How did Westerner look at Chinese in Korean War? - Page 2

--

December 15th, 2004  
03USMC

I talked to a Chosin Resevior Vet. He said the thing about the Chinese that amazed the U.S. Marines was that they kept coming. With or without weapons and over bodies.
December 15th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Well intrusion... take the "fanaticism" and "nuts!" comments and see that as a compliment. Their level of bravery left that big of an impression.
December 16th, 2004  
DarkSmari

we japanese are more brave, we defend till we die
--
December 16th, 2004  
Redneck

Smari, if there is no reason for making a post beyond patting your own back, do not make it.
February 19th, 2005  
Warwick

Topic: Views about Chinese in Korean War

I think the Australian infantry in the Korean war had a grudging respect for the hardiness (toughness) of the Chines soldier.
Especially the great gains they first made with the limited equipment they had compared to the allies.
Very good at inflitration tactics but yes they did resort to human wave attacks; Battle of Kapyong for example.
Many of the Australian troops in Korea were veterans of the WWII Pacific compaign so were veterans of Japanese tactics, slightly similar to what they faced with the Chinese.
February 20th, 2005  
MadeInChina

lol, from this whole thread i can feel the inaccuracy of the weeterns

apparently you guys pass onhistory that is apparenlty true to the eye and ears

bugles and such are used to make the enemy think there is plenty of them, plenty of chargers, plenty of artillery plenty of men

in factmost of i twas to distract the enemies with firecrackers and mortar rounds, the battle would be in terms of strategy, in whci encirclement or fnalking would be used.
February 20th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
lol, from this whole thread i can feel the inaccuracy of the weeterns

apparently you guys pass onhistory that is apparenlty true to the eye and ears

bugles and such are used to make the enemy think there is plenty of them, plenty of chargers, plenty of artillery plenty of men

in factmost of i twas to distract the enemies with firecrackers and mortar rounds, the battle would be in terms of strategy, in whci encirclement or fnalking would be used.
not quite AA, kiwi troops were in korea too, and there are transcripts in our war files about human wave attacks too.
February 20th, 2005  
Sexybeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
I think the pervasive view is... well there was a heck of a lot of them and yeah they were very brave. Not the best trained, equipped or anything... just sheer numbers.
A massive, gigantic human block that kept coming because there was almost no end of these guys.
only massive numbers won't be able to beat U.S back from Yalu to 38th....

the brilliant tactics of ambush and movement helps chinese to encircle U.S troops...

IF chinese got the equipments like Soviets,...americans encircleed by Chinese could not have escaped...they escaped with superior fire power
February 20th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I wasn't alive but a slogan from that time has stood the test of time to be brought to my ears, "The only good commie is a dead commie."

EDIT: Are we talking about how modern Americans view the Chinese forces in the 50s or how Americans in the 50s viewed their Chinese foe?
February 20th, 2005  
Sexybeast

the only good american is a dead american,

sounds famiilar too, not old either, heard often in arabian world, in china sometimes too