How close did the Germans come to nuking the US?

--

January 11th, 2005  
gibbs

Topic: How close did the Germans come to nuking the US?

Whilst watching some programme on TV i saw an advert come up saying something on the lines of "this programme takes a look at how close the Germans came to nuking the US and shows hitlers nuclear power".

Obviously this is 2nd world war. So..?
January 11th, 2005  
Sexybeast

sigh..i read a book talking about Hitler's nukes, it is a pretty sad story for Hitler

he expeled Jews out of German while those Jews are among the top scientists in Germany and in the world,
these scientists helped U.S to get nukes we have to say
the top U.S nuke scientist Feimi comes from Germany right?
confirm?
January 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

Enrico Fermi was most definitely Italian.
--
January 11th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Enrico Fermi was most definitely Italian.
He didn't work so much on the bomb but rather on a system to deliver the weapon to a target, I think.
January 11th, 2005  
Sexybeast

then i got it wrong

but HItler did drive away some of best scientists in the world and it did harm his atomic bomb program
January 11th, 2005  
USAFAUX2004

By mid-46 the germans could probably have a bomb ready to deliver
January 11th, 2005  
Whispering Death

The German nuclear bomb program wasn't anywhere near being able to have a bomb. Not only had the best scientists been driven out but the U.S. bombing campaign destroyed their ability to enrich plutonium. The biggest disapointment of the war for the allies is that while Germany had advanced missile and jet propullsion research, the atomic bomb program had never left the ground.
January 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

Enrico Fermi was the first to split the atom. It was done in Chicago btw. I never once said he worked on the nuke. I was only pointing out to Sexybeast that he was Italian and not German as he was thinking.
January 11th, 2005  
Sexybeast

he is an italian in fact sorry i got it wrong
thanks for ur correct

i also heard a rumor that Germans were not be able to get pure uranium cuz some groups of ppl disrupted the program

anyone knows some details about it?
January 11th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Enrico Fermi was the first to split the atom. It was done in Chicago btw. I never once said he worked on the nuke. I was only pointing out to Sexybeast that he was Italian and not German as he was thinking.
That's right, I remember reading about that now, didn't he also prove the chain reaction was possible if given enough mass?