How did your country get its name ? - Page 5

--
Boots

September 8th, 2010  
FADEYI

Topic: NIGERIA

Like the name sounds, it is a litorial country, however the name emanated from the Word NIGER AREA, meaning parcel of Land around River Niger being one of the biggest river in the country. The name was given by British Colonial msters after the amalgamation in 1914.
September 8th, 2010  
koalaburger

I though New Zealand meant where is my plane ticket to Australia.
September 8th, 2010  
MontyB

We like to send missionaries to the less fortunate countries but we didn't name the country for it.

--
Boots
September 8th, 2010  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch
Now that the thread's officially resurrected...

Actually, the terms 'deutsch' and 'Deutschland' have nothing to do with the 'Teutons'. They are derived from the Old High German word 'diutisc', which roughly means 'of the people' or 'speaking the language of the people' and was used to describe a number of Germanic tribes speaking a common language, in contrast to 'walhisk' used for Celtics and (Gallo-)Romans.
The words for 'German' in many languages are derived from this 'diutisc': Danish and Norwegian 'tysk' as well as the Swedish 'tyska', Spanish 'tudesco', Italian 'tedesco', Dutch 'duits' (and the term 'Dutch' itself)...

And mmarsh: it's 'Frankreich'.
I know, but I translated it to literal English as not everyone understands German.
September 9th, 2010  
Moloch

Well...I think 'Reich' is a term everyone understands since about 75 years ago...unfortunately...
September 9th, 2010  
koalaburger

Hey Monty, I think it was Piggy Muldoon who said Kiwis going to Australia raised the IQ of both countries. LOL.
September 9th, 2010  
Micha

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalaburger
Hey Monty, I think it was Piggy Muldoon who said Kiwis going to Australia raised the IQ of both countries. LOL.
You mean like this:

Kiwi bloke was on earth doing the Haka. Somewhere in space, Aliens were watching this unusual dance.

"Kamate, kamate, ka-ora, ka-ora......"

The Aliens were very interested and they wanted to see what would happen if they would take a part of his brain away without him even knowing. So with their alien technology they sent a laser beam down that hit the Kiwi's head and took a part of his brain away.

The Aliens then sat back to see what would happen.

"Ka-mate, ka-mate, ka-ora, ka-ora......."

What the??? The Aliens were amazed with what they were seeing. The Kiwi guy could operate with less than a full brain. So they decided to send the beam down and take another part of his brain. The Aliens watched on.

"Ka-mate, ka-mate, ka-ora, ka-ora......"

"WHAT!!!" the Aliens said to each other. "These Kiwis are very clever people even with half a brain. Let's see what happens if we take the rest of it away and leave him with no brain at all!"

So with a push of a button the Aliens sent the beam down and took away the final part of the Kiwi's brain.

"Now surely he won't know anything at all.He should be too dumb and stupid to do anything now?"

And sure enough, with no brain and no knowledge of anything at all as the Aliens watched on the bloke sang,

"WALTZING MATILDA, WALTZING MATILDA......"

Sorry boys; but it was just natural to make a joke here.
September 10th, 2010  
LeEnfield

Great Britain,,,,well some one had to be the greatest
September 10th, 2010  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloch
Well...I think 'Reich' is a term everyone understands since about 75 years ago...unfortunately...
Don't be so sure, as a Europeaner you'd be astonished at the levels of ignorance and lack of education in the US these days. A few months ago I saw a poll taken amongst American "Christians" that showed that a large majority thought that Christianity was older than Judaism.
September 16th, 2010  
Ted

It's funny though that the French call Germany still by it's latin name Allemagne, derived from the Alemanen. And these guys walked the earth when the Romans moved in... not sure when that was.

The Netherlands... because we are an estuarium of many rivers (together with Vlemish Belgium) and lay beneath sea level. At least a large part of our country. Nether = Neder = low or lower. So you could roughly translate it as Low Country.