How sincere are all those yellow ribbons on cars? - Page 2

--
Boots

December 22nd, 2004  
Charge 7

Did you see the part where I mentioned it was -10 out? And that's without the windchill factor. Not many crazies out in those temps. Also they had to have passed by my car some miles back with its hood up. Nobody's out in temps like that hunting. Your skin freezes instantly on contact to the air and it's a matter of life and limb whether anybody picks you up.
December 22nd, 2004  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Oh yeah, that's -10 Fahrenheit. That would be -23.3 Celsius.
lol thanks for clearing that up for those of us on the metric system. here i was thinking "what a pussy, minus 10 is nothing"

sorry, -23 IS something! jesus
December 22nd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Did you see the part where I mentioned it was -10 out? And that's without the windchill factor. Not many crazies out in those temps. Also they had to have passed by my car some miles back with its hood up. Nobody's out in temps like that hunting. Your skin freezes instantly on contact to the air and it's a matter of life and limb whether anybody picks you up.
ah that's true, simply seeing the car back there would have sold me, let alone if you were a vet or not.
--
Boots
December 22nd, 2004  
Charge 7

Thank you. That's all I wanted. Just a little understanding of the stakes involved. I guess I thought you'd see that "F" in my original post and do a conversion to metric, but that was probably expecting too much he he. Oh yeah another thing, no crazy would be wearing Mickey Mouse boots. As anybody could tell you who's worn them you couldn't run down a 3 year old in them. I doubt many civvies would know that though. Also this state has about a dozen murders all year if that. Most of them some drunk killing his old lady. Not exactly crazy town. You couldn't have known that from my original post though.
December 22nd, 2004  
chewie_nz

as for the "F" thing, meh habit i'm afraid. i have precisly ZERO experience with other measuremnet systems.

a couple of years ago some people died i the central north island of NZ after they left their broken down car in the middle of a snow storm
December 22nd, 2004  
EagleZtrike

You do gotta admit though some people are afraid of hitchhikers because of everything they heard of dangerous people.
December 22nd, 2004  
03USMC

I live in a rural area myself with a very low crime rate. Outside cow tipping. Although we do have a bad meth problem. At -10 you stop for someone anyone. Here it's called concern. I will admit that being in law enforcement I may have a different take on the hitchhiker thing but if I was off duty and didn't stop I'd hate to work the popsicile call the next shift.

And yeah Mickey Mouse Boots are dead give away that you are connected to the military. Point is the yellow stickers don't have the meaning to the Majority of the populace that they do to Vet's and Service Members/families of service members. IMO outside of those groups most support is very limited.

My father served in the Navy in the late 40's to the mid 50's. He's told me stories of hitchhiking home on leave from Nofolk Va. to Scranton Pa. And making it in less than a day. No one would pass up a uniformed Sailor. They'd pass you up today without batting an eye.
December 22nd, 2004  
A Can of Man

I heard in Israel they stop for soldiers too.
December 22nd, 2004  
texasrebel211

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I heard in Israel they stop for soldiers too.
I think anyone would if they were getting bombed constantly, they truly appreciate their armed forces.
December 22nd, 2004  
Missileer

Most of the magnet ribbons and flags are at the checkout counter in liquor stores and a lot of people buy them as a novelty, which they are free to do. I personally put them on my cars to show not only support for the troops, which is number one, but to show that I support what America is attempting to accomplish when so few other Nations are willing to do any heavy lifting. I guess you could say I stepped over the line in the sand as the defenders are said to have done at the Alamo. "Cowards die many times, the valiant taste of death but once".