how does one go about joining a pmc?

Minor Itch

I've been trying to join the military for the past 8 months now, I've tried Navy, Army, Marines, however due to some screw up by a doctor misdiagnosing me with depression, I can't get approved for a physical, even with a 97 on the ASVAB. Problem is, I've wanted to join the military all my life, and the only thing holding me back is the tighter tolerances associated with downsizing our military (United States). I'm SOL unless a conflict kicks up.(If any Military Recruiters want to correct what my army recruiter told me, please do, I want to know my chances)

Is trying to join a PMC as an operator a viable option?

I'm currently scheduled to enter the police academy next winter, If I managed to work my way into the SWAT Teams, would that help with my chances?(I'm 6'4", in better shape than most, no tattoos, no piercings)

any answers would be helpful, especially since I don't know how someone goes about this.

I can't help either, but I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your questions. Best of luck!

Most recruiters want a nice,simple enlistment, " Sign here kid". Your situation is not simple and few recruiters want to be bothered with it. A form has to be sent to the therapist or physician who made the diagnosis. The form will ask whether the condition prevents you from protecting national security. If the answer is no, you can be enlisted, BUT it is very unlikely that you would ever be granted a TOP SECRET security clearance. That will severely limit your career options. Try the National Guard. They have more time to deal with the issue, if they want to.

As for joining a PMC, most of the reputable ones that aren't going to simply use you as cannon fodder have a very stringent screening process. You will need to have some sort of operational background in the special operations community for at least 10 years to be competitive. Now being a SWAT member would help, but you're looking at 3-4 years as a beat cop...prove yourself...then 7-10 years on a SWAT team in a major city to be taken seriously. Bottom line up front, you've certainly got a ways to go before you can even think of realistically having a shot at working for a PMC.

I second BrinkTK. Former Snake Eaters are working as security guards. There are more than enough qualified applicants for PMC positions.

I was an Army recruiter a long time ago, but I have recent dealings with Recruiters(trying to bet a nephew in) and what they do now is nothing like what I did. They recruit by committee, not as individuals. If I understand the process this means when you apply the whole team reviews you - so I would think they know what they are talking about.

But then again they made Bergdahl a Sgt. after he deserted so what do I know.

In my day and with your high ASVAB score I think we could have gotten you a waiver, but like I said, they do things different now.

But then again they made Bergdahl a Sgt. after he deserted so what do I know.

Ah yes. Bergd**che. The biggest fail in some idiot Army recruiter's history. "The Coast Guard kicked you out for mental issues? *shrug* Sign here. Welcome to the Army!" -_-

Ah yes. Bergd**che. The biggest fail in some idiot Army recruiter's history. "The Coast Guard kicked you out for mental issues? *shrug* Sign here. Welcome to the Army!" -_-

I loved the Army - but as I came to realize - the Army will never love me.

To look back and remember all the petty, bureaucratic, and PC crap is astonishing. Even in Spec. Op’s there was far too much of it and Recruiting was absolutely ridiculous!

I choose (hope) to believe the Army will do the right thing with Bergdahl, it is clear to most of us that he deserves prison - at least.

I loved the Army - but as I came to realize - the Army will never love me.

To look back and remember all the petty, bureaucratic, and PC crap is astonishing. Even in Spec. Op’s there was far too much of it and Recruiting was absolutely ridiculous!

I choose (hope) to believe the Army will do the right thing with Bergdahl, it is clear to most of us that he deserves prison - at least.

I'll be shocked if they do punish him. He's Obummer's golden child. He thought he'd be praised for bringing Bergd**che home. That worked out sooooo well for him. -SMH- I live in Idaho (unfortunately) and have met some of the Bergdahl family. That whole group is nuttier than a freaking fruitcake.

But that's a whole 'nother thread. Back to the topic at hand.

I'll be shocked if they do punish him. He's Obummer's golden child. He thought he'd be praised for bringing Bergd**che home. That worked out sooooo well for him. -SMH- I live in Idaho (unfortunately) and have met some of the Bergdahl family. That whole group is nuttier than a freaking fruitcake.

But that's a whole 'nother thread. Back to the topic at hand.

I’ve been to Idaho, Burley, I liked it - great fishing and hunting and very pretty country, but you do have to get along with Mormons.

I can understand about the family, if they were republican, patriotic, gun owning Americans Obama wouldn’t have had anything to do with them!

But after all the crap this administration has gotten away with I have to hope this time the Army will step up.

There seems to be something in store for Bergdahl because if the intention was to slip him out the backdoor then they missed their chance. He was under intense medical and psychiatric scrutiny when he first returned and if there was grounds for a medical ( psychiatric) discharge that was the time to do it. The fact that he has been returned to "normal" duty status tells me that the other shoe hasn't dropped. He is owed five years back pay and allowances and in order to deny him that compensation he is going to have to be courtmartialed, A Dishonorable Discharge can only be imposed as a result of a General Courtmartial and that can also direct that all pay and allowances be forfeit. Anything short of that is going to have to be an administrative discharge, meaning he could get up to a Bad Conduct Discharge, but I don't know if they can take his money. The guy has been treated better than he or anyone else had any reason to expect up till now, but there are people who want his scalp and some of them are high ranking officers. We will see if they get their way, but something has to happen pretty damn soon. This guy's shelf life is soon to expire, so they have to either cook him and eat him or put him in the trash.

Back