How did your country get its name ? - Page 3

--
Boots

February 7th, 2005  
Xion

Good info Bootboy , thanks

Here's what I found about the origin of the word Israel:

The word Israel itself, far from being a Jewish appellation, probably comes from the combination of three different reigning deities: Isis, the Earth Mother Goddess revered throughout the ancient world; Ra, the Egyptian sungod; and El, the Semitic deity passed down in form as Saturn

Origin of the word Brazil:

the word "Brazil" is derived from the Portuguese and Spanish word "Brasil", the name of an East Indian tree with reddish-brown wood from which a red dye was extracted. The Portuguese found a New World tree related to the Old World brasil tree when they explored what is now called Brazil, and "as a result they named the New World country after the Old World tree".

What Vietnam means:

Viet Nam means the Viets of the South (Nam) or the south populated by the Viet the main ethnic group in Vietnam.
February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Hon does mean self. The character is used in that context in many cases.
What you have to remember about Chinese character based words in Korean and Japanese are that they are ALL basically shorthand... ideas that would otherwise be very long can be expressed in as few as two syllables.
The character for "origin" is different. In Korean it's read as "wun," while what is "hon" in Japanese is "bon." The Japanese read the Chinese characters (kanji) in many different ways... it's complicated. I don't know the phonetic way they'd read "wun" but one of the "meaning" ways they express it is "moto." So actually Ajinomoto means "the origin of taste" or soemthing like that. Ajinomoto is a famous food additive brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_squeak

Russia was actually named after a tribe of scandinavians inhabiting the region known as the "rus", it's all documented in Ibn Fadlan's manuscript.

As well the meaning of Nippon was mistranslated, "Ni" does mean sun but "pon" means origin, hence land of the rising sun, it's the origin of the sun.
February 8th, 2005  
pimp_squeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Hon does mean self. The character is used in that context in many cases.
What you have to remember about Chinese character based words in Korean and Japanese are that they are ALL basically shorthand... ideas that would otherwise be very long can be expressed in as few as two syllables.
The character for "origin" is different. In Korean it's read as "wun," while what is "hon" in Japanese is "bon." The Japanese read the Chinese characters (kanji) in many different ways... it's complicated. I don't know the phonetic way they'd read "wun" but one of the "meaning" ways they express it is "moto." So actually Ajinomoto means "the origin of taste" or soemthing like that. Ajinomoto is a famous food additive brand.

Quote:

Russia was actually named after a tribe of scandinavians inhabiting the region known as the "rus", it's all documented in Ibn Fadlan's manuscript.

As well the meaning of Nippon was mistranslated, "Ni" does mean sun but "pon" means origin, hence land of the rising sun, it's the origin of the sun.
My mistake, I seem to be on a role with these mistakes in this thread. I got that translation from the introduction of a book I read a while back about the Japanese treatment of American POWs during WW2. If you're interested in checking it out the title is Flyboys by James Bradley, it's a really good read
--
Boots
February 8th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Yeah but not the best source for Kanji explanation.
February 18th, 2005  
gladius

I'm not from Canada but...

The original name for Canada, dreamed up by a parliamentary committee in London, was "Cold North Dominion," but that waas too long, so they abbreviated it C.N.D. The King's Royal Governor presented the new name to the inhabitants, and they didn't say a word. Just looked at him.

"Well, what do you think?" asked the Royal Governor?

"C., eh?" said the first fellow, and just looked at the Governor.

"N., eh?" says the second guy.

"D., eh?" says a third one. Then silence.

"Hey," says the Governor. "I like that. It's a helluva lot easier to pronounce when you spell it that way."

So that's how Canada got its name.
February 18th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladius
I'm not from Canada but...

The original name for Canada, dreamed up by a parliamentary committee in London, was "Cold North Dominion," but that waas too long, so they abbreviated it C.N.D. The King's Royal Governor presented the new name to the inhabitants, and they didn't say a word. Just looked at him.

"Well, what do you think?" asked the Royal Governor?

"C., eh?" said the first fellow, and just looked at the Governor.

"N., eh?" says the second guy.

"D., eh?" says a third one. Then silence.

"Hey," says the Governor. "I like that. It's a helluva lot easier to pronounce when you spell it that way."

So that's how Canada got its name.
Coooooool.
February 18th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
Aotearoa = land of the long white cloud

i think is much better than new zealand (Zealand being small island near denmark for some reason?)

Zealand is a region of the Netherlands.
February 19th, 2005  
Xion

gladius, this is what pimp_squeak said:

Quote:
Canada come from the native phrase "our land", Ka Na Ta
Ka Na Ta , is that the Red Indian language ?

Quote:

i think is much better than new zealand (Zealand being small island near denmark for some reason?)
Aotearoa is difficult to pronounce, New Zealand is better.Simply, Zealand would've sounded much cooler 8)
February 19th, 2005  
TBA_PAKI

The name of my country was devised by Indian students studying at Cambridge in 1932.

P stood for Punjab
A for the afghan areas of NWF
K for Kashmir
S for Sindh

And 'PAK' means 'PURE' in english!

So Muslim League pronounced the word PAKiStan meaning "Land of Pure"
February 19th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:

Aotearoa is difficult to pronounce, New Zealand is better.Simply, Zealand would've sounded much cooler 8)[/quote]

it's pronouced;

ow (as in "ow i hurt myself)
tear
row
ah

ow-tear-row-ah