How close did the Germans come to nuking the US?

?I'm sorry he ordered 4 scientist to do it using these plans
1- WERNER VON BRAUNS - Modified V2 to make the A4B

2 - HORTEN BROS - A FLYING WING Aircraft

3 - STANGER- AMERICA ROCKET BOMBER (High ALtitude suicide bomber)

doomshot said:
?I'm sorry he ordered 4 scientist to do it using these plans
Ho hum, here we go again :roll:
1- WERNER VON BRAUNS - Modified V2 to make the A4B
Oh yes the man who invented the least cost effective weapon of WW2, the V2. It cost Germany Billions of Marks and vast quantities of valuable resources and manpower, just to kill a few thousand Allied civilians and blow deep holes in the English countryside.
As for inventing a rocket that could cross the Atlantic, he didn't manage that until the late 50's even with the vast economic power of the US behind him
2 - HORTEN BROS - A FLYING WING Aircraft
The only one of his flying wing type designs to see service in WW2 was the Me 162, a aircraft that killed far more of its own pilots than Allied pilots.
3 - STANGER- AMERICA ROCKET BOMBER (High ALtitude suicide bomber)
Fortunately for the pilot who was supposed to fly this, it never got past the doddle on a notepad stage :roll:

Germany had the plans to build a bomber that could fly across the entire world and drop a 10,000 lbs. bomb on NYC and glide across the atlantic landing in Peenemunde again. Construction of this plane was about to begin when Hitler ordered the project to a stop. And the plans did exist, the B-2 Stealth Bomber was based on the plans Germany made in 1944.

When the B-2 was being designed a group of designers actualy went to some aircraft storage place and examined the german version to get a concept.

Damien435 said:
Germany had the plans to build a bomber that could fly across the entire world and drop a 10,000 lbs. bomb on NYC and glide across the atlantic landing in Peenemunde again. Construction of this plane was about to begin when Hitler ordered the project to a stop. And the plans did exist, the B-2 Stealth Bomber was based on the plans Germany made in 1944.
What was the name of this fantasy then :roll:

Darcia said:
When the B-2 was being designed a group of designers actualy went to some aircraft storage place and examined the german version to get a concept.
Can you please explain how they can examine something that was never built :? :roll:

If you find something that needs to be translated let me know. I could probably pull off having it translated.

Darcia said:
If you find something that needs to be translated let me know. I could probably pull off having it translated.

lol, I won't know if I need it translated till after it is translated, only then will I be able to read it and gauge it's importance, whether it was worth translating or not. I think an the reference I gave in english above is enough to prove the plans existed.

I live in Los Alamos, where the first Atomic Bomb was built. The bomb was made a reality dualy in part by Oppenheimer. The name says it all ladies and gents. American Patriotism, gotta love it!

Damien435 said:
I think an the reference I gave in english above is enough to prove the plans existed.
All you've proved is that a doddle existed, not detailed plans.
It would have taken years to make something as ambitious and advanced as that
Like I have said before, Luftwaffe 56 not 46 ;)

But I have found the aircraft the B-2 was really based on

http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/pictures/gallery/armstrong whitworth aw52g.jpg.html

Actually, joking aside, here is the aircraft the B-2 was most likely developed from
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/bombers/b3-66.htm

In the 40's and 50's everybody was playing with the flying wing concept , not just the Germans

correct me if i am wrong

I'm pretty sure hitler had no intention of bombing the good ole US of A.

Think he was a bit to busy trying to kick england's and europes arse, obv. failed at that.

Heisenberg's experiments into attempting an atom bomb were misguided in many respects, and outright wrong in others. Many scientists debate whether he did this on purpose, or if he really just was on the wrong track the whole way through.

D_Plus_One said:
Heisenberg's experiments into attempting an atom bomb were misguided in many respects, and outright wrong in others. Many scientists debate whether he did this on purpose, or if he really just was on the wrong track the whole way through.
The modern view is that he just got it wrong, and his claim that he did it on purpose was just a self serving lie.
The US intelligence service actually had the major german nuclear scientists together in 'safe custody' in a large house at the time of the dropping of the Atom bomb on Japan... and they were making secret tapes of their conversations.
Heisenberg's reaction to the news was one of total shock, and disbelief.

Yes, but when chemists get together to talk, a straight line isn't always followed. Also I think it is difficult for scientists to analyze in hindsight, knowing how it can actually be accomplished. When you know the path, its tough to see how someone could make a wrong turn.

How can we tell if Heisenberg was telling the truth or not in regards to the Atom bomb ?
In truth, we can't know for 100%, but all the evidence points to him being, if not a Nazi as such, a loyal German.
With the exception of his error in working out the amount of material needed to made a bomb, there is no evidence of him hindering the Nazi war effort in any other way, and he didn't claim he had hindered the Nazi atom bomb work until sometime after the US had dropped the bomb on Japan.

No, we can't tell for sure whether he was telling the truth or not. He may have said he deliberately erred to make himself look better, and I think the story probably picked up speed, rather than have him remembered as the man whose plan was to build an atom bomb for the Nazis.

Back