House Honors NY's 'Fighting 69th' Regiment

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Long Island Newsday
March 14, 2008
Pg. 7
By Joie Tyrrell
The U.S. House of Representatives honored the New York-based regiment the "Fighting 69th" yesterday as more than 100 of its members prepare to deploy to Afghanistan later this month.
"The Fighting 69th has never been short on valor, a tradition that will continue as the unit prepares to deploy to Afghanistan to defend our country on the front lines of our fight against terror," said Rep. Steve Israel (D-Huntington), sponsor of the House resolution that passed unanimously yesterday recognizing the regiment's contributions.
The Fighting 69th is best known as one of the first Army units to assist in the recovery effort after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and for participating in the "Task Force Wolfhound" operation in Iraq. Nineteen members of the unit were killed in action in Iraq three years ago and more than 78 were wounded.
The New York Army National Guard's 69th Infantry Regiment, whose history dates to 1851, is composed of citizen-soldiers from Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island, and Long Island. In January, unit members left for two months of training at Fort Bragg, N.C. About 130 members will go to Afghanistan for a year to help train Afghan soldiers and police officers.
Sgt. Theodore Gentile, 26, of Deer Park, is among those going. He and his wife, Tiffany, have a baby boy, Teddy, who turns 5 months old later this month.
"They are sacrificing their lives to keep us free," said Gentile's aunt, Frances Harwood, of Seaford. "I don't want to see them go, but the fact they are willing to do it and stand up for our freedom, I am very proud."
In total, the Fighting 69th will have served in five wars: the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Operation Iraqi Freedom and soon Operation Enduring Freedom. Six of its soldiers have earned the Medal of Honor.
Israel's legislation recognizes the Fighting 69th as one of the great regiments in American military history.
"Most of my colleagues in Congress, when they think of who's doing the fighting in Afghanistan, they assume it's people from ... places with huge military infrastructure," Israel said. "This is my way of reminding Congress that there are lots of Long Islanders doing the fighting."
And for that, Gentile's wife is thankful.
"I think it's something truly amazing to honor past, present and future members [of the 69th]," Tiffany Gentile said. "They are finally getting recognition. ... I am happy it is being done now."

Back