How to deal with Flaming/Spaming post! The only way...

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
A while ago I added a report post button to the forum:

But doesn't look like everyone have noticed that one (or ignores it)...

The ONLY way to deal with spamming/flaming posts (unless you are a moderator) is to click on the "Report Post" link located at the bottom of every post.

This will send a spam/flame report to the forum staff, and we will respond to it as soon as we are online.

Please do NOT reply to spamming/flaming posts, even if it's meant to help us, this will only lead to more work for us (and we do have enough to do already).

Please post any questions you may have to this here!

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
I think the reason why there are few reports (if that is the case, which it seems as) might be because our definision is different from person to person. And can there be too few reports? Isnt few reports good?

The last few days haven't been too bad, but the reason why I wrote this was that for a period I had to delete MANY flaming replies, so I got pretty fed up by that..

The best way to deal with flaming/spaming posts is to ignore and report them to us, and NOT reply to them!
That will only lead to more flaming, and more work for the forum staff.. :)

Several did also PM me spam/flame reports, since thay hadn't noticed the "report post" button.
I've made it a bit more visible now..

Redleg said:
The last few days haven't been too bad, but the reason why I wrote this was that for a period I had to delete MANY flaming replies, so I got pretty fed up by that..

The best way to deal with flaming/spaming posts is to ignore and report them to us, and NOT reply to them!
That will only lead to more flaming, and more work for the forum staff.. :)

Several did also PM me spam/flame reports, since thay hadn't noticed the "report post" button.
I've made it a bit more visible now..

Ah I see, I guess that it was very much needed then, I rest my case ;)

Hi,

Flaming is not always bad ...............Constructive Flaming Does more good than harm...............I have seen some wonderfun discussion Arise out of Constructive flamming :D :m1:

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

Flaming is not always bad ...............Constructive Flaming Does more good than harm...............I have seen some wonderfun discussion Arise out of Constructive flamming :D :m1:

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Here's the actual definition of flaming from Wikipedia:

Flaming is the performance of posting messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting in the social context of a discussion board (usually on the Internet). Such messages are called flames, and are often posted in response to flamebait.

Although face to face flaming is as old as time itself, flaming on the Internet started in the Usenet hierarchies. A flame may have elements of a normal message, but is distinguished by its intent. A flame is never intended to be constructive, to further clarify a discussion, or to persuade other people. The motive for flaming is never dialectic, but rather social or psychological. Flamers are attempting to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority. Occasionally, flamers merely wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they are trolls.

"A flame is never intended to be constructive" that's why they're not allowed in most forums.

In fairness I will include the definition of a troll:

An Internet troll is a person who sends duplicitous messages to get angry responses. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for suckers" and ultimately from trolling for fish. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

If you recognize your posts in either of these definitions, chances are you will receive negative attention from the mods here :)

Hi,

Yes True BUT there should be a Line between Flaming and Heated Debate .................and IMHO the Panic Button should not be Pushed too Soon .

By the Word Constructive flamming I ment Debate i know the Line between them is very thin ................But there is a Line............... they are not the Same.

My thought on the Matter

Peace
-=SF_13=-

I do agree with you, and we do allow heated debates to a certain extent in here as well (as you can see in many of the threads), but several of them had gone WAY over the line in the last couple of weeks, that's why I posted this sticky.. :)

i think we should have a debate thread put on, for debates on sensative issues, redleg has the honors of banning anyone that are racially bashing

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean??

We have a lot of debate threads in here already, and raciall bashing/flaming will most certainly lead to banning.

The "Hall of Shame" have now been opened at the bottom of the forum.

All permanently locked threads will from now on be moved down there, so you can go down there to read and learn what's not accepted behavior in here.

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

Yes True BUT there should be a Line between Flaming and Heated Debate .................and IMHO the Panic Button should not be Pushed too Soon .

By the Word Constructive flamming I ment Debate i know the Line between them is very thin ................But there is a Line............... they are not the Same.

My thought on the Matter

Peace
-=SF_13=-
I think the line is extremely obvious. If you get offended and start hurling insults, ethnic/national slurs or any nonsensical psychobabble in retaliation, you are now FLAMING. If somebody has dropped into such a mode, there is no longer any possibility of rational discussion because angry people are can't be reasoned with.

Now we have seen a number of instant reactions that make no sense at all. "Yeah, well Afganistanis are all sexists!" or somesuch nonsense, generally completely unrelated to the topic. Those are Spam in my eyes.

I'll post it here as well, just to make sure everyone sees it:

I would like all of you to pay very special attention to this new forum specific rule before you continue to post in this part of the forums:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97524#97524

I'm getting pretty tired of ruined serious threads now, and flaming/name calling/country bashing etc. in the military discussions will lead to an immediate temp ban, without any warning!

Please PM me or post here if you have any better/other suggestions or questions, I'm open to all suggestions that can make this a better (and more mature) forum for all of us.

Now please let's continue on topic in the remaining open threads.

Thanks for your understanding.. :)

Additional addendum to rule

You may be completely ignored when you report a post. This may be a factor of post count or time spent on the forum.

headspace said:
Additional addendum to rule

You may be completely ignored when you report a post. This may be a factor of post count or time spent on the forum.

That is not true at all. I may not be a administrator here but since I am on another site I know how things work around a forum. Be patient and give the some time to work on the problem if there now is a problem. They do everything that they can so we can enjoy this forum. So please, do not think that they do not care for trust me, they do. I know, I've been on this forum for a pretty long time.. 2 years to be exact. (Even though I had another account at first but forgot my password and had to make a new one.)

So completely ignored? No.
You have to be patient? Yes.

Rome wasn't built in one day and surely not MilForum either.

Back