How important is english in non-english countries? - Page 2

--
Boots

April 3rd, 2005  
AlexKall

Since you are 9 years old and it basicly never ends.

You need to pass english to be able to continnue to study at collage and above.

But its not the end of the world if you don't know english either.
April 3rd, 2005  
Charge 7

Adding a bit to my earlier post...

One thing I found odd was how many French-Canadians speak very little or no English at all. I know they've had many laws enacted to protect their culture but it seems bizarre to not speak English when the vast majority of your own country does.
April 4th, 2005  
Lizzy

Well,here in Norway you cant enlist if you don't know English....now enlistment is a wide term here since my boyfriend had to do first 1 year obligatory service in the Air Force, then enlisted and after that he could apply for Air Navigation School. Anyone here from CFANS in Canada? He was supposed to do his practical at Randolph Air Force Base but was suddenly re-directed to Canadian Forces Air Navigation School
in Winnipeg
maybe Norway and the States are at war and we just don't know about it lol but seriously, dose anyone know why they changed venues for Navigation School. He enlisted as a C130 Navigator and is kinda depressed in Canada
--
Boots
April 4th, 2005  
Zyca

In Taiwan --

English is a required course starting junior high, it is tested in college entrance exams. I say it's quite important.
April 4th, 2005  
KC72

English is so widespread around the world, but the downside as regards UK is that it is becoming less important in schools to learn a foreign language and more kids are dropping out of language classes. As the joke goes, what do you call a person who speaks many languages.....multilingual, what do you call a man who speaks two languages.......bilingual, what do you call a man who speaks one language.........English
April 5th, 2005  
r031Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Adding a bit to my earlier post...

One thing I found odd was how many French-Canadians speak very little or no English at all. I know they've had many laws enacted to protect their culture but it seems bizarre to not speak English when the vast majority of your own country does.
The Quebecois have been intensly ethno nationalistic. The result is that generally they reject everything haveing to due with English culture, especially the language.