How do you see the Philippines as an ally?

Brotchador

How do you as a person see the Philippines as an ally in the fight against terrorism? please be candid and let this be a no holds barred subject.

gee..well for honesty:

I see the philippines as very crucial..because when the current areas of muslim influence shrink smaller in the form of shelter for the true terrorists..the outer lying, not as well reconised areas of muslim influence may be looked at as a sanctuary.

The philippines not only offers a potential sympathetic ideology population area..its also offers a virtually chaotic pristine jungle environment to hide in. and lots of still uninhabited area...now i don't know about anyone else...but should this happen..i would want the philippines to be on the side not affiliated with the terrorists...

So its very very important. :D

I'm a little surprised more hasn't been said about phili, I would think conflict will be inevitable. Not with the gov. itself, just Islamic extremist factions.

Its kinda like the thread about Iceland, the Phillipines are a crucial ally in the Pacific. They are perfectly situated for an allied central base of opperations in any future Pacific war. From there, you can respond to threats in the smaller island nations to the east and southeast. You can move to support Australia if they're in trouble and still be well positioned to help Japan, South Korea or Taiwan if they need help. You have good access to the mainland if you need it. You can get to Malasia, Singapore, Indonesia and all of Indochina if there is a need. So yeah, the Phillipines are a VERY important ally.

Important.

I guess muslim is not a big population in Philipines.
Majority is Christians I believe.

And many Philipino's have Chinese ancestors I read, even your lady president too.

Very important for China too.

FlyingFrog said:
And many Philipino's have Chinese ancestors I read, even your lady president too.

What does that have to do with anything?

Big_Z said:
FlyingFrog said:

What does that have to do with anything?

That means if China needs to take the Philippines, the leaders can rest easily knowing their populous is already educated on an excuse.

The Philippines have it rough. They fight terrorist on a daily basis, just as much as Israel if not more. I think its great that American SF can help your guys out as much as possible. You guys are pretty much on the front lines of the war on terror and America is glad to help you in any possible way.

The Israelis probably face them more often, but the Ibu Sayaf and the like in the Philippines are dangerous because they can cooperate and coordinate with elements in neighboring Indonesia. Then the party really gets rough.

the_13th_redneck said:
The Israelis probably face them more often, but the Ibu Sayaf and the like in the Philippines are dangerous because they can cooperate and coordinate with elements in neighboring Indonesia. Then the party really gets rough.

Well Israel is trying to stop cowards with bombs on their chest. The Philippines are fighting gorilla armies. I guess it just really depends on how you look at it. The Scout Rangers fight pretty much every day. I believe the final phase of getting into the scout Rangers is going to a terrorist hotzone and if you survive the battle you make it in. That just shows you the amount of terrorist they are up against.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
I was not aware the Filipino's were actively fighting terrorist orgs.

Nor did I know SF were deployed there.

American SF train the Filipino's, they were fighting terrorist long before 9/11.

IT's good to know that many of you guys see us an ally in this global war against terror, although i noticed a few who are not even aware of some things like your green berets training our troops, like the Scout Rangers. It's true that they can not graduate unless and until they've had their "baptism of fire" so to speak. Your S.F. also has trained if i'm not mistaken 2 LIGHT REACTION COMPANY's, they are armed and equipped with american equipment, i.e., M4 carbines, nvg's ballistic vest, etc.

Let me point out that the majority of Filipinos are christians, we are mainly of Malay stock and not of chinese descent, (Presdent Arroyo is not of chinese origins) it was the other Lady president (mrs. aquino) who is of chinese descent, fyi Chocobo_Blitzer we do like the Americans, and we like them a lot, although it has always been classified as a love-hate relationship! this relationship has been on since before the philippine revolution against spain, even before the arrival of Commo. George Dewey. Many of America's great generals cut their teeth in battle here, Mcarthur, Eisenhower, Pershing and so on. In fact it can be said that the Philippines was America's first Vietnam, there are events that happened during the so called Philippine Insurrectuion that is better of not mentioned here.

Our fight against terrorism has gone on for decades and claimed hundreds of thousands of lives on both combatants and no-coms, it has hampered development and caused immesurable damage to our economy, back in the 60's the Philippines was considered second only to Japan in development, look at us now! we are considered as the sick man of asia!

The Abu-Sayyaf is connected to Al Qaida and Jemaah Islamiya, a terrorist mainly based in Indonesia, but reports have it that their main training facilities are in Mindanao, inside the Camps of the seccesionist Moro Islamic Liberation Front, another terrorist group which broke from the former Moro National liberation Front. Yes we've had it rough, but still our soldiers fight on, regardless of the on-going corruption scandal involving high ranking military officers, despite the lack of basic equipment, the holes in their combat boots, the crackers and one (1) can of canned sardines that make up their meal for a day, the lack of ammo. because of rumors that certain officer sell them to the enemy!

The Filipino soldier has endured and miraculously survived and actually grown better. With the help of the Americans and other partner nations, he will be at par with the best in the world.

I have the pleasure of talking to Rangers from time to time and they told me about the Scout Rangers. They say they are great soldiers and they have allot of respect for them. I think soldiers from both sides are annoyed that American SF arent allowed to fight in the Philipines though.

Didn't mean to leave out the 'Ally in the War On Terror' part. I'm fully aware of it, though not anything like a Filipino. My brother lived there for 2 years and Americans are strongly advised to not go anywhere near that island. The Ibu Sayef like to kidnap Americans and my brother says they're a bunch of thugs.

Big_Z said:
I have the pleasure of talking to Rangers from time to time and they told me about the Scout Rangers. They say they are great soldiers and they have allot of respect for them. I think soldiers from both sides are annoyed that American SF arent allowed to fight in the Philipines though.

By rangers, do you mean US army rangers? they're not even allowed to join patrols! Abu-Sayyaf terrorist said they welcome and look forward to tangling with american special forces operatives.... said amercans make perfect targets because of their height and heft!

Yea i meant US Rangers.

"Abu-Sayyaf terrorist said they welcome and look forward to tangling with american special forces operatives.... said amercans make perfect targets because of their height and heft! "

Too bad they wont have the pleasure of meeting them. They have allot to learn. :twisted:

Back