How much advantage will the US military tech still have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys, I asked Flyfrog days ago about laser weapons, so somebody suggest me post a tech topic, Okay, based on my knowledge, the US R&D federal funding is slowing down quickly, instead, private companes get billions dollars. So, even the defense department have more budget and subcontract to private companies for some new weapons and systems, the basic science research dramagically decreased in last 4 years---while, we all know the new weapons are deeply related to basic science research, most private companies have no interest about basic research at all, such as chemistry and physics. I personally feel it is very very short term strategy. So, my question is

How much advantage will US military tech still have --compared with Russia and China in next 5-10 years?
Especially searched some websites telling China's laser weapons system is leading 2-5 years over US. is that true?
Another example is that: there was no super computer from china can be listed in top500.org (the fastest top 500 computers in the world) last year, but this year, they have plenty of them listed overthere!

resource:
http://www.nsf.gov/sbe/srs/infbrief/nsf04307/start.htm
http://www.education.virginia.gov/Initiatives/HigherEdSummit/AAASpr050103.pdf
http://www.mzos.hr/Download/2004/06/05/Wessner.ppt
http://www.softwar.net/redlite.html

American technology will still be at least a generation ahead Russia and China because it has more money and attracts the most talented scientists and engineers.

In terms of aircraft technology the US leads the way by a long margin, even russia doesnt have so technologically advanced planes. but in terms of the army, unless they develop laser weapons ( like the ones in star trek/star wars), personal shields etc. all the stuff you see in sci-fi you cant really advance weapons to far and its quite easy for russia and especilly china to catch up. china are quite a long way behind the US in naval tech.

the_13th_redneck said:
American technology will still be at least a generation ahead Russia and China because it has more money and attracts the most talented scientists and engineers.

while, the major cost is from salary, right? US,China, Russia pay differently for their engineers or scientist--because living standard are different. say you pay Engieneer 100$/h, Chinese pay his enginneer $10/hour, this does not mean you make him live 10 times better in US than in China, does it?

Shadowalker said:
In terms of aircraft technology the US leads the way by a long margin, even russia doesnt have so technologically advanced planes. but in terms of the army, unless they develop laser weapons ( like the ones in star trek/star wars), personal shields etc. all the stuff you see in sci-fi you cant really advance weapons to far and its quite easy for russia and especilly china to catch up. china are quite a long way behind the US in naval tech.

can you show some resources?

No, it's because of R&D, materials, etc.
In terms of pay, the Americans can simply dish out more, and if you throw in all the benefits the company gives its employees, it's a FAR better deal than what the Russians or the Chinese can offer at this moment.
Not to mention, the American technical universities also input a lot of expertise and do research themselves. Basically someone from a US Engineering school will find it easier and more advantageous to get into a US engineering company and using internships actually get work experience while studying.

Right now America simply has too many advantages over Russia and China for those two to catch up that quickly.
Also with Russia you have the chronic economic problems.

whosewar2000 said:
can you show some resources?

You can look it up by comparing the American cruisers with Chinese cruisers. Then the American destroyers with Chinese destroyers. And then American Carriers with.... oh right the Chinese don't have any.
And then you can compare combat jets.
Then you can compare combat tanks.
Basically in technological fields, American superiority is too staggering to go unnoticed.

Not to mention American communication networks and equipment.
The difference in the American Command and Control centers opposed to the Chinese counterparts.

Firstly, whosewar, this is the last time i shuffle topics around. Read the little description under the forum rooms, and post accordingly, or I will delete your posts. As to the topic, I think you guys might be missing the big picture. The USA has a good advantge in the weaponary field(tanks planes, MLRS, etc.)....But IMHO that is not hte main thing. The important thing is EW, Command and Controll, and comunication. In these fields the USA has a lot of stuff the Russians and Chinese just dont. The Chinese can blind a US tank crew, but while their Betallion Commander wont be able to see where his troops and AFVs are. At the same time, his US opponent will see all his units on a screen, with location, status and all he needs to make a good decision....That is much more important than a 105mm or 120mm...

the_13th_redneck said:
No, it's because of R&D, materials, etc.
In terms of pay, the Americans can simply dish out more, and if you throw in all the benefits the company gives its employees, it's a FAR better deal than what the Russians or the Chinese can offer at this moment.
Not to mention, the American technical universities also input a lot of expertise and do research themselves. Basically someone from a US Engineering school will find it easier and more advantageous to get into a US engineering company and using internships actually get work experience while studying.

But I know almost ALL UNIVERISTIES met major finacial crisis these years across U.S.A.
UCLA, for example, increased their tuition in crazy 2004 fall. Not mention R&D funding.

SHERMAN said:
Firstly, whosewar, this is the last time i shuffle topics around. Read the little description under the forum rooms, and post accordingly, or I will delete you

So, military technology does not belong to military related? I am confused. I can only talk whose soldier kill best?

the_13th_redneck said:
You can look it up by comparing the American cruisers with Chinese cruisers. Then the American destroyers with Chinese destroyers. And then American Carriers with.... oh right the Chinese don't have any.
And then you can compare combat jets.
Then you can compare combat tanks.
Basically in technological fields, American superiority is too staggering to go unnoticed.

