How many of us had parents or grandparents etc. in the Military?

Both my wife and I are from military families. Her Dad served two terms in India, where she spent her early years; he did a 10 stretch first, from 16 years of age to 26, and then did China and Palestine and then went back to India, only to be called back when WW11 started. He served 28 years in all, up to WO11. His brother and his brother-in-law served with him, the latter went on to Monte Cassino and Korea with The Glorious Gloucesters, up to W01( Regimental S/Major), and then to Captain. Another brother served in the Australian Army but was given permission to return to Britain to fight when war broke out in Europe, and another was gassed in the WW1 trenches and survived. My wife's grandfather was Irish and served a life-time with the Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry and the Somersets, he was a Pioneer Sergeant. My wife was born in the Military Hospital at Aldershot.

As for myself, Me and my stepfather and his father all served in the same regiment (at different times), The Highland Light Infantry (the City of Glasgow regiment.) My stepfather was a boy soldier, survived Dunkirk after 10 years in India - he was a gymnast, a piper and a Highland dancer and like my father-in-law, a hardened professional soldier. My father's two brothers were seamen; one 12 years Royal Navy, served on The Hood until its last voyage, and was sent down twice on Submarines, spending some days in the water. The other was Merchant Marine and served on the Queen ships, spending WW11 racing across the Atlantic.

In WW11 I had other uncles who were Desert Rats, and some who served in Asia. One of my God-sons is a Major in the Infantry, just back from terms in Afghanistan and Fort Worth I hear. Two of my close cousins were Royal Marines and another served with the Scots Guards and the Canadian Army. My brother-in-law, who I met in 1965, was a regular in the RAF and served in Germany, Hong Kong, and Aden, and he has been a member of this forum for quite a long time. Unfortunately he recently lost his beloved wife, the sister of my own wife.

One of my own two brothers spent a lifetime with the TA and training army cadets, and ended as a Major, 2ic of the Cumbrian force and retired on turning down the number one spot as Lt Col. Another, left school early to go to sea and spent 2 years trading between Japan and Newcastle, Australia, followed by 7 years on Norwegian ships, usually as the only Englishman; he blotted his copybook on our pool by missing his ship when she sailed from Brazil; he found it very hard to leave the girls.

My wife and I met in a garrison town, to which we have since returned, and were married at 21 in a garrison church, Out Lady of the Victories.

My son-in-law was a boy soldier and a young regular soldier when I met him and I love him - and his young children!

And as a kid I served 2 years before the mast, where I first discovered USA - 1950.

Such was 20century life on the Island of Britain folks - sons of the sea!:smil:

Last edited:
Dont know whether I replied to this before, but my father (and grand father and grand grand father) have served as well.

Rattler

See

Do you know which unit of the SS he was in?

It is not much I have found on him.
He joined the Regiment "Nordland" in 1941 and when he was killed in Berlin in 1945, he was in 24. SS-Panzer-Grenadier Regiment "Danmark"

Nordland was quite a reputable unit. Most of the soldiers that joined this unit wanted to fight against the Russians on the Eastern front. They, along with some contingents of Spanish SS were among the last holdouts to fight against the Russians. The SS soldiers of the Norland that fought in Berlind died almost to man.

Both my grandfathers served during WW1 and two grandaunts were nurses with the Red Cross. One died of Spanish Flu while in service. The surviving sister also was a Red Cross nurse and served at field hospitals during the Spanish War, the aggression to Ethiopia and WW2.
My father, too young for active duty, gave minor contributions to the Resistance to Nazi occupation.

Gret great grandfathers fought for the Union.
One died at Andersonville.
Grandfathers both in WW1-Great uncle KIA in France.
Father 506th PIR, Uncle Seabee, WW2
Me 4 yrs SF, two tours in SEA.

WTF is it with sorry freeloaders who only have daddy or uncle stories?
What has prevented you from manning up and doing your own bit?

Keeping up with the Granduncle's on my mothers side is a far fetched case, but I know there was two who went for a career, one seeing action in the Coast Artillery (Lt?) when Nazi-Germany invaded in 1940, the other (Lt?) was in the Mountain Artillery, but I don't know if he was mobilized in 1940, then there's another one, (Sgt) and navigator in the RAF Coatal Command 330 sqn. RNoAF resting with his Sunderland somewhere between Iceland and Shetland where his patrol came to a sudden end.

My Grandfather on my mothers side was the one who chose a peacefull carrer in forestry, and thus ended up in the resistance during the war.
Grandfather on fathers side served in the RNoAF medical corps as (Lt) trained physician, as was my father (Maj) for a number of years.

I started out in the Coast Artillery (Gnr) and went on to Infantry reserve, later Home Guard (VP) and that's the end of the story.

