HOORAH CAP cadets

In reference to the "Hooah" thing... the actual slogan is "Airpower", said two ways:

1. Just shouting "AIRPOWER!"

2. Sing song... "AIIIIIIIR(strong)-poww-ER"

... but we say "Hoorah!" a lot around my parts, but that's just an ROTC (senior, not junior) cadet and training enviroment.

What, the "Airpower" thing? No, that's an AFROTC thing, and I've done it for a few years now as an AFROTC cadet. The "Hooah" (and it's various forms) thing is just a general military saying that we use as well.

I will admit, I've never heard a CAP cadet use "Airpower".

C/2Lt Henderson said:
im in AFJROTC personally. What are some of the differences between the two?

CAP does;

Radiological Monitoring
Search and Rescue
Disater Relief
Emergency Services
Observation Missions
Supply and Material Transportion
Boarder Patrol
Homelad Security Missions

We also do other AF assigned missions, such as O Flight's.

EDIT: Oh ya,

C/SrA Adam Seman
ANCOIC
Golden Armor Composite Squadron, Ft.Knox, KY
15077-KY-GLR

Last edited:
In reference to the post above.
O-flights are not missions, and they are not AF assigned. O-flights are one of the many training tools CAP has to offer cadets who have a interest in flying. It allows cadets to have hands on experience in a plane and working with a pilot.
If you look at our missions as a organization you will notice that Cadet Programs is just one out of 3. The others being Search and rescue, and aerospace education. Our main goal is not to be cadet centered. We do some missions for the AF and Homeland Security. Some of the work we can do would be search and rescue, border patrol, and even walking up and down the flight line doing security for an air show. Cadets can participate in most of the activities listed; however, there are some limitations. Because the majority of cadets are minors they can not participate in some SAR missions, and border patrol.
Other difference's would be in the grade structure, how we promote, and training. We are also the Auxiliary of the USAF.
We also have Senior Members. They are the adults in the program. Some work with the cadet programs, to help run things and assist in the training of cadets. But others may only work in the SAR missions, or even at Group, Region, or Wing level.

There’s are many more things that make us different from JROTC units, but when you narrow it down it's the goal of the programs.

Back to the Air power and hoorah thing. I have never heard a cadet in CAP say air power. And come to think about it, I have never heard anyone say air power. My Sq likes to use Hoorah, and many others around mine. I guess it matters where you go, sort of like the soda vs pop thing.

Last edited:
Agreed, I've never heard "Air Power" in CAP. I say that's a hold-over to the hollywood ramboness that sometimes permeates CAP from time to time, as well as a hold over from the old Army days in our roots.

But it is indeed the Air Force saying. Both works... we say "Hoorah" from time to time.

On the Search and Rescue thing... it's "Operations" now. We've branched out of the search and rescue thing to include more counterdrug and 'homeland security' missions. The way a unit (or even a wing) works depends on it's location. For example, here in Central New York (USA) we do no SAR outside the random ELT mission. However, in Pennsylvania, CAP is state funded and their primary SAR agency.

Just depends on where you are and how involved you want to be.

alliehz said:
In reference to the post above.
O-flights are not missions, and they are not AF assigned. O-flights are one of the many training tools CAP has to offer cadets who have a interest in flying. It allows cadets to have hands on experience in a plane and working with a pilot.
If you look at our missions as a organization you will notice that Cadet Programs is just one out of 3. The others being Search and rescue, and aerospace education. Our main goal is not to be cadet centered. We do some missions for the AF and Homeland Security. Some of the work we can do would be search and rescue, border patrol, and even walking up and down the flight line doing security for an air show. Cadets can participate in most of the activities listed; however, there are some limitations. Because the majority of cadets are minors they can not participate in some SAR missions, and border patrol.
Other difference's would be in the grade structure, how we promote, and training. We are also the Auxiliary of the USAF.
We also have Senior Members. They are the adults in the program. Some work with the cadet programs, to help run things and assist in the training of cadets. But others may only work in the SAR missions, or even at Group, Region, or Wing level.

There’s are many more things that make us different from JROTC units, but when you narrow it down it's the goal of the programs.

Back to the Air power and hoorah thing. I have never heard a cadet in CAP say air power. And come to think about it, I have never heard anyone say air power. My Sq likes to use Hoorah, and many others around mine. I guess it matters where you go, sort of like the soda vs pop thing.

Actaully you are wrong. As of Dec. 7, 2005 O-Flights are now AF Assigned Missions

http://cap.gov/documents/CAP_CC_Glider_Letter_Dec_05.pdf

http://cap.gov/documents/AF_XO_Glider_Letter_Dec_05.pdf

The * is for programs cadets under 18 may participate in;

Radiological Monitoring
Search and Rescue*
Disater Relief*
Emergency Services*
Observation Missions
Supply and Material Transportion
Boarder Patrol
Homelad Security Missions*

Last edited:
OnceAnEagle said:
Agreed, I've never heard "Air Power" in CAP. I say that's a hold-over to the hollywood ramboness that sometimes permeates CAP from time to time, as well as a hold over from the old Army days in our roots.

But it is indeed the Air Force saying. Both works... we say "Hoorah" from time to time.

On the Search and Rescue thing... it's "Operations" now. We've branched out of the search and rescue thing to include more counterdrug and 'homeland security' missions. The way a unit (or even a wing) works depends on it's location. For example, here in Central New York (USA) we do no SAR outside the random ELT mission. However, in Pennsylvania, CAP is state funded and their primary SAR agency.

Just depends on where you are and how involved you want to be.

True. My Wing does SAR, Obseravtion Missions, and alot of other stuff.

