How bout some bayonets!!

Thanks Kamikazi....They are pretty rare but still able to find them . I actually found this with a metal detector near my house. It has been cleaned and treated in tung oil and preserved by a professional machinist.
Michael Marietta GA
KAMIKAZI said:
Youve got some cool stuff there dude! The civil war bayonet must be rare in that condition.

Romero...see if you can get a pic up...I would really like to see that. Whats the lettering in French?? I could ID it for ya..
Michael Marietta GA
Romero said:
My old man has an engraved 1860s French bayonet. Don't know what it says mind you.

I had a huge collection of bayonets which I eventually sold. In it was a new condition German bayonet called an Engineer's bayonet with a sawtooth along the back of the blade. I had heard that the Germans were warned by the allies that anyone caught with one on their rifle would be executed on the spot because it made such terrible wounds and was against the Geneva Convention.

There must have been something to it because I also had an exact same bayonet with the saw ground off. Anyone know anything about this.

Missileer: The saw-toothed bayonet was introduced in WW1 by Germany. It was intended to be used as a legitimate saw by engineer and construction troops in the field. However, the Allies had a propaganda field day, claiming that the saw-toothed bayonet was just another example of German "ruthlessness" and "savagery". I'm not sure about orders to shoot-on-site any prisoner caught with one of these, but wouldn't be surprised to find out it happened.

~Regards

Schwul: Where did you obtain the Japanese bayonet? I am looking for a bayonet to go with my Arisaka Type 99.

Mike said:
Missileer: The saw-toothed bayonet was introduced in WW1 by Germany. It was intended to be used as a legitimate saw by engineer and construction troops in the field. However, the Allies had a propaganda field day, claiming that the saw-toothed bayonet was just another example of German "ruthlessness" and "savagery". I'm not sure about orders to shoot-on-site any prisoner caught with one of these, but wouldn't be surprised to find out it happened.

~Regards

Thanks, I didn't see much difference in being stabbed with a saw or a knife myself.

Mike said:
Schwul: Where did you obtain the Japanese bayonet? I am looking for a bayonet to go with my Arisaka Type 99.
I know this was not asked of me but I picked up some of my bayonets from gun shows in Dallas and other cities close. I found a French Epee' in a pawn shop for $9.00, and before they became collector's items, I would buy bayonets from the Army Surplus stores. I usually paid about 2 to 5 dollars each. I bought a Japanese serpentine bayonet for about $5.00. Then the "market" hit the ceiling I sold two suitcases of bayonets and one German officer's dress dagger with original blade finish for a little over $2,000.00 and wish every day that I had not done so.

Back