How Close are we to a US Draft?

[
Yeah, awsome plan. We'll have to feed, cloth, train, and shelter a multi-million man army and with our leftover money we might have just enough to put an M-16 on a donkey cart and call it our nation's only tank.[/quote]

Well, get rid of welfare, and all this money we're giving in aid to countries that can't fix their own problems, like most of africa, and it would'nt be a problem.

tomtom22 said:
What is so different? We, the US of A, are still in Iraq & Afganistan, recruiting is still falling short of goals. It seems to me that the case for the draft is getting closer to reality than you would like to admit.

In June attacks where up and we'd just recieved word that the Iraqi units where much less able than previously thought.

Now, we've seen multiple very successful operations in Iraq, one of which marked the first time there where more Iraqi troops in the operation than American troops!

We've just had the ellection that was marked as one of the most bloodless days in the last few months.

I think the situation has changed significantly in the last 4 months, that's my opinion. I don't think a draft is even within consideration now. My opinion on what should have happened in 2003? We needed about twice as many men.

I think the political reality of the situation is such that no draft will be called for by a president with a 39% approval rating. His party would run him through as it would guarantee a landslide for the opposition. If they are going to do it it will happen after the next big election barring a national emergency like opening another front in like say Korea or Iran or an insurgency on American soil.

^ Yeah, that's another one too. There wasn't a Katrina nor Rita back in mid-June and Bush was much more popular 4 months ago.

Amazing how the world can change in 4 months?

Whispering Death said:
^ Yeah, that's another one too. There wasn't a Katrina nor Rita back in mid-June and Bush was much more popular 4 months ago.

Amazing how the world can change in 4 months?

it is amazing how much it can change but i dont see why we would open another thread about present draft conditions. just consider it an update.

The way I see it,

In this day and age the only way a draft would occur is if our country REALLY needs to go that route, in which case you can sign me up!

EagleZtrike said:
naw we don't need a draft. I don't think a draft wil happen. If it does the citizens will be outraged.

The citizens will be outraged if we lose in Iraq. Our current forces cannot stand this level of attrition forever (some in the Pentagon say as early as mid-2006). At somepoint they are going to have to exit Iraq or the Government is going to have to get new troops (not recycled ones) from somewhere.

Basically its lose-lose for the White House.

The citizens will be outraged if we lose in Iraq. Our current forces cannot stand this level of attrition forever (some in the Pentagon say as early as mid-2006). At somepoint they are going to have to exit Iraq or the Government is going to have to get new troops (not recycled ones) from somewhere.

Basically its lose-lose for the White House.

yupp. It's a lose lose situation. wasted men and money.

A draft won't bring the country together either. Let people feel the pride in volunteering :)

There wont be a draft.

A concript (draft) army is run completely differently from an all volunteer army.

This crap about our military being "stretched thin" is also crap. We're not stretched thin until all units are forward deployed for the duration and there's no more rotations into and out of various AOs.

Re-enlistments are at an all time high. Some units are running at steady 40% + on re-enlistments.

The only reason there's been "shortfall" is because the US Army has increased its "end strenght" by 30, 000. The USMC has increased its end strength by only 2500 and is still meeting all recruiting goals.

The only real problem our military is facing atm is the natrual and predicted issues related to that bullcrap "peace dividend" that both parties in congress indulged in during the late 80s and all thru the 90s.

The draw down was too severe and too much was pushed into the Guard and Reserves because it's cheaper during times of peace to have part time rather than full time Soldiers.

and news flash. We're losing Soldiers now at approx the same rate we lost em during the '80s to accidents and sudden catastrophic health issues, not related to training or war.

Too much of our info stream is dominated by the idiocracy of the mouth breeding snot gobblers of the libernazi leftobots and the cult of cowardice in the Main Stream Media.

End strength refers to end of year for recruiting and retention the number of live bodies in uniform on active duty.

FULLMETALJACKET said:
same here future. I think the draft would only be reinstated if we did go to war with NK and China joined them.

I don't think there'd be a draft then. I think everybody would be dead.

Also, didn't the US and North Korea sign a treaty of US assistance if NK is attacked, while NK is renouncing nukes?

Whispering Death said:
With 65 year old retired army reservists being called in to fill the ranks and recruiting efforts hitting new lows, just how close are we to having a draft?

Do we millitarilly need a draft but the politicians arn't willing to do it?

If you have ever talked to a retiree/veteran you'll hear them call thier retierment check a "If we need you, we can call you" check.

Also if you look at the reenlistment rates, they are very high.

Also pointing out that there are only about 147,000 troops in Iraq with about 3.2 million troops together.

How many US troops are stationed abroad all together? How many of those are on combat/peacekeeping missions, rather than regular bases?

I think there's about 10,000 German troops on peacekeeping or naval security missions, and 200,000 alltogether. This status of deployment is already called "stretched".

The US military has been "stretched" since as long as I can remember and that's going back to President Johnson's military. We had the draft then and people still groused about not enough men in enough places. Then we went into the "Bolo Army" days and had one heck of a time converting from the draft era to the volunteer era. I don't want to EVER see that transition again, and seeing as every general and admiral serving today pretty much comes from my era, I seriously doubt you'll ever see a draft as long as they're wearing stars.

In short, we will always be stretched - that's the short definition of a democratic military. Only the dictatorships, the oligarchies, and such can have these large mass of troops per capita - usually at the loss of something else we'd never allow, like starving our own people like North Korea does.

Back