How important is english in non-english countries?

WarMachine

I've noticed that a lot of our non american or british friends come from foreign countries. So i just want to know how prolific english is in their societies and how important it is to know it these days.

I can only speak on the basis of Hong Kong.

Apparently the SAR govt. wants all the schools to be trilingual (and possibly quadlingual with French), and lack the funding to do so. Most of the people in my school spend most of their free time communicating in Cantonese or Indian (which does kind of undermine the point of having an English system!)
From what I've noticed, English (and French) are barely useful unless you live in an English or French community or that someone you know speaks only those languages.

In terms of Hong Kong, mandarin seems to be much more important to learn. (for obvious reasons due to its proximity to the PRC)

From what I've heard, Hong Kong Universities do not recognise A level qualifications in Mandarin because they expect you to know it already (!??!). Will try and find out more on this.

english is the standard language of international commerce. whether or not countries stress education in english, i dont know. what i do know is that it is wise for people to learn english if they plan on communicating with people in another country.

English is becoming increasingly important in Italy. I have been studying it since Junior High but this gov made it mandatory to take it since Primary School.

English is becoming increasingly important in Italy. I have been studying it since Junior High but this gov made it mandatory to take it since Primary School.

Anyways, notice that we don't get Movies or shows in English: differently than in northern Europe, American movies gets dubbed. Which is just a huge limit.

In Spain its study is obligatory science you are 6 years old, and I guess that in all europe happens the same...

guess that in all europe happens the same...
yes almost, in France you have to choose a foreign language when you are 7 or 8 yo (I don't remember exactly), but this is not english compulsory. Nevertheless you have to choose a second language when you get 12 or 13 yo.
Personally I am more gifted for german than english I believe ;)

Ah, but English is a Germanic language. Many of the words are virtually the same though the grammer is quite different.

I speak limited German (it was alot better when I used it everyday in Deutschesland). I also speak some Spanish but that has lingered longer and suffered accordingly. My best second language is French. Four years of it in high school and a large French speaking area of the world just on my border. It really helps alot not just in Canada but here in Vermont too. Can't tell you how many times I've helped out visiting Quebeçois in dealings with the locals. Oddly enough, in Montreal I'm not given much credit for it and the locals there are just as unfriendly as ever, but since working with Canadian Forces several years ago at Valcartier I have visited Quebec City and fell in love with the place. Speak a little Français and they warm right up to you. At least that's what's happened for me the half dozen or so times I've been back.

Getting back to subject, I hope Americans don't grow to depend too heavily on English being the "world language" of commerce. Language is as much an expression of the culture as art is. Literature is of course an art and something is lost in the artwork when translated.

english is very important in chian, almost every kid learns it nowdays

it is very important for future references, becuase the 2 most important languges are chinese and english, which when mastered like me will bring about good fortunes when having a job

Since you are 9 years old and it basicly never ends.

You need to pass english to be able to continnue to study at collage and above.

But its not the end of the world if you don't know english either.

Adding a bit to my earlier post...

One thing I found odd was how many French-Canadians speak very little or no English at all. I know they've had many laws enacted to protect their culture but it seems bizarre to not speak English when the vast majority of your own country does.

Well,here in Norway you cant enlist if you don't know English....now enlistment is a wide term here since my boyfriend had to do first 1 year obligatory service in the Air Force, then enlisted and after that he could apply for Air Navigation School. Anyone here from CFANS in Canada? He was supposed to do his practical at Randolph Air Force Base but was suddenly re-directed to Canadian Forces Air Navigation School
in Winnipeg
:D maybe Norway and the States are at war and we just don't know about it lol but seriously, dose anyone know why they changed venues for Navigation School. He enlisted as a C130 Navigator and is kinda depressed in Canada:D

In Taiwan --

English is a required course starting junior high, it is tested in college entrance exams. I say it's quite important.

English is so widespread around the world, but the downside as regards UK is that it is becoming less important in schools to learn a foreign language and more kids are dropping out of language classes. As the joke goes, what do you call a person who speaks many languages.....multilingual, what do you call a man who speaks two languages.......bilingual, what do you call a man who speaks one language.........English

Charge_7 said:
Adding a bit to my earlier post...

One thing I found odd was how many French-Canadians speak very little or no English at all. I know they've had many laws enacted to protect their culture but it seems bizarre to not speak English when the vast majority of your own country does.

The Quebecois have been intensly ethno nationalistic. The result is that generally they reject everything haveing to due with English culture, especially the language.

Back