How to defeat a guerrila war

On the request of DTOp

The first is an observation, actually highly debated in private and public media. And it can be traced back to WW1, when the nationsof the world (business) decided to devided up the world.

The second statement, also discussed in public media, accured not long ago before we went to Irak, and a release of information will give you the details. (NPR, Meet the Press)

It seems that not many keep up with investigative resources. As I believed that many here would know this. I do alot of research and sometimes take for granted others also do.

I do apoligize since I always get Angola (Portugal) and Algiers (France) mixed up.

However some historical facts :

The Movie is called "The Battle for Algiers"
True-to-life chronicle of the Algerian people's struggle to overthrow the French Colonial Government in the mid-1950s. The focus is thrown on the leaders of the Liberation Movement and the French general who is driven obsessively with catching them. There is also a book.

When French forces captured the port in 1830, Algiers had less than 40,000 inhabitants. Algiers became headquarters for the Allied forces in North Africa in World War II, as well as for Charles de Gaulle's provisional French government. An anti-French uprising in the city in 1954 provided a major spark in the Algerian armed struggle for independence. In May, 1958, Algiers was the principal scene of a revolt by European colonists and the French army that ended the Fourth French Republic and returned de Gaulle to power. During the final months before Algeria won independence (1962), bombings by the French Organization of the Secret Army damaged industrial and communications facilities in Algiers. In 1973 a major conference of nonaligned nations was held there.

Also read the following :

PARIS 1919
by Margaret MacMillan

THE BATTLE OF THE CASBAH
by Paul Aussaresses General

11TH MONTH, 11TH DAY, 11TH HOUR
by Joseph E. Persico

I hope this helps, usually I get paid for this kind of docuementation...LOL

Guaripa said:
It seems that not many keep up with investigative resources. As I believed that many here would know this. I do alot of research and sometimes take for granted others also do.

Read the forum rules, regardless of what you think of the research abilities of the other members, it is your own responsibility to provide sources for your claims. As you "get paid" for this work normally, I am sure you are familiar with the citation of sources.

I think there is alot of solutions to find out about defeating a gerilla war thrue History. If you want to solve something like Iraq? Take a look at Adolf Hitler - and how he came to power. You can silence every opposition if you really want to, belive me, you can do it. It may not look so nice afterwards in the History books, but I ask myselfe one question? How did Saddam Hussein rule Iraq before this? Maby it was necessary in some parts of that country? What do I know? Only History will tell I think. :? :shock:

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

Sadam was put in by us , aka the UK. thats right good old britain done that!
You defeat a Guerilla by makeing them out to be the bad guys, use propaganda to its fullest. Use regular troops on patrol to make it look like you have won the war. Do unwanted acts of charity while increaseing security.

To rule the people must either love you, or fear you.

Doc.S said:
I think there is alot of solutions to find out about defeating a gerilla war thrue History. If you want to solve something like Iraq? Take a look at Adolf Hitler - and how he came to power. You can silence every opposition if you really want to, belive me, you can do it. It may not look so nice afterwards in the History books, but I ask myselfe one question? How did Saddam Hussein rule Iraq before this? Maby it was necessary in some parts of that country? What do I know? Only History will tell I think. :? :shock:

Cheers:
Doc.S

We, Turks struggled a huge of calamity for over ten years.Finally, first in the world We managed to defeat a guerilla war and annihilated most of them.The rest of Kurdish guerillas are thrown out from our land to the Northern Iraq.
This war can be succesful If it has been struggled of mortal for everywhere in the whole country.In that way We never allow to get life and no space to guerillas in anywhere of our country.

16.jpg

nisan5.jpg

cicek2.jpg

resim1.jpg

yes but this is a other type of geurilla war x-man, its a totaly different thing if you occupy a country

Doc.S said:
you want to solve something like Iraq? Take a look at Adolf Hitler - and how he came to power.
Cheers:
Doc.S

AH came to power legally, and was apointed legally by the then president as Chancellor. He understood that to reamain in the path he was he would never gain power.

See

Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich by William L. Shirer
The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard J. Evans
The Anatomy of Fascism By Robert O. Paxton

The biggest problem with confronting guerilla warfare is that you will virtually always come off looking like the bad guy. Combatting guerilla warfare requires striking at its source -- the very citizens of the nation. Nations like the United States are probably too ethical to be successful. Only killing or inprisoning insurgents makes martyrs out of them in virtually any society.

Consider the older historical methods used against guerilla warfare. If the problem is sufficient then every close friend or family member of an insurgent would be brutally executed. Captured insurgents would be tortured to death. In short -- there was plenty of reason to think twice about being involved in guerilla warfare because the consequences were so extreme. A lot more was on the line than your own life. The people of the nation might hate you for it, but governments like that seldom ever experienced guerilla uprisings. Those that did occur were wiped out very quickly. The USA has no stomach whatsoever for adopting such methods.

Alternately, you can do your utmost to ensure that everyone loves you. That's equally impossible. There will always be someone that hates you.

It depends on your purpose behinds defeating the guerrila war. If you just want to have a geological occupation, then ultra cruelty sure will work :( .
But if you try to win their heart, the the culture gap between the occupation force and the insurgent force already make it impossible.

anit guerilla warfare works:
Executive Solutions beat back the RUF's advance on freetown in Sierra Leone. they used strong military tactics, and used thier technology to thier advantage, they took the fight to the rebels and, in the end, sent them packing

Back