How to break in combat boots?

chronoserpent

Do you guys have any tips on breaking in a pair of combat boots? I have some NROTC military training coming up in the summer and want to make sure my boots don't kill my feet when I need them most!

Wear them. Is it that hard?

Oooh you know those high tech boots they make these days... You may have to program them first or at least make sure they speak the same language.

CS, Just playin with you. Just put some mileage on those soles before going out. Go hiking and such. There is no magic break in method.

However, during long movements in summer camp (woohoo!) make sure you bring socks to change into and, if possible, foot powder. This is mainly to reduce moisture. I am sure you and your feet will make it through just fine.

Do you guys have any tips on breaking in a pair of combat boots? I have some NROTC military training coming up in the summer and want to make sure my boots don't kill my feet when I need them most!

Your unit doesn't issue them early in the year? We do boots-and-utes training once a week to make sure the boots are wearable for Marine week and OCS.

The only way to break in your boots is to run/walk in them. Since you're not at NAVSTA Norfolk with us now, I assume you're going to San Diego, so you've still got a quite a bit of time. A run or long hike in them once or twice a week should be fine.

In my world it's two different ways of breaking in the boots.
If you can rely on getting spares whenever the old ones give in you cab do it the easy way, but if you depend on the boots to carry you back to a place where you can get new ones you have to do it the hard way.

The easy way, when it comes to the types I'm used to, is to apply generous amounts of vaseline oil, really soak them, and walk them in.

The hard way is to soak them in water, walk them in untill they reach a dry state and fits your feets, then you apply mink oil or any kind of fat/lubricant according to regulations in such amounts that it actually soaks through to the other side.

In my world the boots are just perfect when your socks turn black.
We use grey wollen socks over here. :)

Walking in them usually does the trick. Just do it long enough so that the boots feel comfortable on you. But remember, it's not just the boots that are getting used to your feet but your feet are also getting used to your boots. Make sure that you start wearing your boots anywhere between a few days and a week before you really have to wear them again.
As for the oil it's great but I didn't want that stuff to inadvertently waterproof my boots. We did a lot of stuff by the sea and coastline so our boots would get wet no matter what happened so it was better that they were oil free so they'd drain and dry faster. I wouldn't know if it actually would waterproof the boots because I never really tried it.
Just my two cents.

i wore my boots in by walking everywhere in them... i wore them to school, out in the street, everywhere. gave me a sense of pride and strength as well, knowing that my boots where always there.

put the boots on and soak them in hot/warm water and walk them dry. do this a few times and you are good to go.

The hard way is to soak them in water, walk them in untill they reach a dry state and fits your feets, then you apply mink oil or any kind of fat/lubricant according to regulations in such amounts that it actually soaks through to the other side.
I've done that a couple of times as well, it's a good method if you need to break them in fast, but the "good old fashioned" way of just walking enough in them is still the best.. :smil:

Put them under running water, get them wet, soaked, apply shaving cream and scrub, obviously out of the water now, then after scrubbing for awhile, at least 10 minutes, non stop, let dry and wear. Although, may wanna shine first, after dried.

Put them under running water, get them wet, soaked, apply shaving cream and scrub, obviously out of the water now, then after scrubbing for awhile, at least 10 minutes, non stop, let dry and wear. Although, may wanna shine first, after dried.

Hehe. Its the new Army now... we use a suede like material for our boots. No more shining...

Ah, I thought it said combat boot. I assumed it was the old black leather boot. The newer cloth type tan ones, I don't know, probably just wearing like any other boot but if your going to be a marine, they will show you short cuts to make your boots more serviceable to you faster.

By the time I got out of Basic, they were well broken in. We had the old high top, cap toe and heel and nothing between your foot and the ground except your socks and leather. Blisters were a given and you put a band-aid on them, took an APC and marched along with the platoon. Soon, the blistered area became calloused.

Uh oh, someones going to claim next that they humped barefoot in the snow twenty miles with a 600 lb pack. Boy, the old days were tough.

I learned from wearing my uncle's boots, you get blisters on you're heels. A LOT. especially if you don't keep the laces tight, then your heel rubs against the back of the boot.

I blistered mostly just behind the ball of my feet. I guess everyone's slightly different. Some ways you can reduce blistering...
You can cover the area you are blister prone with thick tape.
Use a thread and needle to pop any blisters. Leave the thread hanging from your blister to ensure good drainage.
Never cut away the skin on the blister.

Back