No war-heroes that I know about here.

I've got a couple of ancestors that fought in the revolution, and a great great great grandfather that was a Captain in the Georgia cavalry in the Civil War. My deceased grandfather was in the US Navy in Korea I think he drove the landing craft to and from shore.

Every turkish person have one...

In Çanakkale, Yemen, Süveyş (that channel in Egypt), Caucasia (nearly 90.000 frozen soldiers), Iraq, (400.000 deaths)

A year later, war with Greece, pontic rebels, rebelled kurds, Armenians, French to the south... (nobody knows the certain number of deaths)

Everyone have...

For Turkish people its not surprising serving to army.
Coz there is no willing system and Our history full of war.

Well.
My bigest grandfather was a soldier in Ottoman Army and fighted against to Russian Empire at 1877/1878 Ottoman - Russian war.
Other grandfather fighted agaist to Russian Empire to in ww1.
One of my grandmother nephew fighted against to North Korea in Korean War.
My uncle a sergenat in Cyprus Greeks -Turkish War in 1974
I served in army as military police sergeant but i couldnt fight against to Terrorists.Coz Its forbidden to join to military operation if anyone a teacher in army for serving :)

Keeping up with the Granduncle's on my mothers side is a far fetched case, but I know there was two who went for a career, one seeing action in the Coast Artillery (Lt?) when Nazi-Germany invaded in 1940, the other (Lt?) was in the Mountain Artillery, but I don't know if he was mobilized in 1940, then there's another one, (Sgt) and navigator in the RAF Coatal Command 330 sqn. RNoAF resting with his Sunderland somewhere between Iceland and Shetland where his patrol came to a sudden end.

My Grandfather on my mothers side was the one who chose a peacefull carrer in forestry, and thus ended up in the resistance during the war.
Grandfather on fathers side served in the RNoAF medical corps as (Lt) trained physician, as was my father (Maj) for a number of years.

I started out in the Coast Artillery (Gnr) and went on to Infantry reserve, later Home Guard (VP) and that's the end of the story.

No war-heroes that I know about here.

I disagree that your family had no war hero's, your Grandfather being in the resistance took a great deal of courage, a crap load of courage more then I've got.

Going way back, on my Dad's side a soldier in an Arkansas Regt & one in a New York Regt on my Mom's side of the family. My Dad was a USAAF/USAF transport pilot WWII, Korea, Vietnam

My father is a retired RN Commander. Two grandfathers who participated in WWII. One was a Lieutenant in 45 RM Commando and the other was a Aircrew Sergeant in the RAF. A grandmother in the Wrens. A great-grandfather as a private in the Royal Horse Artillery during WWI.

Dad, conscript Sergeant in the Air Force in the '80s.
A grandfather as a Corporal in the army in the 50s and 60s and one more as a conscript seaman in the navy in the 60s.

Father Squadron Leader Bomber Command WW2 and before
Sister F/Lt RAF Admin
Me Paratrooper
Grandfather 4th Dragoons India and WW1
My Sisters son is a Major in the American Green Berets
My Great Grandfather RMA
My Grandmothers Uncle Robert Ryder VC Middlesex Regiment
My mothers brother was a Major RE he joined as boy soldier and fought in WW2
My Aunt on my mothers lost two sons in the Middles Regiment
Grandfathers Sister lost a son in North Africa, another at Dunkirk and a grandson at Torbok
An aunt lost her husband in HMS Hartland 1942 North Africa
My 5th cousin husband was also killed on HMS Hartland
Her Father died at the Somme
Another cousin was a Captain in the Guards he died of his wounds his brother was killed outright.
Now I could add about another 30 names to this list from my family that died in the two World Wars
William Harley who went to America from Littleport in Cambridgeshire and the who son set up Harley Davidson Motorcycles. Well William Harley Snr fought for the North in the American Civil War and it was the land grant that help set up his business.

My grandfather is a retired British Army Lance Corporal. He served in Northern Ireland, Gibraltar and Cyprus in the Somerset Cornwall Light Infantry. My father trained in the Royal Navy, but then decided that it wasn't for him, and I plan to join the British Armed Forces sometime soon! I currently have an uncle in the Royal Marines, and another uncle who is a retired Royal Marine.

Great Grandfather from my mother's side (mother's father's father to be more precise) served in the army during the Winter and Continuation Wars against USSR during the second world war. He was a Vääpeli (Warrant Officer). His group was one of the last ones to back out of Vyborg ahead of the Red Army's troops as they pulled back in 1944.

My grandfarther served in the reserves and reached the rank of Major.

I am also part of the Finnish reserves and reached the rank of Second Lieutenant, though it has to be said that this is not too difficult in the reserve.

Back