Horna upsets Nalbandian at Copa Telmex

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
BILL CORMIER

Associated Press

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Unseeded Peruvian Luis Horna ousted Brazil Open winner Guillermo Canas from the Copa Telmex, advancing to the quarterfinals of the clay-court tournament with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 victory Thursday.
"I feel very comfortable. But it was a very hard and difficult match," Horna said as thousands cheered his hard-serving victory at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club.
The crowd also applauded Canas as he left center court declaring, "I did all I could to win, but Luis played a great match." The Argentine star recently returned to the ATP circuit after a 15-month doping suspension.
Horna, who beat top-seeded David Nalbandian earlier in the round robin, was set to face the winner of the late match Thursday between fifth-seeded Spaniard Carlos Moya and Argentina's Juan Monaco.
Earlier Thursday, former No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero defeated Czech replacement Lukas Dlouhy 6-3, 6-3 and still failed to reach the quarterfinals.
Ferrero was second in his round-robin group to Nicolas Devilder of France, who beat the Spaniard on Wednesday and advanced to his first ATP quarterfinals against Diego Hartfield of Argentina. Devilder had lost to Nicolas Lapentti of Ecuador, who withdrew because of an injury and was replaced by Dlouhy.
Also, 2005 champion Gaston Gaudio withdrew from his hometown event, citing muscle fatigue. That sent Alessio Di Mauro of Italy to the final eight.

Back