House Bill for 9/11 First Responders' Health Care Defeated

I've officially lost all faith in our government. Not just in Republicans/conservatives, but in the governmental body as a whole. At least the Supreme Court hasn't let me down in a while. . .

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/w...e-up---9-11-responders-bill?xrs=synd_facebook

I have two points I'd like to make specifically. The first is that anyone who voted no on this bill, regardless of what kind of tax increase was stapled to it, ought to be thrown into the scenario of 9/11 so they can personally experience what these men and women experienced. The second is that it is a damned shame that Democrats had to use that particular 2/3 majority procedure to get the bill passed because they KNEW Republicans would try and screw with it, alter it, or kill it completely.

Asking for a clean bill w/o add ons is asking too much? People take a good bill & tack on crap that probably wouldn't pass on its own & then bash Dems/Reps for not supporting the cause that the original bill was, or smugly knowing they've added on a Turkey that got coattailed into passing. Both sides do it & the Govt is probably too bloated to handle single issue Bills.

You're right, George. How dare the government propose a tax increase to PAY FOR THE HEALTH CARE COVERAGE THEY'RE OFFERING! It's outrageous! It's insanity! Everyone knows the government can just pass bills without worrying about payment. Hell, look at the Bush Tax Cuts!

George, the add on of this bill was not swearing undying allegiance to Obama as supreme leader of the free world. It was not promising to give up one's first born child to enlist in the Obama Gestapo. It was a tax increase, proposed to cover the cost of paying for our nation's most deserving folks health care. Brought up by directly related illnesses to the effects of 9/11 on them.

It was a tax increase, proposed to cover the cost of paying for our nation's most deserving folks health care. Brought up by directly related illnesses to the effects of 9/11 on them.

Exactly. And there was no reason....NO REASON....for this to be shot down. Anyone who is so selfish as to not want to pay a little bit extra on their taxes in order to help provide care for our heroes (be they First Responders or Veterans), needs to take a really long look at themselves and remember who helps provide them with their beloved freedom and safety. Sure, the bill probably had its flaws.....most do....but these are our HEROES we're talking about. They survived the most horrendous attack on American soil, and risked their lives to rescue survivors and recover victims. They deserve this and so much more. It irks me to no end that our heroes have to suffer because Congress is full of idiots who can see past the end of their own noses.

You're right, George. How dare the government propose a tax increase to PAY FOR THE HEALTH CARE COVERAGE THEY'RE OFFERING! It's outrageous! It's insanity! Everyone knows the government can just pass bills without worrying about payment. Hell, look at the Bush Tax Cuts!

George, the add on of this bill was not swearing undying allegiance to Obama as supreme leader of the free world. It was not promising to give up one's first born child to enlist in the Obama Gestapo. It was a tax increase, proposed to cover the cost of paying for our nation's most deserving folks health care. Brought up by directly related illnesses to the effects of 9/11 on them.

Thats entirely the problem. We have become an extremely selfish society. We only care about ourselves and the people that have MORE than we do.

There are a group of people who simply think it is simply a anathema to be paying for someone else NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Wounded in a war? (response: VA cuts), you become ill because you dared help people in distress? (response: your problem, not mine). Too poor to afford care? (response: your lazy!)

Funny enough, these same people have absolutely no problem taking FROM the coffer when its offered to them, but paying back into it...forget it!

Back