How much advantage will the US military tech still have? - Page 4

--

October 3rd, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

In 10-15 years? Gosh, anything could happen by then. But I'm betting China would be in a much better position. The US would probably retain supremacy, but I doubt anyone will pass it. Give about 20 years, and China will probably be on par.

I'm just making a uneducated guess, though, I don't know anything about research and the details on technology advancement.
October 3rd, 2004  
whosewar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Great, then why do you ask us? You tell us then.

Chinese with better quality than Japan? You are joking.
you just twist it again: read my words: same quality, cheaper price. And...when japan give it up, then there is no comparison anymore. Just like how walmart do business.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2931733.stm
http://english.people.com.cn/200402/...4_134847.shtml

hope you know how much Chinese pay for plasma TV, and compare with how much you pay at this moment in USA

46 inch PLASMA TV ---$700 in CHINA, go to bestbuy NOW to check how much you will pay get similar one: $2000-$3000!!1

When more and more similar things happen, more and more manufacture industry in USA and Japan will just disappear!!! whatever you talk about aircraft, battleship, laser weapon--------ALL FROM OR DEEPLY RELATED MANUFACTURING!!!
October 3rd, 2004  
Sea_Cadet

With Continual Funding through at leats my lifetime and the eventual expansion of the Army it will be the best fighting force on this planet for we are the only Mega-Power.
--
October 3rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Whosewar, don't start a thread with a question when you've already made up your mind about the conclusion.

Do you really think manufacturing in the US and Japan will cease?
Maybe the rest of us should also toss out workers rights because in China, quite frankly it's a bit like that. Ever wonder why it's so damn cheap? That's why.
Not only is that the reason why things are cheaper in China, but also because they know if they sell them at American prices they'll never sell, while in the US, where labor is inherantly more expensive, yet wages are higher so people can afford the higher price they still go for it.
I guess we're really going to have to invest in those robots. Oh wait, then people will start bitching about the workers rights and protection again.

Also in regards to the Indian and Chinese programmers. They are in the US are they not? They're working for a US company in America and the data is classified. Is it because a Chinese guy or lots of them work on a project on the other side of the world, this stuff is basically shared with China itself? That's not the case. Though reverse engineering through the aggregate of individual expertise can work to a degree.
I know there are LOTS of Indian programmers. Now name an Indian software company that's a major player in the world.

Here's the thing: China is a force to be reckoned with and will only keep getting stronger. But its strength lies in quantity, not cutting edge quality. The reason why most people don't persue the blinding laser is because it is considered illegal in international law. Not because suddenly they've invented some kind of mysterious gizmo.
In terms of who will have the better weapons and support systems? The Americans will almost definately have better ones for the next 10 years and chances are the things they have will be a generation ahead of the Chinese counterparts.
October 3rd, 2004  
AsianAmerican

Chocobo_Blitzer i agree with you.... Whether you like it or not, America will sooner or later have some stiff competition... In my opinion given 15-30 years China will be close with America like Chocobo_Blitzer stated.
:P.... I am an American who has been involved in doing research about China's economic growth and military growth.... They are making great strides from their navy to the army... For Goodness sake they put a man in space. .... They are gaining more influence in the Western Hemisphere and in other parts of the world.

MORE DEBATES
October 3rd, 2004  
Shadowalker

[quote="the_13th_redneck"]Whosewar, don't start a thread with a question when you've already made up your mind about the conclusion.
{quote]

Reminds me of dsj, like banging your head against a brick wall.
October 3rd, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yes I know. But the question was, 5-10 years.
My guess is China will rival the US in about 20 years. Except it won't be a democracy and would be a tyrant in the traditional sense.
They're just keeping tradition going, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAmerican
Chocobo_Blitzer i agree with you.... Whether you like it or not, America will sooner or later have some stiff competition... In my opinion given 15-30 years China will be close with America like Chocobo_Blitzer stated.
:P.... I am an American who has been involved in doing research about China's economic growth and military growth.... They are making great strides from their navy to the army... For Goodness sake they put a man in space. .... They are gaining more influence in the Western Hemisphere and in other parts of the world.

MORE DEBATES
October 3rd, 2004  
Shadowalker

5-10 years is just too soon for china to catch up, 20-30 years with china having a stable economy then yes china will probably be up to date with the US but then so will the rest of the world probably
October 3rd, 2004  
whosewar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
5-10 years is just too soon for china to catch up, 20-30 years with china having a stable economy then yes china will probably be up to date with the US but then so will the rest of the world probably
I have a strong feeling it will be much sooner than most of you thought:

1) R&D funding from government is squeezing in USA (at least in Bush's government), at the same time, as I said, private companies have no interest about long-term research such as basic physics or chemistry, which is the fundamental for any weapons in long term goal.
THANKS FOR HIS TAX CUT!!!

2) Rumsfeld and Cheney, they are very interested in high-tech weapons, but their bias towards their "own" companies will deeply hurt R&D systematically. And their arrogant have destroyed many interests from Universities as those universities have big finical crisis already.

3) China's manufacturing will sweep out most manufacturing competitors from U.S.A very soon once USA "open" its market. When China begin to export $6000 SUV to China (China have become second largest automobile manufacturer already), I doubt GM, Ford's ability to survive, they'd rather reset their factories in China do the same thing as Chinese competitors do. Same thing will happen on most manufacturing. Okay, when most manufactures move to China from USA, there are tremendous lost in USA, first: experienced workers and engineers, second, technology and R&D ability (you cannot imaging innovation without manufacturing ability, they are just link together), when this happen, the R&D or manufacturing ability from defense department will dramatically decrease. One example, the command & control system, it needs huge data exchanges---means large need for routers and switchs. But do you know the biggest router manufactuer CISCO will become almost complete “Chinese company” (their CEO’s original words, CNN—exporting America) in 4-5 years? So will HP, and other companies.

4) US dollars price has never been such low in the international market---the lowest in history to pounds, euros and Canadian dollars. RMB is going to increase value in few month (highly likely), yes, that will slow down the Chinese exporting, but same time, it means scientists and engineers salary will decrease dramatically compared to scientist in Europe and China !! Do you know 2/3 engineers and scientist in US actually are foreigners? They will leave one by one after this happen!!

So, my conclusion: 10 years, enough time for an empire to become loser.

p.s. regarding your questions that “you never heard any Indian famous IT companies” or “all programmers work in USA”.--------please do little research before post your arguments. I think most other people in the forum have different opinion with you. -------in fact, even your credit history evaluation software are made from India and your data are viewed and evaluated in India as well
October 3rd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Quote:
$6000 SUV
LOL....Have you noticed somthing? 6000$ SUVs drive like they cost I dont even like USA made cars, but Chinese products are a long way from eing high quality.