How close did the Germans come to nuking the US?

Germany came close to nuking the US. Three factors that prevented them were
(a) THe crash of Hindenburg destroyed the German Intelligence gathering abilities after a criminal that was selling America's Nuclear Secrets was killed on it when he was returning from Germany.
(b) THe two people who developed Ideas to nuke New York started building the devices too late in the war and also the two groups argued and sabotaged each other.
(c) We bombed the heck out of their main production facility for their most promising plan.

Thanks! Now I think the Germans might not have even been able to make them even earlier in the war because we have a tendency to bomb the heck out anything supicious.

doomshot said:
Thanks! Now I think the Germans might not have even been able to make them even earlier in the war because we have a tendency to bomb the heck out anything supicious.

if only they used mointains like the japanese!

Darcia said:
Here is a quick question, if they managed to get a Nuclear program would they use thier V-2's to deliever them?
Unlikely, the warhead on the V2 was too small, only about 2000Ib.
The lightest of the two bombs dropped on Japan (Little Boy)weighed nearly 9000Ib

but could of been ???

germany wasn't stupid they knew what they were doing.

You think all the way through ww2 germany and UK were doing the 1 up game with aircraft

Germany came up with the jet engine, i think the original design was englaish but germans beat us to it.............so amny aircraft were built and invented during ww2 and some went to wrok through to the 60's

So but i don't agree that germany would of targetted America to the simple fact you lot were too far away, nazi's wouldn't of got close to usa and if thye did they'd be taken down. America was kept safe due to this. And where was that idea that NYC was to be bombed??
well never heard that one before

USAFAUX2004, the V-3 was in existence. It was a super cannon that never got completed suficiently to fire before it was destroyed by Allied bombing around the time of D-Day.

The B-2 "Stealth" Bomber is based on German planes for a plane that was to take off from Peenemunde(sp?), travel EAST, get up into the upper atmostphere, travel across Russia, Japan, the Pacific and finally the US, drop a bomb on New York (UP to 10,000lbs.) and then it would run out of fuel and gradually descend until it would land again in Peenemunde. They had the plans, just not the bomb and Hitler pulled the plug on it.

Re: but could of been ???

Anya1982 said:
Germany came up with the jet engine,

correct me if im wrong, but their jet engines lasted about 10(?) minutes before it was useless and the pilot would have to eject, however, they would launch it when an enemy air craft was clse to the base and it would reek havoc on the Americans/British/whoever was attacking

Damien435 said:
The B-2 "Stealth" Bomber is based on German planes for a plane that was to take off from Peenemunde(sp?), travel EAST, get up into the upper atmostphere, travel across Russia, Japan, the Pacific and finally the US, drop a bomb on New York (UP to 10,000lbs.) and then it would run out of fuel and gradually descend until it would land again in Peenemunde. They had the plans, just not the bomb and Hitler pulled the plug on it.
Total and utter nonsense, with no basis in fact.:cen:
They'll be saying next that the F-15 is based on the Bf 109 :roll:

I wouldn't say 'based' however alot of the weapons we have now are similier in ways to the ones The germans hhad designed but couldn't build.

Darcia said:
I wouldn't say 'based' however alot of the weapons we have now are similier in ways to the ones The germans hhad designed but couldn't build.
You mean like the way the Wright Flyer and the F-15 are similar due to the fact they both have wings and an engine ;)

( don't you hate it when websites go down for a time) I was going to post a website that compared them but it is down for some reason.

However not like that. More of a concept of what the Germans wanted back then and what we have now.

And where was that idea that NYC was to be bombed??
Hitler ordered two scientists to create a vehicle capable of bombing NYC and Washington.

doomshot said:
And where was that idea that NYC was to be bombed??
Hitler ordered two scientists to create a vehicle capable of bombing NYC and Washington.
A whole Two scientists :shock: :roll:

Stop it please, I keep falling off my chair in laughter at this nonsense :lol:

Back