How did your country get its name ?

--
Boots

February 6th, 2005  
Xion

Topic: How did your country get its name ?

Just wondering what do the names of different countries actually mean or at least where/how did they originate from..
Like China got it name from the Qin Dynasty...
India from the Indus River Valley civilization...

Can ppl from different countries post what does their country's name mean or how did their nation come to be called by that name ?
February 6th, 2005  
Sexybeast

how did china get its name anyway? from Qin dynasty, could u give us some more details on that one, thanks

canada probably gets its name when fur traders came and asked natives what place is this, then natives answered Canada which means something else in native language
February 6th, 2005  
rotc boy

America was named after, surprise, not columbus, some guy with the last name America or something like that(this is history from a couple years ago, cant really remember... )
Im sure Nulli with his 97 in history could help a lil more...
--
Boots
February 6th, 2005  
Xion

Amerigo Vespucci was the name if I'm not wrong.

Qin Dynasty info : http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/prehisto...china/qin.html
February 6th, 2005  
rotc boy

thats it!
February 6th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

It was a 99.5%, get it right. give me a few minutes and I can find out. Xion is right. http://www.ancestry.com/learn/librar...x?article=6501
February 6th, 2005  
Bootboy82

The English (derived from Latin Germania) and the German (Deutschland)name refers to a tribe called Teutons (literally Teuton's land) whereas the Italian and French for example refer to the tribe of the Alemanni.
February 6th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Korea is a mispronounciation of Koryo, the Kingdom that came before the Japanese occupation.
February 7th, 2005  
pimp_squeak

Canada come from the native phrase "our land", Ka Na Ta
February 7th, 2005  
Darcia

United States of America:

States Who got United+ Name of the Continent they where on, realy not much imagination put into the name.