How far is stealth today?

January 17th, 2005  

Topic: How far is stealth today?

The reason for this topic is...well I'm active on some other MilForums and there's this "persona" there who is very patriotic (an American)....nothing wrong with patriotic as long as doesn't cloud your judgement-we'll get back to him in a moment...but first the background...
... the topic was China's new JXX (I think I got the designation right) and of course there are many opinions on how ahead in this field the US is compared to the rest of the world-and this individual claimed (among other wild things) that the US has fielded a (his words following) "prototype visual spectrum stealth aircraft"-I know a lot of fancy words for something invisible.
This individual is on this occasion and some other proven that he is
a.) Full of bollocks
b.) a liar (he is repeating how he is/was an officer (Navy) on board the USS Constellation etc-but when confronted with stuff that true crewmembers would literally have to know he ignores it with something like "I dont have to prove to you this and that" high contrast to everyone else with valid background who can really prove (and have no trouble in doing so) that they were in the Gulf, Afghanistan etc...
c.) Is a master @ Google: He finds a lot of info but in a truly perversed way he twists a lot of it to suit the b******t he's saying.
d.) Is an ignorant ****: When valid arguments are brought up to him he either dismisses them as "We're the US armed forces-we can chew up anything that the enemy throws at us" or simply ignores them all together or partially answers them with muchos help from Google and his art of twisting fact.

Normally I don't give a shit about people like these but he's already cluttered some much webspace and bandwidth that someone needs to take him out-in an elegant way-but so that it leaves no compromise on who's right.

So I ask you all humbly what you know of invisible planes.

Mod edit:Well, ROK, you are an experienced user, and I did say if you guys keep on posting in the wrong category, ill lock. so for now its locked. I cant clean up after you all the time.
January 17th, 2005  
Whispering Death
I don't have a source on this but there are some techniques from hiding in the visual spectrum. Most notably in Japan there is a technology using many cameras on the back of an object and LCD screens on the front where the cameras capture the image behind the object and display it on the LCD screens, making it apeas as though the viewer is looking 'through' the object. As you can imagine, though, such technology is fairly expensive and quite limited.

But as for aircraft? It's complete B.S. Not only is there nothing on it anywhere I've read but there is no need for visual spectrum stealth. Missiles and sensors detect aircraft through radar and heat. This isn't 1950s Korea, no one gets close enough to use a cannon on an aircraft flying mach 2.5 these days.

And on behalf of Americans I apologize for that forum member, he's almost certainly a kid and the children in our fair country are very pompous and self-obsessed.
January 17th, 2005  
every country has its ******s
January 17th, 2005  
Whats the forum address? I'm interested in seeing another military forum, Can you PM the adress if you dont want to post it?
January 17th, 2005  

Topic: hmmmmmmmm

its a brit army forum and very agrresive so any thing can be said. very easy offense lol

Stealth........i know when they built the black bird thingy one that was stealth yet wasn't stealth in the rain.

Its a number of different things. a surface that is not flat and won't reflect a radar's beams is stealth.....theres a certain kinda black metal stuff (can't rem the name) that can be used, its used on ships and it helps things be stealth
January 17th, 2005  
Charge 7
I don't know. I can't see them he he