House Votes to Let Allies Buy Top U.S. Fighter - Page 3

--

July 15th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRALdragon
There's a difference between business competition and true enemies... Either way, I don't see any good reason to sell it to Singapore. A few pieces of artillery and assault weapons, fine. F-22s, no way.
Why, are you scared Singapore might invade your country?
July 15th, 2006  
WarMachine

I was just joking about the business rivals, if you could justify selling raptors for that reason then GM and Toyota would have their own squadrons.

I'm telling you it's just going to be japan, no one else needs them. It's the aeronautical equivalent of an attack submarine.
July 17th, 2006  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
We woudlnt sell them to S.Korea (too high of a chance defection) and canada couldnt afford them. Japan might want some but I'm worried one of there pilots might want to hop across the pond into China.
I think perhaps a little history lesson is in order. Start at a little thing called WWII and work your way back.
--
July 17th, 2006  
Rabs

Quote:
I think perhaps a little history lesson is in order. Start at a little thing called WWII and work your way back.
I know my history, and i know the racial tension between those two countrys. I also know how much money china would dangle in someones face to get that aircraft as well. I just dont like planes being that close to China period.
July 17th, 2006  
HangPC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
Why, are you scared Singapore might invade your country?
Little Israel In South East Asia
July 17th, 2006  
sandy

History repeats itself.
I feel so,and China would go with their instinct called Sinocentrism?
July 18th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangPC2
Little Israel In South East Asia
How so?
July 18th, 2006  
HangPC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohmar Deathstrike
How so?

Bilateral Relations:

Israel – Singapore

The relations between Singapore and Israel are rooted upon shared values and perceptions. The right of existence of small countries has always been mutually perceived as of vital importance, thus contributing to the formalization of the bilateral ties. And indeed, Israel has held a representation in Singapore since its earliest days, taking formal shape in 1968.

Other shared understandings include the comprehension of the necessity to develop wide international trade relations, in order to overcome geographical limitations. This shared view led to a significant growth in mutual cooperation. Singapore is a hub for Israeli business and regional trade, while a growing number of members of both business communities seek opportunities for joint operations in biotechnology, IT and software industries, where both countries relative advantages are most valuable.

Several bilateral agreements provide a solid framework for substantiating cooperation in areas such as healthcare, investments and technological research & development, highlighting the Governments’ efforts to further deepen ties to the benefit of both peoples. Most recently, in 1997, a bi-national fund for financing new technological products was set up - a significant step aimed at promoting the cooperation to new levels of achievement.

Cultural exchange has been accentuated by encouraging the participation of Israeli artists in international events in Singapore, cultivating a broad interest in Israeli performing arts in areas such as dance and music. The yearly Film Festival has grown to become a cornerstone in the structured framework of activities.

Israel cherishes the long-standing friendship with Singapore as a symbol for global solidarity and support for human prosperity and world peace.

http://singapore.mfa.gov.il/mfm/web/...&documentid=-1
July 18th, 2006  
Mohmar Deathstrike

Interesting read. Reminds me of the Graeco-Bolivian alliance mentioned in a parody of a political thriller in a Simpsons ep.
July 18th, 2006  
WarMachine

As i recall, malaysia used to be one with singapore and they didn't get along and they divorced. Singapore just has an excellent business location at the malacca straits (i think). A choke point for anything coming from the west or east and that means trade. Plus their police will kill you for chewing gum which raises spartan-like businessmen. Got to hand it to them.

But singapore didn't have that mess that palestine/israel went through, so they're very legitimized. Where's the vatican or andorra in this one, they would fit into an iternational microstate alliance just fine.