How Old were you when you joined?

JameSS

I was just wondering how old everyone was when they joined the military? I am pretty sure that I am going to join the marines but I am 22 going on 23. Have any of you joined at this age or do you think it is to old. Another thing....I wear contacts right now. Do i have to were that butt ugly glasses while I am in Boot Camp and after that??? If so I bet the are a lot of pissed off people with those glasses on!

James:

Age doesnt really mean anything. I joined when I was 24. Alot of people in my group were above the age of 20. It was just a unenployment thing at the time.

Wha does more age do for you in basic? Well you might get tried out for boot camp squad leader because of it. You might have a little more wisdom not to do some of the things that usally result in trouble. Other than that, i didnt see any difference.

:D

At /23 you are still young enough to keep up with 18 year olds physically and as Mark said, you'll have a bit more life experience and wisdom to go along with that.

23 is still very young, don't get the idea that you're already "old" simply because a lot of kids join at the age of 18. You've plenty of time left in your youth. If you want to be a Marine, go for it -

I was 22 when I enlisted and as others have said the life experience I felt was a huge advantage, it allowed me to be selected as a leader with more responsibilities and the chance to have the extra experience as a leader. Keeping up with the youngsters was not a problem physically, and trust me some of them need an older guy there to help keep them out of trouble, so if the Corp is what you want go get man....

I was literally as young as you can get...I enlisted on my 17th birthday.

That explains why I was able to retire at 37. :D

I applied for the Reg Force just after I turned 17. I'm 18 now and just getting ready to ship out for Officer Training.

I’m sure you have the point after reading all the other post. But just in case, No, you are not too old to enlist. You may encounter a slight problem though. Because of your age, you will be more mature than your fellow recruits. This will get under your skin more than anything, even more than wearing those BCG’s. They will test your patience when it comes to integrity and work ethic however; this is where your role as a leader comes in to play. As stated earlier, you will have more responsibilities when it comes to your peers. You have to keep in mind that for some of these kids, it’s the first time they’ve been away from home. Simply put, they won’t know how to act.
As for the glasses, yes you will have to wear them throughout your training. You have to think positive though. You won’t be the only one wearing them, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last. Hey, they’re free. If they break, the military will purchase you another pair. They won’t do that for your personal glasses.

Your not too old....

I went in at 18, but 23 is not too old. After boot, you can usually convince them to give you the jump glasses over the BCG's, not much better. The best thing to do is to get some sport glasses after boot. You will never be able to keep contacts clean in the field.

Honestly I have noticed that is the age group where people seem to be more physically fit. I joined when I was 19 and there was one guy in there that was 32. he had no problem. My advice is just don't be stupid.

I went to MEPS to ship out on my 18th B-Day. At 23 you should not encounter many problems. Remember not to buy any underage soldiers alcohol while you are still in training. That could come back and bite you in your 6.

maturity

you can handle things better when your older, you most likely know not to talk back or be a wise ass to the drill instructor when your older.

Re: maturity

webs said:
you can handle things better when your older, you most likely know not to talk back or be a wise ass to the drill instructor when your older.

Don't count on that, one of my best friends from boot was 24 and was the biggest smart a** we had in the platoon. If he wasn't being trashed, we were because of him!!

ha ha

i guess some guys can still be imature, my dad had a guy like that in his basic.

When I joined a long time ago at age 18 the cut-off age was 35, it still may be the same. We had guys in their 30's at basic with us, one guy was from Puerto Rico and could barley speak any english and it gave us a laugh most the time the DI would try to tell him something.

Back