How the Roman's dealt with pirates.

perseus

I've just been listening on the Radio how the Romans dealt with pirates, so Googled this to avoid me having to type it up! Food for thought given the present crisis.

The supremacy of Rome was threatened by "drunken revels and flute playing" of the pirates (Plutarch). The pirates were so prevalent that trade throughout the Mediterranean was virtually halted. With 1,000 ships in service, the pirates captured or raided 400 cities, including Ostia.
Finally Rome had to do something. Roman commander Pompey was given the task to get rid of pirates. All allies were compelled to submit to his authority. He was given twenty-four proprietors and the authority to raise 120,000 troops, 4,000 cavalry, commission 270 ships, and had 6,000 talents at his disposal. Pompey devised an excellent plan to squash the pirate threat. He set up thirteen districts designed to isolate the various segments of the pirate population. The praetor, or commander, of each district was responsible for the reduction of pirates in his own district. In forty days, according to Appian, Pompey swept through the western blocks and headed to the eastern waters. His name and reputation travelled faster though, and the pirates became terrified. They quickly ceased their pillaging and fled to their garrisons. The thirteen praetors easily able to subdue their regions. Pompey chased the die-hards to their large strongholds of Cragus and Anticragus. Appian reports that most pirates surrendered quickly, lending credence to the slogan "the sea was cleared without a fight". Pompey completely eliminated the pirate threat in a mere three months time. Clearly the pirates were not a threat to the naval forces of Rome.

According to the historian on the BBC world service Pompey didn't execute them, but sent them inland to start a new life, a remarkable liberal attitude for the times. Contrast this with Caesar!

Caesar too, was captured by the pirates near the island of Pharmcusa shortly after escaping from Sulla's soldiers in 75BC. For some reason, the pirates took a liking to Caesar and instead of executing him for his insolence, they tolerated his posturing. When the pirates set a ransom of 20 talents, Caesar scoffed them and set it at 50, claiming he was worth more. During the month and a half he was detained, Caesar joined the pirates in their revels. He wrote poetry and presented it to the pirates. If they didn't respond properly, he would chastise them. When he wanted to sleep, he ordered them to be quiet. Indeed, he hardly seemed a prisoner. He even joked that he would come back and kill them all. After his release, Caesar took ships from the harbor of Moletus, and captured those pirates as they lay on the beach. Caesar didn't agree with Junius, governor of Asia, as to the fate of those pirates and therefore went off and did as he wished. He crucified the lot, although Ormerod says Caesar first slit their throats in an apparent act of mercy (Plutarch).

Last edited:
well..caesar sounds like a true bi-polar...mercy indeed.

just heard that the american captain was rescued...and some pirates just disapeared while messing with a US navy ship. they got what they deserved.

:9mm::biggun:

Fantastic result. US does not pay the Danegeld; only they seem to understand that once you have paid the Danegeld- you never get rid of the Dane. Three shots from 75 feet off a rolling deck, 3 pirates removed. Beautiful on the spot justice. God Bless America, and the Hero-:salute2:captain and his staunch crew.

I've just been listening on the Radio how the Romans dealt with pirates, so Googled this to avoid me having to type it up! Food for thought given the present crisis.

According to the historian on the BBC world service Pompey didn't execute them, but sent them inland to start a new life, a remarkable liberal attitude for the times. Contrast this with Caesar!

Man, they deserved to die if theyre taking orders from the hostage, even if he is Caeser. Weird how he showed them mercy before death, then crucified them.

And still, it didnt work. Still centuries later the Rayal navy at their most glorius days had to deal with Pirates in the Mediterrainan.

Well in ceasers defence i belive he suffered a severe head wound during his capture that caused him to have fits for many years after.
Also, though i may be wrong here, ceaser only had the pirates throats cut after the first few had been crucified- some reports claim he found the reality of his order slightly disturbing

Sounds like a sizable gap to me.

It would be a sizable gap if piirates in the meditarrainan had suddenly reemerged after a few hundred years, but they didnt. They have always been there. Maybe they got a bloody nose by the romans, but that didn't affect them for long. Neither did the british way by drowning pirates in cages they put into If the river thames btw.
I suppose the OP started the thread regarding to the curent problem with Pirates. Wich actually isn't anything new but only makes the headlines now because european and american ships are targets as well now. This Problem is a little bit too complex to solve it just by military force, as most conflicts are. E.g. if we, or in somalias case the chinese, come and rout their fishing grounds, what do you expect the local fishermen to do? Opening a fashion store in mogadishu? It is, as quite a few other countries facing the irate problem, a war torn country, wich ALWAYS leads to problems like black markets, piracy and others. If your family is starving, you might try more desperate measures to get some mones to feed them. Of course there are also prople involved who figured out that's an easy way to make some mones, like the local warlords. Anyway, you wont solve the broblem by shooting the pirates, burning their ships and sending in your navy alone.

Back