Hope this is new (The Draft) - Page 3




 
--
 
July 5th, 2005  
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
You cannot force somebody to do something.
If you look at it closely, real closely, you will see that Compulsary National Service is un-democratic.
Firstly, ovcourse you can force people to do things. People pay taxes. People obey the law. They do all that for 2 reasons:
1)They know that as part of a democratic country, the citizen has to pitch in and assist the rest of society.
2) If they don't they go to jail.

Conscription is not somthing politicians do for fun. It is an invaluable way of protecting a country. It is no diffrence than paying taxes, and to be honest usually much better for you. You cant expect to enjoy democracy and than when it needs people to defend it just walk away.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"
John Stewart Mill
July 5th, 2005  
greenarmy1980
 
 
Sherman, being from Israel, you know the meaning of conscription and everything that duty to your country means. I am sure the motivation of protecting your homeland is much more realized then what I have for mine.
July 5th, 2005  
SHERMAN
 
 
Lets just say that in about 22 months i will be the third generation of officers in the IDF in my family. I volunteered to do 4 years instead of 3....So yeah, Im no stranger to conscription.
--
July 6th, 2005  
greenarmy1980
 
 
Good luck Sherman

I hope that you do not become a part of some nunder-heads plot to carry a bomb strapped across the chest. Ya know, them are jerks cause they do not care about no one except themselves.
July 6th, 2005  
FO Seaman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bory
You cannot force somebody to do something.
If you look at it closely, real closely, you will see that Compulsary National Service is un-democratic.

You are saying to somebody, you haven't done anything wrong, you are a tax paying, voting, fit, citizen, and b/c some politicans don't feel safe with a small military, we are taking you away from your professional career and forcing you to serve out a period of time in the military.

Everyone here fails to realise or mention anyway, that alot of people who would be made eligable for the draft, will be already employed.
How many people would have worked so hard earning a degree at uni for example, finally finding a well paying job that accepts their qualifications, and then one day they get a letter in the mail saying,
"You have been randomly selected by lottery, to serve a 2 year contract with in the army. Failure to report to the army recruitment center will result in arrest and imprisonment."

That is the gist of the letter my dad got in 1971. He was an apprentice electrican at the time. He just got the job with Telecom, and was now being told he may have to go to a war, that he did not beleive was just.
Fortunatly for dad, National Service was cancelled before he had to report.

The odd thing is, he is one person who agrees with Compulsary National Service, and so are a group of his friends. I find that most people who do, have actually never served in the military.
Its happened once and can happen again.
July 6th, 2005  
SHERMAN
 
 
Quote:
I hope that you do not become a part of some nunder-heads plot to carry a bomb strapped across the chest. Ya know, them are jerks cause they do not care about no one except themselves.
I'm joining the IDF, not the Hammas... You knw...modern army...Tanks, planes, stuff like that....
July 13th, 2005  
greenarmy1980
 
 
Watch out for the Donkey cart IED. Those will get ya everytime.


Of course I knew you were going to IDF I was advising you on the guys that do not care about themselves and are willing to blow up a security check point with 80 lbs of explosives strapped to their chests.
July 13th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
If I'm not mistaken the Sencond Amendment is Right to Bear Arms. And if the Government where try to impose Selective Service onto our country again there is a goo chance the Amendment would be put to use.Just as if the Government tryed to impose some other law onto people.
The right to bear amrs has more to do with civilians owning weapons rather than the Government pressing citizens into service. As things heated up before the Declaration of Independence, the British would raid homes and take any weapon they found. In some instances, the British shot anyone with a weapon. Back during those times, people relied on a rifle to hunt for food. Thus the Founding Fathers made sure they kept their guns at home and not in the hands of the government. BUT I am sure the Supreme Court has twisted that amendment all to hell like a few others. I really do not see a connnection to the 2nd Amendment and the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
Its happened once and can happen again.
actually it has happened 2 times. I believe you have forgotten the draft during the Civil War. The movie Gangs of New York show the anti draft riots in New York.
July 13th, 2005  
RnderSafe
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
The right to bear amrs has more to do with civilians owning weapons rather than the Government pressing citizens into service. As things heated up before the Declaration of Independence, the British would raid homes and take any weapon they found. In some instances, the British shot anyone with a weapon. Back during those times, people relied on a rifle to hunt for food. Thus the Founding Fathers made sure they kept their guns at home and not in the hands of the government. BUT I am sure the Supreme Court has twisted that amendment all to h**l like a few others. I really do not see a connnection to the 2nd Amendment and the draft.
There isn't really a connection with the 2d Amendment and the draft. The closest you could come would perhaps be the 13th Amendment - but even that is reaching.

Quote:
A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I don't think the 2d Amendment was implemented on the sole reason people could lose their guns to the government for hunting, security of the state and their rights is a big part of it. Most of the quotes from the Father's concerning the 2d amendment indicate this, anyway.

Quote:
actually it has happened 2 times. I believe you have forgotten the draft during the Civil War. The movie Gangs of New York show the anti draft riots in New York.
Three times; the Civil War, WWI and WWII (it wasn't repealed until 1973)
July 28th, 2005  
LeatherNeckRVA
 
Did they draft for korea? I know they drafted for vietnam was that just extended from the ww2 vote to draft?