How to Make Coffee

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
I WAS A YOUNG SEAMAN on board the USS Hancock. The morning we steamed under the Golden Gate Bridge headed for Vietnam, I was assigned to make the ready-room coffee. Luckily, I found a nearby deep sink to fill the pot with water, and soon the smell of the freshly perked brew filled the room. The CO was the first to sample a cup. He took a healthy drink and then spit coffee across the room with expletives worthy of the most seasoned sailor. I quickly received an intense lecture on the difference between a saltwater deep sink and a freshwater deep sink.

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Dan L. Farley

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Reminds me of a similar problem my division had with our coffee mess. We made fresh coffee in Sonar every four hours 24/7 while out at sea. A new member of our division who didn't drink coffee, didn't like to make it. He got the bright idea that if he "accidently" made it with saltwater he wouldn't have to make it anymore.

Our Chief got the first cup. :p

The "bright" sonarman didn't think his idea was so good, after the 3rd day of having to report to sonar every 4 hours day and night to make a fresh pot.:wink:

Back