How close did the Germans come to nuking the US?

gibbs

Whilst watching some programme on TV i saw an advert come up saying something on the lines of "this programme takes a look at how close the Germans came to nuking the US and shows hitlers nuclear power".

Obviously this is 2nd world war. So..?

sigh..i read a book talking about Hitler's nukes, it is a pretty sad story for Hitler

he expeled Jews out of German while those Jews are among the top scientists in Germany and in the world,
these scientists helped U.S to get nukes we have to say
the top U.S nuke scientist Feimi comes from Germany right?
confirm?

then i got it wrong

but HItler did drive away some of best scientists in the world and it did harm his atomic bomb program

The German nuclear bomb program wasn't anywhere near being able to have a bomb. Not only had the best scientists been driven out but the U.S. bombing campaign destroyed their ability to enrich plutonium. The biggest disapointment of the war for the allies is that while Germany had advanced missile and jet propullsion research, the atomic bomb program had never left the ground.

Enrico Fermi was the first to split the atom. It was done in Chicago btw. I never once said he worked on the nuke. I was only pointing out to Sexybeast that he was Italian and not German as he was thinking.

he is an italian in fact sorry i got it wrong
thanks for ur correct

i also heard a rumor that Germans were not be able to get pure uranium cuz some groups of ppl disrupted the program

anyone knows some details about it?

Charge_7 said:
Enrico Fermi was the first to split the atom. It was done in Chicago btw. I never once said he worked on the nuke. I was only pointing out to Sexybeast that he was Italian and not German as he was thinking.

That's right, I remember reading about that now, didn't he also prove the chain reaction was possible if given enough mass?

ok is this right?

ok correct me if i am wrong but didn't a german invent the atomic bomb for the states?

Hitler was a looney..............think he took a hit in ww1 and never recovered or his STD took over lol

hi Anya1982,

ok correct me if i am wrong but didn't a german invent the atomic bomb for the states?

You are right in a way to say A german Developed the Bomb for America .............it was the legendary German-American physicist Albert Einstein's work that led to it's development.................it was his theory that led to it

he did not directly participate in the invention of the atomic bomb............ But he was instrumental in facilitating its development.

In 1905 as a part of his Theory of Relativity .......... he Found that a large amount of energy could be released from a small amount of matter. This was expressed by the equation E=mc2 ............ This was the Foundation of atomic bomb ...................Einstein's greatest role in the invention of the atomic bomb was signing a letter to President Franklin Roosevelt urging that the bomb be built...............Though Later he Regreted it ..............when he was near death he said "I made one great mistake in my life... when I signed the letter to President Roosevelt recommending that atom bombs be made; but there was some justification - the danger that the Germans would make them."

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Of Nuking the US?
Nowhere near.
A) Didn't have Bomb
B) Didn't have resources to produce said Bomb
C) Had only a very risky and argueably prototype method of getting it across to the US in the first place.

Of "Nuking" say Britain/Russia
Once again, very unlikely due to A and B.

First of all you would have to design/build a prototype and this would have to be tested. They would then need to build another bomb, all this would have taken months and by 1944-5 it was just impossible.
Even if they had, they would still have lost the war...

gibbs said:
Whilst watching some programme on TV i saw an advert come up saying something on the lines of "this programme takes a look at how close the Germans came to nuking the US and shows hitlers nuclear power".
Obviously this is 2nd world war. So..?
By 1943, thanks to the chief German nuclear scientist getting his maths wrong,(on how much nuclear material would be needed to make a bomb work) the Germans had stopped all serious work on building a nuclear device.
So to the answer to how close had Germany came to nuking the US, is......not very :roll:

8)

Now now, do not take away what the Nazi's had planned. Hitler believed the war would be over and thier would be no need for Germany to have such a weapon. So the project was cancelled. Also people within the german military disagreed so thier was fights that broke out between high officials over the bomb.

One of the most interesting parts about the German Bomb was that a Plan to attack NYC had possibly been planned with a curde stealth aircraft. it was to drop a bomb on NYC.

What did this plane look like.

....B-2 Bomber

Darcia said:
One of the most interesting parts about the German Bomb was that a Plan to attack NYC had possibly been planned with a curde stealth aircraft. it was to drop a bomb on NYC.
A total and utter fantasy, much beloved of authors who like to make a quick buck out of 'what ifs' of the Luftwaffe 46.
The 'crude stealth' bomber was nothing more than a doddle on a designers drawing pad, it wasn't Luftwaffe 46, more like Luftwaffe 56.
As for the atom bomb bit, thats just a post-war add on, to make the story more interesting
:roll:

Whispering Death said:
The German nuclear bomb program wasn't anywhere near being able to have a bomb. Not only had the best scientists been driven out but the U.S. bombing campaign destroyed their ability to enrich plutonium. The biggest disapointment of the war for the allies is that while Germany had advanced missile and jet propullsion research, the atomic bomb program had never left the ground.

Right. But if Hitler would have set other priorities for research, the a-bomb would anyway be developed much earlier. By the way : Several rumors are about a nuclear test in Germany.....in my opinion just rumors.

Anyway....the ability of German scientist should not be underestimated by the fact of allied victory.

T.G.I.

It is confirmed that the German Scientists did enter the phase right before nuclear testing. But, with the allied advance that hampered their progress and the capture of Penemunde, it was discotinued because of the war's end.

Here is a quick question, if they managed to get a Nuclear program would they use thier V-2's to deliever them?

Back