribbons are just lip service.
December 21st, 2004  
03USMC

I think alot of them are. It makes people feel special . It's a look at me I care. When in reality they could less.

I have alot more regard for those vehicles displaying both the yellow ribbon and a branch decal. Or a vehicle displaying a blue star decal.
December 21st, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Well, there's the old song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" about two lovers. If he saw the yellow when he came home from the war, that meant she waited for him. If there wasn't a yellow ribbon, he'd just keep going cuz that meant she didn't wait for him.

That's the orginal meaning of course. The current use means to support our troops. If someone puts that on their vehicle or house, even if its a very passive support, its still support. Deeper meaning than that may or may not exist.
--
Boots
December 22nd, 2004  
Charge 7

I'm old enough to remember when that song came out from Tony Orlando and Dawn and it was about a guy coming back from prison, not war. Passive support? Well maybe, I'm inclined to agree more with 03USMC and see it as a "me too" rather than anything meaningful. There is a unit who's motto translates from the Latin as "Deeds Not Words". Nuff said.
December 22nd, 2004  
godofthunder9010

The most passive of support beats the hell outa war protests IMHO. But yes, the degree of support cannot really be attached to the yellow ribbon business. I agree that 03USMC was correct about what motivates some of them.
December 22nd, 2004  
Charge 7

Well uh yeah. I don't recall mentioning war protests though. However I don't find insincerity much better.
December 22nd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

We have a yellow ribbon on our car- I don't go around shaking veteran's hands. And you know, we probably wouldn't have stopped, either. I doubt we would have thought you a vet, more like a hunter or something. A hunter who might be crazy!

If it means anything, I keep myself constantly informed on our military and the geopoltical situation around the world, aswell I plan to join the service when I get older.
December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yeah, in the US you're taking a risk when you stop for someone in cammies. Heck, could be those crazy militias.
December 22nd, 2004  
chewie_nz

probably wanted to avoid this!

December 22nd, 2004  
texasrebel211

i guess u have the whole scary dude you might jack ur card or something like that but it is irony that the person who stopped was a Bosnian Muslim

Most people have no connection or don't care so yes, IMO it is lip service. My dad was in the first gulf war, i have 1 cousin over there now and another one is going over there in a couple weeks.

Besides, with the guns we have in my car, all hell would break loose if he tried to pull something lol.