How often do you travel?

Jilly

And when you do, where do you normally like to go? Do you travel abroad a lot? For work or vacation purposes?

I've traveled a bit, (across Canada, the USA, UK, a bit of Europe and Asia), that sounds like a lot, but it's not really. I think my traveling days are yet to come. I met a man where I live last year who told me that he has never been out of this area! And what's more, he seemed quite happy with his lot in life. I guess we are all different. But for me, to travel is important.

How about you? What's your opinions on this subject?

And when you do, where do you normally like to go? Do you travel abroad a lot? For work or vacation purposes?

I've traveled a bit, (across Canada, the USA, UK, a bit of Europe and Asia), that sounds like a lot, but it's not really. I think my traveling days are yet to come. I met a man where I live last year who told me that he has never been out of this area! And what's more, he seemed quite happy with his lot in life. I guess we are all different. But for me, to travel is important.

Mostly to Europe; or Asia. Last vacation was in Thailand, Pattaya. Great place.

Then, there is Cyprus. Greek side, not Turkish one.

And Bulgaria. Varna.

Abkhazia is my favorite place, Gudauta, Gagra, Pitsunda, Sukhum. I served in the Morpekh, Russian Marines, there.
Pitsunda.JPG

rest-in-cis_rest-in-abhazia_Pizunda_5.jpg
4.jpg
0-vip-187-tour.jpg
021.jpg
%D0%9F%D0%B8%D1%86%D1%83%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%B0+%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4+%D1%81+%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%8F.jpg

0906b7556dd0465719e50b6626250b26

Today, I have a house there
12826b.jpg

They only let you in from the Russian side though. Georgian border is permanently closed.

Japan sounds good. Have you been there before? I'd love to see more of the far East.

I was stationed in Germany three times, Korea twice, onnce each in Japan and Viet Nam. I visited the Philippines,Tiwan, Austrailia, Denmark, Ireland, England and Mexico. I do not travel any more, I hate going through the checks at Airports and dispise the seating arrangements on Airliners.

I managed to turn that evil into 'travel charm' so nowadays I don't mind crappy seating. It is all part of the experience and it saves a lot of irritation too...

Well, my parents enjoyed to travel... A LOT. I cant tell you to how many countries I have visited as a child... I mostly remember some wonderful beaches. And of course how the temperature/humidity changes when you get out of an airplane.

And in my job, I have to travel to keep some people in check. Mostly under developed countries. I go there for business, but I always manage to spend some time outside to explore the city/region when I can.

I would advise any human being to travel a LOT. Meeting new cultures is nice... But to discover the actual country yourself is the objective.

Many people think that, I dont know... That in Texas there is crazy guys with shotguns who spend their whole lives shooting people for walking on their yards... And that in New York every 100m there is a taxi running down someone or a bank getting robbed... That in Egypt people are drinking tea and praying to god all the time... You know, these silly ideas...

We believe that our lives are the "normal" way to live. And that all the other culture are "exotic"... You think that the Americans are naive and stupid because they ask you if you are a terrorist... It takes some time to understand that they built their country on trust... Or I dont know how to explain that...

So, I travel like 2 times a year minimum. My favorite country is Morocco. The road from France to Morocco though Spain is my favorite. My friends get angry when we miss the ferry and have to take another road or wait in some town... But I'm like a child who have to spend one extra night in Disney Land. Last time we had some fun with some crazy tourists from the UK. OMG, these guys are so so noisy... Kuddos for the Spanish tolerance. Tourists from the UK are crazy...

I agree with you LeMask, Morocco is absolutly fabulous. Everything you look for you can find there! I am planning my 2nd trip there somewhere next year, after I restocked on my money... the only thing standing between me and travelling continuously.

I usually travel about 3-5 times a year to various parts of the world (now I am getting older it is usually the more civilised parts) on business that can last between 3-4 months depending on the reason but each trip is about 1-3 weeks in duration.

We also try and get at least one trip to Arizona in a year to catch up with the in laws which can also last 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how long it takes to get sick of each other.
:)

I travelled too much in my job as a Seaman, much of it to the third world countries.

Although it was certainly an "education", I've never been happier since I had the opportunity to stay home. Now, whenever possiblee I won't go anywhere where I can't sleep in my own bed every night.

The different cultures and languages were the best part of it, but I can certainly live without it now.

Similiarly - widely travelled as a kid. little time in Blighty until married at 20; then although travelling widely daily over many years, I always aimed to be home with my family overnight. Exception - In the 60's travelled eastern Europe on business.
Travelled from time to time abroad with my wife when children were grown up; now I am content , as long as my wife is with me, to relax at home except for visiting family regularly, 50 mile radius. I tend to deflect open invitations from abroad.

Have I outgrown wider ambitions - no, I still want to rule the world, NOT!

Well, I just recently came back from the UK. I'm exhausted! I seem to have packed so much in in my few weeks there. My problem is I really don't like flying, or the hassle of waiting around and checkpoints at airports. Having said that, it wouldn't stop me from more further travel, although I've had enough for now.

Those are some beautiful pictures Prapor. I would love, love, love to visit
Australia someday.

I plan to.

Senojekips... I agree with the "sleeping in your own bed every night". Nothing like your own home...to catch a few.:sleep:

Last edited:
A few photos of my recent UK trip:

Winchester Cathedral:
DSCN3916.jpg

Dover with the castle in on the hill:
DSCN4419.jpg

Ferry coming over from France:
DSCN4397.jpg

Flower beds just outside of Buckingham Palace:
DSCN4239.jpg

More photos of the trip to England on Sunnyds.

Del boy, I had a really good time. The weather was sunny all the time I was there too, an added bonus.

You are lucky, I had no money to travel.:rockin:

Back