Not to mention American communication networks and equipment.
The difference in the American Command and Control centers opposed to the Chinese counterparts.

I am saying in next 5-10 years, not right now?! I amsaying the trend

SHERMAN said:
Firstly, whosewar, this is the last time i shuffle topics around. Read the little description under the forum rooms, and post accordingly, or I will delete your posts. As to the topic, I think you guys might be missing the big picture. The USA has a good advantge in the weaponary field(tanks planes, MLRS, etc.)....But IMHO that is not hte main thing. The important thing is EW, Command and Controll, and comunication. In these fields the USA has a lot of stuff the Russians and Chinese just dont. The Chinese can blind a US tank crew, but while their Betallion Commander wont be able to see where his troops and AFVs are. At the same time, his US opponent will see all his units on a screen, with location, status and all he needs to make a good decision....That is much more important than a 105mm or 120mm...

I mentioned the communications part.
I don't think he'll quite understand all that Electronics Warfare bit.
And I did mention Command and Control. The American version is simply lightyears ahead of the Chinese counterparts.

whosewar2000 said:
But I know almost ALL UNIVERISTIES met major finacial crisis these years across U.S.A.
UCLA, for example, increased their tuition in crazy 2004 fall. Not mention R&D funding.

The R&D funding is usually granted to the Universities from partner programs. It's not from school funding at all. Universities having a financial crisis has nothing to do with it really. As long as the school has a program with a good reputation, companies will invest in their people.

Short and simple whosewar, the Chinese and the Russians aren't going to "save" you any time soon.

whosewar2000 said:

Nah it's not going to change that quickly.

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f117/index.html (American))
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su27/index.html (Russian/Chinese)

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/burke/index.html (American)
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/sovremenny/index.html (Russian/Chinese)

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/nssn/index.html (American)

I think most people would agree that the american systems are better than the russian/chinese systems. I dont work in area 51 so i dont know what is being developed there but i would bet that whatever is there is more technologically advanced than anything the chinese have. Mainly because the amerians have the money, experience to develop better than the chionese who have had to reverse engineer past russian technology until recently anddont have the background that the US has.

the_13th_redneck said:
The R&D funding is usually granted to the Universities from partner programs. It's not from school funding at all. Universities having a financial crisis has nothing to do with it really. As long as the school has a program with a good reputation, companies will invest in their people.

Huh??????? can you do little research before you post this? Are you in any university

Whosewar, I edited your postsd togather. im growing tired of picking up your mess. Use the edit button, instead of making 3 posts one after the other....

George Washington University.
I was in the engineering program and I remember that General Motors had a bit of a partnership going on with the school's engineering program, supplying them with a truck to tinker around with in their project called "Future Truck." The corporation gave the truck for free and also sponsored for parts and stuff I believe.

whosewar2000 said:
the_13th_redneck said:

Huh??????? can you do little research before you post this? Are you in any university

whosewar2000 said:

China at the minute does not have the military technology that china has. This means that there a step behind, they have to develop there own equipment to be up to american standards. But at the same time the americans are going to be developing there own technology. Boeing, Lockheed arent going to sit on there arses, they wont big military contacts so they are going to develop better technology. I cant see china catching up with the US in the next 5-10 years, unless there is a bit of industrial espionage , or suddenly the US becomes friendly with china, but that still doesnt mean they will share there technology.

the_13th_redneck said:
George Washington University.
I was in the engineering program and I remember that General Motors had a bit of a partnership going on with the school's engineering program, supplying them with a truck to tinker around with in their project called "Future Truck." The corporation gave the truck for free and also sponsored for parts and stuff I believe.

I belive that program cannot represent anything. I agree private companies grant lots money, but the biggest resources are from federal government, especially defense department and healthcare department
this is the statistic report
http://thecenter.ufl.edu/research2000.pdf

My original question is:

How much advantage will US sill have compared to Russia and China,

NOT

Will US still BE better than Russia and China?

Well considering the fact tht the russian economy is not very large i cant see them being able to turn out equipment that makes big steps forward in technology like the US can (see F117), the rest of the world still havent developed an aircraft that matches the stealth of the F117, B2 and there 10yrs old. That is quite an advantage while the chinese are buying in russian aircraft or reverse engineering them and there not new aircraft and there not any evidence of china developing any new aircraft like the JSF. So in terms of aircraft the US holds a considerable advantage over ever country in the world and i cant see them relinquishing it in quite a long time.
In terms of the navy the US has a large advantage and that is probably not going to go. The US is developing submarines such as Nssn virginia class while china is developing submarines using russian/chinese technology that is far behind.
The army though is a different matter as the equipment that china/Us has is not that technologicall different but as the_13th_redneck wrote in terms of EW and command/control the US is on a different playing field to everybody else and that wont change.

"the rest of the world still haven't developed an aircraft that matches the stealth of the F117, B2 and there 10yrs old" They are more like 20 years old. I honestly think nobody will catch up for at least 20 years. We are not going to sit around and let anybody catch up. I also dont think that lasers mean jack shit. By the time China goes to war their will be goggles or something that make them useless. I honestly think the idea is incredibly stupid, while they are trying to blind people American soldiers are trying to kill people. It makes me question Chinas honor and courage. Are they afraid to fight their enemy face to face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back