How famous does one have to be, for it to be considered an..

Miss-Banned

assassination. Why is it considered a murder for a normal person, and an assassination for a wealthy or famous person.

My friends frequently have debates on this question. Now, I suppose I will spread this debate further.

P.S. I don't know which forum this belongs in so I'm placing it here.

the web dictionary says "In its most common use, assassination has come to mean the killing of an important person"

but who is an important person...that will probably be judged by the most powerful orgnization in the world----"media"

a person will be important if reporters decide to give that guy more coverage, good or bad.

so if I got killed, probably in a corner of a newspaper says "a vancouver dude got murdered",, and that is it

but a man media likes to chase got killed, that would be the headline in the media circle, than i 'd call it an Assassination

I see where your coming from, but in the end it's just plain murder. Why?, because a another famous person usually says that his fellow famous person was murdered, not assassinated.

See it's a round-about question. It goes both ways.

as Assassination is one kind of murder....i think it is just a term to call a murder when the victim belongs to the minority of human race --- the rich, famous, powrful, cool and abnormal

despite what the dictionary may say, i dont think an assassination has to be when an important person is killed. i say that its when the murder is planned and carried out and thought about, and its done with cold efficiency. most murders, to me, are crimes of passion, out of rage or anger, or jealousy, or any other basic human emotion. an assassination is carried out to accomplish a goal, not just out of anger. thats my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

:shock:
Ummm, no one here has been cleared to answer this question, its highly classified. I saw the truth once, I worked right next to it but never knew it was there till it was gone or so they told me. Everyone back to your cubicle before we have an assassination or a 'termination' as we call it in the agency. Ahem. 8)

:lol:

At least in spanish criminal law an assesination happens when you kill a person concurring this circunstances:

- treachery
- killing for money
- to kill using methods that increase unnecesary the suffer of the victim
- to kill specially vulnerable people (child, ancient and disabled)
- premeditation and nocturnality

The punishment could go up to 30 years in jail.

bulldogg said:
:shock:
Ummm, no one here has been cleared to answer this question, its highly classified. I saw the truth once, I worked right next to it but never knew it was there till it was gone or so they told me. Everyone back to your cubicle before we have an assassination or a 'termination' as we call it in the agency. Ahem. 8)

:lol:

....what? I'm confused.

Absolutely not. I am just trying to bring you in son. Now give me the password and we can all go home. Remember your training.

Bulldogg said:
Challenge: The elephants fly at dawn.
Reply: "the Owls are not what they seem"

(Sorry Redneck, couldn't resist it... :oops: )

Thread moved to General Chit chat.
I think it fits best in here (st least now...)

Roger that Redleg, we have a friendly coming through the line troops, hold your fire.
From a purely comical and concrete line of thinking one is forced to consider that assassination's definition should be as follows:

The act of attacking one's nation's fourth point of contact with your own fourth point of contact in an effort to make a complete @$$ of one's self.

On the serious tip the word is like many words in that its dictionary definition is not always in line with what some might call the working definition or the legal definition. Ultimately from a linguistic point of view it is only important what it means in the context of its usage and as such is subject to change according to the author and the audience.

Assassination

So an assassination could also involve a conspiracy as well right? (Brutus and congress vs Julius Ceasar) or not (JFK)?

id doesnt matter, and there are many people who think there was a conspiracy to kill JFK ;) haha, but it doesnt matter how many people are in on it, if theres one person, its an assassination, if theres 20 people, its an assassination

So like I put some poison in a drink and then some one drinks the poison and then someone else comes in and shoots the guy who just was poisoned, who actually assassinated him, the guy who shot him, or me for putting the poison in his drink?

Just curious, not anything I will ever do, just one of those, what ifs ya know

Forensic science to the rescue mate... the coroner would determine which act cause his death through science. There are actual cases like this scenario you have described in which a person would have been guilty of murder but someone else's method was more efficient and beat them to the punch. And if you use the right poison it can never be traced. ;)

greenarmy1980 said:
So like I put some poison in a drink and then some one drinks the poison and then someone else comes in and shoots the guy who just was poisoned, who actually assassinated him, the guy who shot him, or me for putting the poison in his drink?

Just curious, not anything I will ever do, just one of those, what ifs ya know

The trigger puller goes for murder. The GSW is the cause of death.

You go for Attempted Murder because you well attempted murder by placing a poison in his drink. So while the poison didn't kill him you had the intent. Of course a good DA might make a Murder charge stick because of your intent.

Back