how to make smoke generator

masoodhashemy

Hello all
how to create a smoke generator to comflauge and hide us from laser & thermal detectors?(Beacuse if smoke does not protect from thermal imaging , In the smoke you are very funny !!!)
For example, When tanks from the battlefield escape your enemy with missiles, tanks were destroyed!!!

smoke11.jpg

Thank's a lot

Last edited:
Smoke generators we use in the movie industry wouldn't bother thermal imaging. They are pretty much the same the military uses. One model we use heats a manifold to 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit and would definitely light itself up as a heat source. The smoke at the exhaust might be around 300 degrees but rapidly cools or it would go straight up. Heat rises. Some smokers we use are actually surplus military.

We use quite a number of smoke fluids to get different effects. Quick dissipating to simulate steam. Thicker formulas that appear as oil smoke but aren't harmfully to the people that have to be in the smoke. Odorless (which isn't entirely).

We cool the smoke sometimes, to get it to lay low to the ground, to simulate fog. Some of these use CO2. Which means the actors and crew must keep their head above the fog as the oxygen in the air is displaced by the CO2. CO2 is heavier than air.

Basically smoke has to stay close to ambient temperature to stay close to the ground an not rise.

ok, firstly try to write your posts in understandable english. I my self have spelling errors, those are ok, but at least try to make the post make sens.

Smoke genrrators on tanks and othe AFVs do not block the vision from thermal imaging devices. They do block laser range finders and some of the laser designation systems. If you want to avoid thermal vision there are other options, including thermal signature reducing paint, materials and heat traps that confuse the enemy. Im not sure about white phosphorus, but as i recall it burns hot enough to screen thermal imaging devices.

If we want to protect against laser range finders should be what can we do?
If we want to protect against thermal imaging devices should be what can we do?

An Infrared Deflecting Smoke can be made using Neoprene chips or Graphite. There are a few chemical additives that can be included in a pyrotechnic smoke composition to achieve this result. Here is a "clip" taken from a infrared smoke patent > "To increase the camouflage effect in the infrared region one can also add a metallic powder or graphite powder to the pyrotechnic smoke composition. The proportion of expanding Substances in the pyrotechnic smoke composition is in the range between 40 and 65% in order to obtain the particle density in the smoke cloud necessary for a camouflage effect."

I have a simple solution to counter a camouflage smoke generator, simply shoot to where the smoke is coming from :)

The smoke generators on the M1 were pretty effective. While I was in Germany we were in a convoy going through a small German town when one of the drivers in an M1 got cute and triggered his smoke generator. Didn't make the Germans too happy, but it filled the street nicely. Out in an open area the smoke spreads out more, but it's still pretty thick.

I bet they weer a little more than unhappy LOL
You think a smoke gen on a M1 is fun put one just outside a enclosed smoke shack and watch the fun.

Tell me about it. When we did MOUT training in the training town at Fort Benning we had to take one of the students to the hospital for smoke inhalation. We were using the big smoke pots and somebody had put one right outside the door of one of the buildings. The draft pulled the smoke right into the building. You couldn't see 2 feet in there.:camo:

I was over at HM14 doing some work on their gunship conversion of a MH53 once and I went out to a building they had designated as a smoke house, everybody was outside, and a few peopel weer laughing, seems sombody tossed a smoke grenade in there under the bench :)
Base fire dept didn't think it was funny as tehy brought 3 trucks.

Back