How much advantage will the US military tech still have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US has done a lot of research into lasers, but apparently it just never to Americans to use them to blind military opponents. Honestly, the idea of it is pretty "un-American". It could have been developed a long time ago otherwise, I'm sure.

godofthunder9010 said:
The US has done a lot of research into lasers, but apparently it just never to Americans to use them to blind military opponents. Honestly, the idea of it is pretty "un-American". It could have been developed a long time ago otherwise, I'm sure.

I am not laser-expert, but one thing I am sure is: if I can make laser to make you blind, once I increase the power, I can just kill you, making a hole through your head. So, your argument is too......

I will basically argue about China cause Russia is too weak now, even Chinese become so picky to buy their stuff recently cause Russia seems dont have enough new stuff recently, while Chinese are catching up quickly by absorbing Russia's stuff.

Okay, regarding the command-control, if you noticed I mention super computing---that basically means large data processing, or possible AIs. As I just researched, Chinese has become the second country in the world making their own CPUs (NOT JUST re-PRODUCING FOR INTEL), at this moment, they can only develope similar CPU like PIII, but think about last year, they had none!!! so, imaging the speed.... And in fact, F117,JSF such advanced machines has to have hundreds of military CPUs--I think this is one of the reasons no other country can make them at all. Regarding materials or others, here is the following:

You know, things regarding navy or aricraft stuff, all related to manufacturing (not all, but mostly). If you go to walmart, you might still argue that Chinese can only produce shoes, but actually, Chinese is the biggest electronic exporter to USA? if you check CNN recently, SONY (usa) tried so hard to stop China exporting plasma TV (their own stuff) to USA, otherwise, they will be off business in USA in one month. little off topic, but what I am saying here is the manufacturing power is potentially such huge, which indicate finally the manufacturing for battleship and aircraft can be huge too. By the way, Chinese have become the second largest ship manufactuer in the world already last year (size and numbers).

Last thing, is the so called strategic weapons--nukes, missles, especially the new kind such as: laser/nukes based on or from satellite. I dont have too much materials with me now, anybody want to open to discuss about ?

by the way: do you guys really think there are big difference between the military electronic equipments and the daily electronics we are using? I really dont see big difference most of time.

There is a world of a difference, including stuff we're not supposed to know about.
Military level of electronics is ... well first of all, how many of us have any use for an ECM system??
Dude, the computers the military use for command and control isn't just about the hardware, it's also the software. Plus don't compare it with the stuff we have. The stuff that runs the huge command centers... or the mobile command centers at that, our stuff is nothing.
I think your talk about the TVs and stuff is a good reflection of how little you know. That stuff is so basic compared to the level of sophistication you need to have a top of the line command and control system. You're talking quantity, which the Chinese can do plenty. Not quality.
Everyone knows that if you want a good TV from Asia, the best ones are from Japan, then Korea, then Taiwan and then China.
I don't think there's really a need to talk about Strategic weapons. No one's going to use them and if they do, that's pretty much it anyway.

But yes, China's main weapon is their massive manufacturing capacity. They got a huge pool of workers who work for next to nothing so there's no surprise on why they can churn out so much for so little.

the_13th_redneck said:
Dude, the computers the military use for command and control isn't just about the hardware, it's also the software. .

who is writing the code in Silcon Valley: No1. Indian No.2 Chinese

the_13th_redneck said:
I think your talk about the TVs and stuff is a good reflection of how little you know.

Unfortunally, I can make a very quick link:
I don remember which aircraft, but I do remember my prof mentioned to me about one thing: pilot used to have problem to view the flat screen cause you will have view-angle problem: which means if you eye line has big angle with the flat screen, you will see nothing, the screen is just like a mirror. Now, the problem is resolved--because our flat screen TV is getting better and better. Just the same technology.

Now. you tell me whether there is link or not.

There are plenty of examples that stuff we are using are very similar to what Military is using. maybe just add little more something, but there is absolutely NO fundermental difference.

the_13th_redneck said:
Not quality.
Everyone knows that if you want a good TV from Asia, the best ones are from Japan, then Korea, then Taiwan and then China.

I suggest you do some research before you post your arguments:

Japan just shut down their last manufacture line in China cause they just cannot compete with Chinese made TV at all--both price and quality. You donot know anything about Chinese made TV is because IT IS BANNED IN US MARKET AT THIS MOMENT ---too cheap, same quality. And walmart and bestbuy is sueing American government right now trying to get license to sell those stuff.

Japan will give up industry about TV in 2 years. you watch CNN news, or, Fox news at least, do you?

besides, do you know G3 technology in cell phone is from Asia? in fact it is from China mostly? USA is behind about that already in 2 years.

p.s. China is going to export USA $6000 SUV in 5 years. Think about that.

In 10-15 years? Gosh, anything could happen by then. But I'm betting China would be in a much better position. The US would probably retain supremacy, but I doubt anyone will pass it. Give about 20 years, and China will probably be on par.

I'm just making a uneducated guess, though, I don't know anything about research and the details on technology advancement.

the_13th_redneck said:
Great, then why do you ask us? You tell us then.

Chinese with better quality than Japan? You are joking.

you just twist it again: read my words: same quality, cheaper price. And...when japan give it up, then there is no comparison anymore. Just like how walmart do business.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2931733.stm
http://english.people.com.cn/200402/14/eng20040214_134847.shtml

hope you know how much Chinese pay for plasma TV, and compare with how much you pay at this moment in USA

46 inch PLASMA TV ---$700 in CHINA, go to bestbuy NOW to check how much you will pay get similar one: $2000-$3000!!1

When more and more similar things happen, more and more manufacture industry in USA and Japan will just disappear!!! whatever you talk about aircraft, battleship, laser weapon--------ALL FROM OR DEEPLY RELATED MANUFACTURING!!!

