House Hearing On 'warming Of The Planet' Canceled After Ice Storm

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

HEARING NOTICE
Tue Feb 13 2007 19:31:25 ET

The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled “Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?”

The hearing will be rescheduled to a date and time to be announced later.

DC WEATHER REPORT:

Wednesday: Freezing rain in the morning. Total ice accumulation between one half to three quarters of an inch. Brisk with highs in the mid 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph...increasing to northwest 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 18. Northwest winds around 20 mph.

And I fully expect Big Oil, their cohorts in Washington (like Sen James Imhofe), and other proponents of the-world-is-flat club to be out their still denying what is plainly evident. Its just like big tobacco in the 1980-1990s when they went about trying to stop the information that smoking is addictive (and that cigarettes are engineered to be addictive) and that smoking causes cancer.

HEARING NOTICE
Tue Feb 13 2007 19:31:25 ET

The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled “Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?”

The hearing will be rescheduled to a date and time to be announced later.

DC WEATHER REPORT:

Wednesday: Freezing rain in the morning. Total ice accumulation between one half to three quarters of an inch. Brisk with highs in the mid 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph...increasing to northwest 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 18. Northwest winds around 20 mph.
Am I the only one that found this completely ironic?! :lol::lol::lol:

I left Washington DC yesterday night (Tuesday 2-13-07). All flight out of Reagan National were cancelled. I was flying back to Fort Lauderdale. Flights were cancelled to Fort Lauderdale!!!!!!! I was able to get on a flight to Fort Myers. It's two and a half hours north west of where I live but I wanted to leave that forzen winter wonder land. Hell, the places up north are under something like 10 feet of snow. Global Warming my ass.

Global Warming is real but it's not man made. Nature works like a roller coster. There are ups and downs. 200 years ago was a minor ice age. Right now we are in the warming stages. The sun in pumping out more solar radiation. And lastly, when a Volcano eurpts. It pumps out for CO2 than what the entire human population has produced since we started making fire.

It all seems perfectly logical to me.... These are warm snowstorms, go onnnn, run outside in your swimmers, see if I'm not right. Soon some men will come along with a nice white coat that buckles up at the back to stop you getting overheated. They are nice men.

Proof seems to be subjective.... and on this issue seems to be drawn down Party lines.

What I find funny is that belief in an invisible man in the sky, an invisible man who made the Heaven and Earth, and all the Animals, People, Plants, Rocks, Water.... made everything, well that is viewed as fact by some, and in some places in the US even tried to be viewed as science, even though some places have backtracked(http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2013263,00.html)
..... well after all that, some of the people who view Religious Faith as Scientific Fact, well, some of those very same people may view man-made Global Warming as myth, and call those who do believe Global Warming as real and a man-made event stupid for their beliefs, but at the same time I believe some of those very same people would attack anyone saying their Religious Belief in an invisible man in the sky was myth.... and point to their Bible or other Religious book as proof in their belief, all the proof they need.

Am I the only one that found this completely ironic?! :lol::lol::lol:

No you're not the only one Lt. I found it ironic and humourous too.

I think that's how the Invisble Man in the Sky expresses His humour at times that kind of teaches us how foolish it is to think we can contol the universe. Meanwhile Greenpeace chases its targets, on land and sea, in their fossil fuel polluting cars, trucks and ships.

Proof seems to be subjective.... and on this issue seems to be drawn down Party lines.

What I find funny is that belief in an invisible man in the sky, an invisible man who made the Heaven and Earth, and all the Animals, People, Plants, Rocks, Water.... made everything, well that is viewed as fact by some, and in some places in the US even tried to be viewed as science, even though some places have backtracked(http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2013263,00.html)

You know what the amazing thing is, there is no more proof for macro evolution than there is for creation, yet somehow evolution has become accepted as a fact and creation is merely a myth. Funny how that works.

Damien that may be because there are visible and proven examples of evolutionary change every where one looks. Whereas miracles and such things as the probability of all species evolving from those on the Ark are somewhat less convincing.

This of course is only the tip of the iceberg, but basically that is the sort of reason why some people choose to believe in things like evolution. Some persons take a practical view, others are theorists.

Fortunately we both live in free countries (relatively speaking) and where one is free to choose as they wish. If a man feels that he needs a crutch to get through life there is no valid reason why he should not be allowed to have it.

I really think that debates such as this are best left alone as they are extremely divisive and achieve nothing.

Last edited:
You know what the amazing thing is, there is no more proof for macro evolution than there is for creation, yet somehow evolution has become accepted as a fact and creation is merely a myth. Funny how that works.

Agreed, but many times, or most times, as I do not know all the Religions out there, but Religion is for the most part in the realm of the supernatural, and yet with some followers all the proof that is needed for those who follow a faith is in a religious book, written long ago.

I believe science is best taught in School, and Religion is best taught in Church, and at home, unless of course one goes to Religious School.

I believe Humans adversely affect the Earth, but, there is no where else to go. I believe that with more and more people, as there are many people living on Earth, this all gets worse, as we have not been very clean about things or forward thinking.... thinking of course that the Earth is very large and will always be able to fix itself.

I also believe that, or so I've been told, and believe that a long time ago there were massive numbers of volcanoes erupting all the time, and the Earth seemed to bounce back just fine.

I just find it a bit strange that some may want rock solid proof about one thing, but then not want the same threshold for another thing, and maybe even get upset when myth or theory are words to describe what they view as fact, while they may use the same words to describe what others view as fact.

Why are the two areas mutually exclusive?

Creationism as I read it is a grand scale process to describe the development and population of earth as a whole I don't see any reason why evolution could not fit into this process.

I think there is enough evidence to prove evolution happens but that does not necessarily disprove creationism.

Of course purists on both sides may well be able to convince me otherwise.

I don't totally believe either side, to me what the whole argument comes down to is the priest says X is the answer and the scientist said Y is the answer, both are claiming their answer comes from a higher power (whether it be God or Phyics) and neither one of them can really PROVE their theories because it all happened either thousands or billions of years before we started writing.

We probably better get back to topic...

3/4" of rain? Pussies, we had a foot of snow and still had to go to school, granted that was partly because the state basketball tournament was in town and if school had been cancelled the tournament would have to be cancelled too, but that's just a detail, I fail to see how a basketball game is more important than running the country, but that's just me.

Damien, only last night there was a show on local TV about a group of researchers looking at weather patterns over the past 10,000 years here in South Australia all deduced from mud layering in the bottom of volcanic lakes. They seemed to think that by past standards our present weather fluctuations are only part of a long term cyclic trend, and that if their conclusions are correct it will get worse before it gets better as we appear to be in about the 1000th year of a 1400 year cycle.

There was no visible evidence of changes due to other influences, which I must admit surprised me greatly. Although I am not totally convinced of global Warming being caused by man's actions, I do believe that all of the crap that we pump into the atmosphere must have some effect on our health and general well being, and that we should be doing something to rectify it.

I just did a paper on this. I will spare you the specifics but it is said that there was more carbon monixide in our atmoshpere during the last ice age...

Big Z, I don't know a great deal about it all, as there are nearly as many theories as there are researchers (well...nearly :-D) But it is certainly interesting to read and see some of the work that is being done and what is being deduced as a result of this work.

Back