How to get a JROTC Program in my highschool

Yea i just sent an email to the Student Activities head at my school (btw, does it matter if your school is public or private?)

Anyway, i hope he at least reads my letter, because i know there are countless students who are definately interested. I didnt write him a report or anything, but I'm crossing my fingers.

I just talked to my Director of Student Activities and he said that the school would be interested and that i would need to gather some info about the programs, anyway, i gather that and heres my info just to help any of you out:

After contacting some of the programs and talking to some students of high schools which have JROTC, a good way to ensure a JROTC program would be to apply to all branches and then accept the first that accepts the applications, however here are some websites which I found that have the info about their respective JROTC programs:

Naval JROTC Program Information:

https://www.njrotc.navy.mil/index.cfm

Marine Corps JROTC Program Information:

http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/jrotc/

Army JROTC Program Information:

https://gateway.usarmyjrotc.com/http://portal.usarmyjrotc.com/jrotc/dt

Air Force JROTC Program Info:

http://www.afoats.af.mil/AFJROTC/index.asp

These sites are the official sites for the branches of the Armed Forces and their JROTC programs. Also, all sites contain School Application forms and additional info.

i recently read that getting a AJROTC program could take up to 5 years because they have such a long waiting list. My friend and I have both tried to start one at my school and that was in the begining of the year and it is now summer and we just finally got a reply after making several apoinments to see our activities director and she said they are still looking into it.

Hi i was just reading the letter you wrote, and i was wondering can i, myself, copy and paste it to my principle, and would i get in trouble for stealing someone's else work?

Yeah on that same topic.... i just moved to virginia from Florida and in florida i was in njrotc and in the drill team and athletic team and all that but beacuse my dad is in the military we had to move to virginia and this lame school has no njrotc so im really pissed I wrote a letter to the principal, and got alot of people to sign it but she hasnt called me down yet . i think shes trying to avoid it CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!????:read:

Yeah on that same topic.... i just moved to virginia from Florida and in florida i was in njrotc and in the drill team and athletic team and all that but beacuse my dad is in the military we had to move to virginia and this lame school has no njrotc so im really pissed I wrote a letter to the principal, and got alot of people to sign it but she hasnt called me down yet . i think shes trying to avoid it CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!????:read:

Getting a JROTC unit started is hard these days. With so much dis-approval of the military, some towns have gone so far as to outlaw JROTC in schools. Its sad, as JROTC is a fantastic program, but if you go to a small school (or one filled with not much love for the military) you might be out of luck. You can try Sea Cadets or CAP though. Good luck.

I am attempting to get a JROTC program started in my school but is it possible to have more than one such as an AJORTC and AFJORTC in the same school.

It all depends on the JROTC program. I'm in Army JROTC and CAP I think their both good. CAP Cadets think they have more dedicated members then JROTC just because they are a volunteer organization. Thats kind of true but I have to say JROTC has more opportunities for PT and other physical activities. CAP and JROTC both have professionals but just b/c JROTC is a class there are sometimes people who got put in there who didn't want it with school scheduling SNAFUs.

Also ONE JROTC program PER School cant have 2 branches.

MCJROTC Instructor here

These are some of the issues you are going to deal with trying to get a new program at any High School.

1. Location: Usually needs to be in an area that is supportive of the program. States like Texas, Virginia, NC, SC where there is a large military presence makes it easier to open a school there because there is an infrastructure in place to support a program.

States like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and parts of California that are very liberal have a hard time getting programs because of the anti-military sentiment and they tax military retirement HARD which makes it unattractive to prospective instructors looking towards retirement. States with failing economies (Rust Belt Michigan, Indiana, Ohio) are not on JROTC's radar because of the amount of schools they are closing down and Reduction of Force among faculty in these areas.

2. Student Population: If a school is not rocking close to 3000 students, it is not going to be a candidate for a program. The One-Room Schoolhouse with a Senior Class of 16 is not the answer, to justify funding you have to have numbers (<1000 students, 100 cadets minimum enrolled in JROTC)

3. Sec Army/SecNav/Air Force approval: Each branch has a specific amount of programs they are approved to keep open as mandated by Congress. For any school that has been on a waiting list to receive a JROTC program, you have to shut down a program to get that program open. It's a long process to put a "bullet in that horse" as there are some underperforming programs across that country that remain open.

Your school administration must apply to the specific branch (Student petitions will not cut it gang) and then an area mgr. will come out to your school to do a feasability study (Community, Population Trends, Facilities to maintain a program as far as storage, classroom and office space, areas for drill and marksmanship) Some districts are willing to build the JROTC programs their own Field House, others get shoved in a portable or the basement (Dungeon) out of sight, out of mind.

A lot of variables to consider, and it all comes down to money and infrastructure. Hope this helps.

Back