How Muslim Nations Vote in UN...

Ted said:
Pfff, I am somewhat sceptical that the powers is the world will not hand it over all that easy. How can you ask 5 countries that have has special priviliges to relinquish these powers after 50 years. I think that there is no place for altruism in this debate. Too bad, just to bad!!

If 3 of those powers can agree to this reform then the other 2 will most likely have to go along with it or risk being isolated. I think the US, Britain, and France would go for the reforms and China and Russia would go along with it if the 3 powers gave good reason why there should be reforms. If they do not, then we know who the power-hungry ones are then... I'm personally for Japan and Germany getting a higher status seat. They've been major world players and fund contributers to be left out.

You could always add more members to the permanent security council, at least one from each continent. So you have the five old ones, and add the other currently important ones. I'd pick japan, germany, brazil, an african nation, and maybe india if they ever get that kashmir thing sorted out and are fairly neutral otherwise. This makes the UN more democratic and more balanced. Plus with the majority votes decision i mentioned earler, i think things would get done much quicker and with more support.

But I am afraid that the initial vote must come from the five sc-members. They obviously have more to lose! And the other UN can do and say all they want, but will that startle the five enough to give up their current power. It would certainly be worth the try, because I do think that this would make the UN way more dynamic. And that would make it more attractive for the US to work along with them.

I bet that when the US loses superpower status or at least has less to lose in the future, an expanded security council would seem more attractive since the newer members would most likely be their allies anyway. China doesn't really initiate much so they might go along with it. Russia doesn't seem to be headed in the right direction yet and they don't have the power of the soviets anymore so they might cooperate as well. France and Britain are already used to the EU so this wouldn't be much of farcry from that and they should be willing. It all depends on what the United States will be like for this to happen.

On top of all that a new UN building would be nice, IN OUTER SPACE! I mean what's more neutral than the moon or orbit?

You really can't claim the moon, just declare it your accomplishment. Like those explorers in Antartica, sure they found new land for their respective countries, but no one pays attention to any claims there, so what's the point?

Imagine we had UN diplomats stuck on the moonbase until they could agree to something before space hysteria sets in. Now i'd pay to watch that.

Back