With Continual Funding through at leats my lifetime and the eventual expansion of the Army it will be the best fighting force on this planet for we are the only Mega-Power.

Whosewar, don't start a thread with a question when you've already made up your mind about the conclusion.

Do you really think manufacturing in the US and Japan will cease?
Maybe the rest of us should also toss out workers rights because in China, quite frankly it's a bit like that. Ever wonder why it's so damn cheap? That's why.
Not only is that the reason why things are cheaper in China, but also because they know if they sell them at American prices they'll never sell, while in the US, where labor is inherantly more expensive, yet wages are higher so people can afford the higher price they still go for it.
I guess we're really going to have to invest in those robots. Oh wait, then people will start bitching about the workers rights and protection again.

Also in regards to the Indian and Chinese programmers. They are in the US are they not? They're working for a US company in America and the data is classified. Is it because a Chinese guy or lots of them work on a project on the other side of the world, this stuff is basically shared with China itself? That's not the case. Though reverse engineering through the aggregate of individual expertise can work to a degree.
I know there are LOTS of Indian programmers. Now name an Indian software company that's a major player in the world.

Here's the thing: China is a force to be reckoned with and will only keep getting stronger. But its strength lies in quantity, not cutting edge quality. The reason why most people don't persue the blinding laser is because it is considered illegal in international law. Not because suddenly they've invented some kind of mysterious gizmo.
In terms of who will have the better weapons and support systems? The Americans will almost definately have better ones for the next 10 years and chances are the things they have will be a generation ahead of the Chinese counterparts.

Chocobo_Blitzer i agree with you.... Whether you like it or not, America will sooner or later have some stiff competition... In my opinion given 15-30 years China will be close with America like Chocobo_Blitzer stated.
:p.... I am an American who has been involved in doing research about China's economic growth and military growth.... They are making great strides from their navy to the army... For Goodness sake they put a man in space. :).... They are gaining more influence in the Western Hemisphere and in other parts of the world.

MORE DEBATES :eek:

the_13th_redneck said:
Whosewar, don't start a thread with a question when you've already made up your mind about the conclusion.
{quote]

Reminds me of dsj, like banging your head against a brick wall.

Yes I know. But the question was, 5-10 years.
My guess is China will rival the US in about 20 years. Except it won't be a democracy and would be a tyrant in the traditional sense.
They're just keeping tradition going, that's all.

AsianAmerican said:
Chocobo_Blitzer i agree with you.... Whether you like it or not, America will sooner or later have some stiff competition... In my opinion given 15-30 years China will be close with America like Chocobo_Blitzer stated.
:p.... I am an American who has been involved in doing research about China's economic growth and military growth.... They are making great strides from their navy to the army... For Goodness sake they put a man in space. :).... They are gaining more influence in the Western Hemisphere and in other parts of the world.

MORE DEBATES :eek:

5-10 years is just too soon for china to catch up, 20-30 years with china having a stable economy then yes china will probably be up to date with the US but then so will the rest of the world probably

Shadowalker said:
5-10 years is just too soon for china to catch up, 20-30 years with china having a stable economy then yes china will probably be up to date with the US but then so will the rest of the world probably

I have a strong feeling it will be much sooner than most of you thought:

1) R&D funding from government is squeezing in USA (at least in Bush's government), at the same time, as I said, private companies have no interest about long-term research such as basic physics or chemistry, which is the fundamental for any weapons in long term goal.
THANKS FOR HIS TAX CUT!!!

2) Rumsfeld and Cheney, they are very interested in high-tech weapons, but their bias towards their "own" companies will deeply hurt R&D systematically. And their arrogant have destroyed many interests from Universities as those universities have big finical crisis already.

3) China's manufacturing will sweep out most manufacturing competitors from U.S.A very soon once USA "open" its market. When China begin to export $6000 SUV to China (China have become second largest automobile manufacturer already), I doubt GM, Ford's ability to survive, they'd rather reset their factories in China do the same thing as Chinese competitors do. Same thing will happen on most manufacturing. Okay, when most manufactures move to China from USA, there are tremendous lost in USA, first: experienced workers and engineers, second, technology and R&D ability (you cannot imaging innovation without manufacturing ability, they are just link together), when this happen, the R&D or manufacturing ability from defense department will dramatically decrease. One example, the command & control system, it needs huge data exchanges---means large need for routers and switchs. But do you know the biggest router manufactuer CISCO will become almost complete “Chinese company” (their CEO’s original words, CNN—exporting America) in 4-5 years? So will HP, and other companies.

4) US dollars price has never been such low in the international market---the lowest in history to pounds, euros and Canadian dollars. RMB is going to increase value in few month (highly likely), yes, that will slow down the Chinese exporting, but same time, it means scientists and engineers salary will decrease dramatically compared to scientist in Europe and China !! Do you know 2/3 engineers and scientist in US actually are foreigners? They will leave one by one after this happen!!

So, my conclusion: 10 years, enough time for an empire to become loser.

p.s. regarding your questions that “you never heard any Indian famous IT companies” or “all programmers work in USA”.--------please do little research before post your arguments. I think most other people in the forum have different opinion with you. -------in fact, even your credit history evaluation software are made from India and your data are viewed and evaluated in India as well :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back