How Close are we to a US Draft?

Whispering Death

With 65 year old retired army reservists being called in to fill the ranks and recruiting efforts hitting new lows, just how close are we to having a draft?

Do we millitarilly need a draft but the politicians arn't willing to do it?

Whispering Death said:
With 65 year old retired army reservists being called in to fill the ranks and recruiting efforts hitting new lows, just how close are we to having a draft?

Dear Member,

Where did you read that 65 year old reservists are being recalled to active duty. At 62 all military retires hip-pocket orders are void. Are you sure you are not reading about a 65 year old retired volunteering for some job in Iraq?

Jack E. Hammond

were not going to have a draft unless the war extends into another country. As long as we stay in Iraq, there wont be a draft.

I may not be an American, but I know that if the US gets the Draft, Australia won't be too far behind. At the moment there really is no need for it, And it's not the best thing to introduce if you want to win an election.

removed

mod edit: It is against the forum rules to post in any language other than english. Also, there is no independent advertising allowed on the forum

doubt it will happen..we wouldnt want to interupt some affluent american boys, college etc.. some of those boy's parents are probably friends of Presidnet Bush

i dont think there will be a US draft. i read somewhere that the armed forces are beginning to try new recruiting tactics and the numbers for the last few months were starting to look better. i tried to find the source but couldnt.

Not close enough in my opinion. Personally, I think all able bodied men should have to serve their country for 2-3 years. A lot of folks seem to take their freedom for granted.

uncle charlie said:
Not close enough in my opinion. Personally, I think all able bodied men should have to serve their country for 2-3 years. A lot of folks seem to take their freedom for granted.

Yeah, awsome plan. We'll have to feed, cloth, train, and shelter a multi-million man army and with our leftover money we might have just enough to put an M-16 on a donkey cart and call it our nation's only tank.

I dont know how many of you are still in high school, but at Alexander High in New York, there are Marine Corps recruiters in Dress Blues in our lunch room all the time , sometimes there will be a doggie with his fatigues on and every once in a while there will be some swabbie officer in dinner whites walking around handed junk out.

:rambo:

At my HS there is always Marine/Army recruiters on campus. Most people don't really care or don't like the military. Can't imagine why though.

Whispering Death said:

Where are you getting "65 year old reservists???

There are age limits for serving. For officers up to O-5, I believe (at least for my era) it is 28 years since commissioned or age 53. The is something similar for enlisted, but not being enlisted I will leave it to others.

I'll make this extra clear

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD

The issues in the time at which this thread was created (mid-June) are quite different than now (mid-October).

I would apreciate it if time-sensitive threads where not bumped 4 months after they where created.

Whispering Death said:
THIS IS AN OLD THREAD
The issues in the time at which this thread was created (mid-June) are quite different than now (mid-October).

What is so different? We, the US of A, are still in Iraq & Afganistan, recruiting is still falling short of goals. It seems to me that the case for the draft is getting closer to reality than you would like to admit.

Back