We are requested to have repeling, because of the mountianous terrain.

Last edited:
Well, they changed it back to "mission" status. Interesting, I guess a lot happened while I was gone. I should give my sq a visit monday and see what's up. (I wont return to my position until June)

alliehz said:
Well, they changed it back to "mission" status. Interesting, I guess a lot happened while I was gone. I should give my sq a visit monday and see what's up. (I wont return to my position until June)

Sorry if a seemed a bit overbearing, CAP is my life.

Cadet Seaman said:
Sorry if a seemed a bit overbearing, CAP is my life.
Thats too bad. I think life outside of CAP is actually pleasant. I guess I'm just tried of the people and politics that come along with being in CAP. As for being overbearing, you didn't come close to what I'm used too in my Sq.

alliehz said:
Thats too bad. I think life outside of CAP is actually pleasant. I guess I'm just tried of the people and politics that come along with being in CAP. As for being overbearing, you didn't come close to what I'm used too in my Sq.

Well, my family is all military or retired military, so this is the closest thing I have until I join the Guard. I try and do my best in everything I do.

While I do have a life outside CAP it consists of airsoft, finding a job, cutting wood, building models, reading and trying to get enough money to buy a laptop.

guys, i know i should search for this but i want an inside view. what is CAP? civil air patrol yes, but like a JROTc? what?

FULLMETALJACKET said:
guys, i know i should search for this but i want an inside view. what is CAP? civil air patrol yes, but like a JROTc? what?
Look at the page befor this one.

Civil Air Patrol is a dying thing in NJ. We only have like 516 cadets and that is not even alot. I am only a c/sRa but we have to recuit or we not going even have planes or SAREX. we have to use this :horsie:

[removal of ridculous amount of spaces ~Crazy]

Seniors in this Unit: 27

[removal of ridculous amount of spaces ~Crazy]

Seniors in this Wing: 615
Cadets in this Unit: 16
Cadets in this Wing: 591

Turner said:
Civil Air portal is a dieing thing In NJ we only have like 516 cadets and that is not even alot i am only a c/sRa but we have to recuit or we not going even have planes or Sraex we have to use this :horsie:

[removal of ridculous amount of spaces]

Seniors in this Unit: 27

[removal of ridculous amount of spaces]

Seniors in this Wing: 615
Cadets in this Unit: 16Cadets in this Wing: 591

Ok, a little edit - please re-read your posts. Apparently you are as dyslexic as I am - just takes a few more seconds to read over what you post.

Also, you have the coolest abbreviation in the entire cadet program - C/SrA. Please do it right.

CAP is a dying program everywhere. In their efforts to keep the cadet program numbers increasing, National has managed to push away their more experienced, older cadets. Younger officers with undeveloped leadership skills are being trusted to take over squadrons, which is very frustrating. Promotions are becoming based on book knowledge, testing, drill, and time in grade, instead of maturity and the application of the book knowledge.

Emergency Services have become a "let's do this and keep it looking good." In all honesty, I could just be in the ES part of the program. My theory - if I'm doing my job, I honestly don't care how the media see's me when I come off of a mission, as long as I found that person, that plane, that ELT and my job is complete - I consider myself doing pretty good.

During a SAREX, I had an officer come up to me and ask why my hair was not in regs. He said it was a bad look on public eye. I asked him to look at my boots, look at my uniform and look at my gear. If I came strutting out of the woods with my hair up, my boots shined, my uniform clean, and my gear clean (it always looks like I just put it on - NOTHING moves unless i move it - <3 my blackhawk), then I'm going to have a hard time convincing that mother that I just did my very best looking for her child. I look undedicated, and considering my surrounding, unprofessional. I don't step in mud on purpose, and I don't create my own battle scars, but I just do my job. That's what I think CAP is all about.

However, everybody is trying to be a hero and emerge looking cool and refreshed. Doesn't happen. I don't understand how you can do that.

So... CAP can have it's Aerospace, it's now effect up GTM3,2,1 stages... and all that jazzz.... i'm gonna go play victim and give people hell when they mess up... :p

>*CrAzY*< said:
Emergency Services have become a "let's do this and keep it looking good." In all honesty, I could just be in the ES part of the program. My theory - if I'm doing my job, I honestly don't care how the media see's me when I come off of a mission, as long as I found that person, that plane, that ELT and my job is complete - I consider myself doing pretty good.

During a SAREX, I had an officer come up to me and ask why my hair was not in regs. He said it was a bad look on public eye. I asked him to look at my boots, look at my uniform and look at my gear. If I came strutting out of the woods with my hair up, my boots shined, my uniform clean, and my gear clean (it always looks like I just put it on - NOTHING moves unless i move it - <3 my blackhawk), then I'm going to have a hard time convincing that mother that I just did my very best looking for her child. I look undedicated, and considering my surrounding, unprofessional. I don't step in mud on purpose, and I don't create my own battle scars, but I just do my job. That's what I think CAP is all about.

However, everybody is trying to be a hero and emerge looking cool and refreshed. Doesn't happen. I don't understand how you can do that

Take it from a PJ, there aren't any heroes when it comes to SAR, just a mission to do and uniform standards are not a factor, equipment and performance standards are. Every SAREX you guys do needs to be treated like the real thing. No one should ever be thinking, "well, it's just an exercise."

You've got the right mindset, now you just have to work at slamming that reality home to the others, but also don't let them bring you down, stay motivated.

I was always proud of the CAP cadets that came through PJOC, APJOC, Hawk Mtn when I'd help out. For the most part, they seemed willing and eager to learn, and very serious about what we had to teach them, those that weren't went away quickly.

Back