How To Keep Your Soul

lvcabbie

WARNING! This may be construed to be religious.
Full article @ http://militarygear.com/asp/2011/08/23/how-to-keep-your-soul/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ASoldiersPerspective+%28A+Soldier%27s+Perspective%29
by CJ
NOTE: This is a religious post. If you don’t believe in God, want to mock God, or get offended because you weren’t hugged enough as a child, do not read any further.
225992.jpg

The Soldiers from 3rd Platoon, 62nd Engineer Company, 4th Engineer Battalion pray before a mission. Although not all of the Soldiers are religious, they all join in to be a part of the circle and pray before every mission.
Nearly five years ago, I wrote a post based on my experience in called “How to Lose Your Soul.” It was difficult enough to publish the first time and more embarrassing to point out again. But, I never really published my thoughts leading up to that day and what led me to make that decision outside of that day’s events.
By the time this was written, I had been in sustained combat for nearly a week straight. We crossed the border just prior to midnight on the 20th and suffered virtually constant contact from that moment. While there were moments of quiet and boredom, they were interrupted by the reality of an enemy that though they could defeat us.

Read more at the above url.

:salute:

Well,... this is a non religious post.

I could go on, but you know what I'm going to say. You're just trolling, aren't you?

The loss of the soul I suppose, is a built-in adaptation and survival mechanism. We all have our limits to how much we can endure. Sometimes it's just not possible to do the right thing, we don´t have the strength. If life is too difficult, then that part of the soul which is most affected will leave us. The organism will survive, while the lost part drift away. If the soul has a built-in adaptation and survival mechanism, then the day you became a soldier, perhaps was the day when you lost a very important part of your soul, a part that perhaps could not have survived in uniform.

Or maybe you found part of your soul the day you put on a uniform. Or that first day you did good by a people in strife..

The thing I can say for certain is I have never heard of anyone staying completely unaffected by war.
I submit that if you do you are in serious trouble.

KJ sends..

Back